I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU -- [April]

I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU Dance number 33 by Legs & Co.
Performed by  Rose Royce and reaching No 14 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 28/04/77 Duration of dance 2.31 mins
Dancer -- Pauline.

Pauline 33                  Lulu 32                      Rosie 32
Sue 32                       Patti 29                      Gill 29
A link to the dance--
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25bs62_legs-co-i-wanna-get-next-to-you-totp-tx-28-04-1977_creation

I wonder if Pauline was nervous before this performance. She becomes the first member of Legs & Co, since their inception to perform a solo dance. Pity it was to this rather dull and uninspiring song, but she performed admirably to it. Serene and graceful in her red dress, she took it all in her stride. I wont pretend this gets many plays on my list, but it was pleasant to see it again. If the song was a little more uplifting i would have gone higher, but for this i will award 6.5 out of 10. But well done Pauline.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Suefan
Whilst I've been critical of Flick's casting as regards that lonely fellow this was a good choice.  Giving Pauline this solo would have been a real vote of confidence, well deserved I might add, and she does a great job.  Although not scoring as a rule this performance is certainly in the eight bracket for me.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Paperboyplod
Pauline does a fine job here, considoring that it's her first solo routine, her mauve dress blends nicely in with her surroundings, which I have to say looks like a toilet roll has been unravelled, & lengths of it have been hung up around the set, & at times these decorations get in the way of the dancing, like with Sunny, & the song itself is a bit meh! for me as well.

But overall I think I quite like this routine despite it's short-comings!

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

bucksby
I do like the song but it isn't easy to dance to at all so Pauline does well. 8 out of 10.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

PattiForPM
I feel bad about this because everything about Pauline in this Dance is beautiful and she looks more than fine in that lovely dress.  Her moves are smooth and sensual too.  Everything outside the Dancer though is problematic for me.  The song is indeed very difficult to dance to with little discernible rhythm and the decor, loo rolls over lily pads, is truly outlandish.  If one focuses on Pauline it is possible to ignore most of these distractions but they make it an effort and looking at this lovely lady dancing should never require this.  Pauline gets 7/10 on her own and this is one of the best examples of Legs fighting adversity for me.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Suefan, i will accept your score of 8 as your first contribution to our scoring system. Please feel free to join in with future scores if you wish. Please dont think that we are demeaning Flicks work by scoring it, but its just another way of gauging her fine choreography and it will be of interest to find out what comes out on top.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU -- 1977

Floid Fan
How inconsiderate of Rose Royce to title this song the way it is. I'm getting it confused with 'You're Gonna Get next to Me'. But there is a link as Pauline takes a starring role in both.
Carl

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU -- 1977

74benja81
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU -- 1977

Err, think you have the wrong dance here Benja, i reckon you mean `You`re Gonna Get Next To Me` ?

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU -- 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Stu

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Stu
The slower routines aren't always my favourites, and I'm always slightly disappointed when one of our girls are missing never mind five. So I guess I should really hate this, but I don't, it really works, and probably Flick should take some credit for routine and personnel selection here. I'm a big Pauline fan and I think she comes up with a beautiful performance to a gorgeous song. It's one I enjoy more each time I see it.

8.5/10

Stuey

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Old Bill
I think everyone is in complete agreement here... Pauline does absolutely brilliantly, looks the ticket - demure and alluring, and that little cutesy smile is beautiful. She moves so gracefully and matches the song perfectly.
But it's a such a dull song... and the loo-roll set would be better if said bathroom tissue didn't keep getting in the way of said lovely Pauline.

If I was just marking Pauline she'd be a 8.5, but for the overful performance it's just a 6/10 from me.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Andeebee
mmmm - hard one but a 5 thou

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

VintageVideos
Ah the lovely Pauline, and lovely she is! And she is obviously the girl 'to get next to', being also the star in the routine to the similarly titled song by Bo Kirkland & Ruth Davis.
Unfortunately the song is nothing special, but at least this is a real routine (unlike the other 'getting next to' song).
7.5 /10

Vin

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Doc
Nice to see Pauline getting a starring role for a change, it's a shame that they chose to decorate the set with toilet rolls and give her such a bland song to dance to.  An 8 I think.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Who's That Hurll
'I Wanna Get Next To You'  has Pauline on her own in a nice purple dress and she turns in a pleasant enough dance, whilst her washing dries around her.
The spooky glow in the dark element at the start and finish give it some more character.
6.5/10

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Old Grey Whistler
It's nice to see Pauline get the first Legs & Co solo dance. as all too often she seemed to struggle to get as much camera time as the others.  I think she does as good a job as anyone could have done with this  rather forgettable song.
Once again, we are left having to peer through the set dressing which is a little irritating.  I will give this 7.5 out of 10.

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Colm
Another stunning piece of soul music from Rose Royce, and Pauline does it justice with her beautiful hand movements and her fine spins. This routine perfectly fits the tune; I do feel the solarising effect at the start and end are a touch out-of-place, but I don't mind the set so much.

Score: 9

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Lookmacinanger
Good performance by Pauline and she is the first lady from Legs and Co to do a solo routine they can never take that away from her. 8/10

Re: I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU

Angie
Fantastic solo by Pauline.