I WANT YOU BACK -- 12/02/1970

I Want You Back
Performed by The Jackson Five and reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 12/02/1970 Duration of dance - 2.26 mins
Dancers: Andi, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0k8w_4xyi4

This smash hit (No. 1 in the US, No. 2 in the UK) was the first chart entry of the Jackson Five. Michael Jackson was 11 years old and yet an unknown to the public, but that would change very soon. The song was the first of four consecutive number one hits for the Jackson Five in the US and the first of a string of sizeable UK hits as well.

This is classic Pan's People with one of their earliest surviving TOTP performances. There aren't any solos and all the girls perform synchronous moves for most of the routine. Here in Germany these dancers would've probably been called "Go-Go Girls" though I'm not sure if this term has the same meaning elsewhere. However, I think the dance suits the song very well.

I really dig the classic Pan's People line-up, and this is a joyous and cheerful performance that I never get tired of viewing. It's not quite top notch, but still a favourite, so my rating is 9.5/10.

I find it extremely hard to choose a Dancer of the Day, but have finally made up my mind to go for Dee Dee, who seems to particularly enjoy this routine.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Yep its happy and smiling, its a great song, the girls are wearing ultra sexy outfits and i find it entertaining. I must try to include more classic Pans on my play lists, if they are all as good as this then i may get more enthused by them.

Dancer of the day is very tricky to choose as they all are doing the same moves. But on this occasion i will go for the genius herself, Flick.

Its very watchable, though not quite in the 9s, so its 8.75 out of 10 from me.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

That early 1970 period of TOTP is glorious - exciting, vibrant, fast-paced, a part of the trend-setting scene as well as following them - and this routine epitomises that in two-and-a-half minutes.

Yes, there are moments when each of the girls makes minor fluffs - Andi's at the start is particularly noticeable - but they get back into the routine easily and really give it all.  I imagine rehearsing dances like this was a knackering experience all round.

My score: 8.5

My dancer of the day: After much deliberation between her and Louise, I'm rooting this time for Dee Dee - smiling throughout and clearly conveying fun with a slight of sexual assurance.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
I'm thinking

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

More synchronous dancing action from Pan's People, wearing pink mini-skirts, & not much else, if I may say so. It's all very upbeat, just like the track they're dancing to, with a few periodical high-kicks, & other interesting moves, including some fast pirouetting, & arm flaying, almost like they're giving a salute, the set looks fairly insignificant, as typical of that period in TOTPs history, so there's not much worth mentioning about that really, this  PP routine's certainly a favourite one of mine though.

8/10

DotD:-

Andrea

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

VintageVideos
Thanks everyone for the comments so far and nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes this one. Yes there's not too much to say about it yet it has a certain appeal to it, probably it's just raising my spirits to see those beautiful young girls dancing so happily.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

PattiforPM
I'm thinking too

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

VintageVideos
LOL that's indeed something new for OFTD - a think tank!

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Ok I don't watch this one often but maybe i should

Likes :
Some good moves
Busy fast dance
Good timing
Song
Costumes look good when the green lights not on.
Girls look beautiful

Loses marks for:
Green lights on girls wearing orange costumes- sort of reverse oompah loompah colour scheme- it's wrong.
Song is similar to mamas pearl which is a far better Pans jackson routine I think and this reminds me to forward wind to that.
Babs in back row too much
Messy distracting set background.

dotd = the gorgeous Andrea Rutherford
7.5 only sorry there are better but thank you Flick - I like to think this is one of the routines that made Flick sit it out on the sidelines to control the camera and lighting.
Again a good dance to review thanks VV

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
9/10 DOTD Louise

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Yes this is a classic Go-Go routine for me and I love the moves and the outfits.  Those flesh coloured boots always leave me weak-kneed too.  There are a few small gaffes to be sure but it's a tough work-out and works well nevertheless.  I agree with what has been said about the coloured lighting and set but the ladies do more than enough to distract us from all this in my opinion.  I just love the joy in Dee Dee's performance so she gets the nod for DotD from me.  I rank this one highly and would say it's my second favorite early Pans Dance and give it 9/10

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Suefan
My knees remain strong in the face of those boots but overall this is another good routine with all the elements working well and I'm giving it an 8.5.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Andeebee
Not top of my list a so so go go dance routine, but infectious (prefer the 72-75 years)..... 7/10

Dee Dee top marks for me..

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

VintageVideos
Thanks for your votes, guys. Dee Dee has now taken the joint lead with Louise, so any new vote could tip the scales.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

bucksby
Great routine to a classic song. Love the outfits. All the girls look wonderful and it is great to see Flick in a routine. There is a great deal of energy and all the girls are on top form. Hard to pick a dancer of the day but will I will go for Ruth as she seems to stand out a bit more in this routine and it is a definate 9 out of 10 for me.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Old Bill
Very pacey and full of energy! And a great song to dance too, everyone is clearly really enjoying themselves and it just excudes fun! And the booty shaking (and indeed booty-wearing!) gives a bit of spice too.

An 8/10 for me. I was going to say Flick for  DotD but is there a little slip up at 1.19?

So lovely Louise gets it instead.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
lovely louise hits the front then- bless her xxx

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

I like the satiny outfits on this one,although the lighting does play havoc with your eyes. Are they in pink or orange?, I'm not sure. One thing is for certain is that are six peaches on stage and they are bringing us an energy packed performance.
It's good to see a clearer version of this (well done to those responsible) and it's 9/10 from me and Dancer of the day is Andi.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Doc
No real stand outs here, but Andi does as well as anyone so she get my vote for dotd.

Re: I WANT YOU BACK -- 1970

Gorgeous Daze
I make no pretence of being a fan of these early synchronous routines, but this happy dance in skimpy pink is one of the exceptions. There are a few minor mistakes but it doesn't matter because it's all in keeping with the fun and smiles of the performance. Michael's vocals actually have a positive effect on the dancing, and I can't think of another child singer you could say that about.

DOTD is Andrea, whose cheeky performance more than makes up for being caught out early on.

8.5/10