I WILL SURVIVE [December]

I WILL SURVIVE   Dance/performance number 195 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Gloria Gaynor
and reaching number one in the UK charts on 17th March 1979, staying there for 4 weeks
Original broadcast date  27/12/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.56 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 176
Sue      176
Rosie    173
Patti     171
Gill       169
Lulu      167
A link to the dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrPDkq5K45I
again thanks to Glenn for the link

SADLY THIS WONT BE SHOWN ON BBC4.
*******************************
Legs & Co dance on the second Christmas show to the Gloria Gaynor smash hit from March 1979 `I Will Survive` and shes took inspiration from the promotional video that was shot for it. Ive always had visions of Flick gathering the girls around and asking "okay girls, who can roller skate". Patti puts her hand up and then Flick informs her that her rollerskating talents will be put to good use. Whilst Patti is quite rightly starring in this one, the other five also get dealt a good hand. Each of them are allowed plenty of camera time in their off the shoulder green numbers and each look a million dollars and they get chance to show us their sultry expressions to the full. Patti on the other hand is not only lumbered with wheels, shes also got to carry that awkward Boa feather thing around with her. But on the whole she does very well.

A few things that catch my attention in this. Dave & Mike in their intro sitting on the Ring My Bell chimney pots. Does that suggest both shows were filmed on the same day, guess it does. If so Legs or members of Legs performed five times on that day. Literal choreography from Flick on the words `Lay down and die` the girls lie down, but happily dont die. The sparse and quite puny silver Christmas tree, really is that the best the Beeb could offer. Finally, towards the end of the routine the girls are on the stairs and are quite obviously waiting for the cue to walk up them, that just looks a bit tacky. But i've always found this routine to be most watchable and i'm not grumbling about any of it.

DOTD. The five green goddess's look fantastic but how can i look further than the free wheeling `Patti`.  Hmm, clean sweep territory maybe ? But as ever, please vote for who impressed on the day.

*******************************
EDIT----Well theres my clean sweep prediction up in smoke. But im glad folk are choosing correctly by that i mean not just going with the flow, if there is such a thing.
*******************************

Rating--Most enjoyable routine, to a song a freely admit got right on my nerves back then and i find it a bit tedious even now. I at `9.5 out of 10` though.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Andy
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

I find this one quite lovely and the start with the camera ascending the slender North Face of Mt Menhenick is very good indeed.  I love the green gowns and of course Patti does a great job on wheels.  The only negatives for me are an unforgiveable piece of camera-work near the end when Gill is summarily decapitated and the motion-blur of Patti's coverage at times.  The song for me is one of those heard-it-one-time-too-many tunes but overall this is very well done and I particularly like the use of the spiral staircase and the great poses.  Ah well, it's 9/10  for me and I award top marks for Artistic Impression and Compulsory Figures to the endlessly versatile Patti Hammond  although Sue was very very close indeed.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Gorgeous Daze
The sight of the girls just tingles the senses too much to call this a flop, but in terms of concept and execution I don't think it's far off. The set just doesn't fit the bill for the drama queen song, just like the cheapskate promo video. It ´╗┐looks make-do, strike-hit...green goddesses to the rescue. I guess that with four routines to come up with for Christmas planning and prep were even more time-squeezed than usual and we should certainly cut Flick, the girls and the team some slack if it sometimes shows.

One cheapo tinsel tree decorated courtesy of E. Scrooge is rather sorry, but on the other hand, placed there, Harrods could stuff their finest, it's visibility that's most important. I never thought I would describe Patti as novicey but from her rudimentary ability I suspect she last got her skates on circa 1963. She represents autonomy but in truth it needed a virtuoso display to work. I assume she was chosen as the least unaccomplished, possibly after a round of trials. Not that she's anything but totally exonerated by bringing joy to the world through being so cute and smiley. It's like inverse astronomy with her in beaming orbit around the other heavenly bodies.

The dancing on this restrictive set lacks impact for me. It is though a good set for poses, utilized for one of the year's best opening shots with the camera moving up the dangling leg of a sultry Sue. And later facilitating 1a.m. heartbreak on the disco fire escape. One day there will be Street Pastors to deal with that kind of thing. The Busby Berkeleyesque flower head lay-down is a good idea wasted, falling flat with no overhead shot. Going up the stairs (wince) it appears they momentarily get stuck in a queue, with a disconcerted Lulu at the rear looking down for movement. But there are good close-ups...Patti simply stunning in festive green with red boa sporting my fave hairstyle of hers...Hmm...a real curate's egg for Christmas this one.   7.5/10  DOTD Patti

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Colm
All the ladies look glorious in green, and there's some beautiful facial expressions on display here. Delightful choreography for the verses - and once more, we can tell you're not really crying, Pauline! I also agree Lulu's smile immediately after this moment is heart-warming.

I love the pose held when the second chorus ends, placing Rosie front and centre is an inspired touch.

DotD: For handling the task of Skater Girl with grace and elegance, Patti

Score: 9

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Legs & Co., have come down from the 'BBC chimney pots', & now hang about a stairwell that looks like it leads upto a balcony area of a luxury apartment block,
Dressed in mint green costumes with nicely contrasting fluffy red scarves, they're rather smart looking, & the outfits suit them all.
There's not much dancing that one can do in this environment as there's little doubt n the way of ground space but, the twirling about, led by Patti, shows that you can still make a great dance routine out of whatever resources that you've got.

8/10

Patti

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

We are now at the last two routines for 1979 by our ladies. And again Flick and the ladies don't let up on great routines. The of these is One of the best disco records ever. And this is " I Will Survive " by Gloria Gaynor. The Ladies are in Green Sparkly costumes. Five of the ladies are on a round metal staircase. And no dout about it we have the last dancer who isn't on the staircase, is the Dotd. And this is the one and only Miss Patti Hammond. But I must say that is Camera shot at the begin of the routine that a killer. The camera goes up to the first lady on the staircase, and this is Sue who gives a fantastic look to the camera, what beautiful face. That look could have made her my Dotd. But no that goes to Patti. Just think when Flick came up with this routine. I wonder if it was only Patti could roller skate, but she does a great job all round.

Another great routine so the score will be 9 out of 10.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

PaulF
Another mighty fine routine and performance. Fantastic opening shot of sue pushes mark up to a 9.

DOTD Patti.
Paul

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

With more time for Flick to develop it this routine might have been a real winner with the ladies perhaps emerging from those stairs onto a rather larger upper floor but as it stands I don't think it quite works, what with Patti skating around the obstacle course that was the studio floor while the other five ladies are limited to going up and down the stairs so I'm giving this a 7.5.
 All the girls look smashing and pose very provocatively in those costumes which bring to mind summer breezes even in the depths of winter and combined with the opening I could easily choose Sue for my Dotd but that goes to Patti for not falling over.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

SuPaLu
The routine as a whole doesn't really work for me as there isn't much dancing,though Patti does a good job skating around the studio floor.8/10
DotD:Patti

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

PattiForPM
It's funny, I really like the strutting and posing on the fire escape and think the ladies totally make the most of their space here and although the Xmas tree is a tad sad for itself I rather like the overall set too.  Maybe I was right not to go into interior decorating after all

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Andeebee
God awful disco anthem, hands up who hates the track?, nonetheless green goddesses and Patti (the short straw) on rollerskates, what more do you want.....

Simply and utterly compelling.

Scores: 10/10

Goddess of the day: Sue (just for the lovely and hypnotic pan from leg to face) simply angelic.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

JEZ
I realy love the feel of this xmas routine  i think the girls look lovely in their green dresses , the song as u know is a classic , i willgive a 9.5

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Very nice use of the platform and spiral staircase in the choreography. Lovely green outfits, too. I'm sure as others have said, that Patti drew the short straw when the roles were handed out. But she does a grand enough job to get the Dancer of the Day prize from me.

9/10
You've all done vey well!

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Old Grey Whistler
A good disco track and an interesting concept for the routine obviously inspired by the video.
The girls were looking great as usual. I do like those green dresses. The set obviously provided some restrictions but I think they managed it well and it was a bit different from anything they had done previously, which considering they had been together for over three years by this point was quite an achievement.
My score is 9.25 out of 10.
I was tempted to give DOTD to Gill who was giving some smouldering looks to camera, but I think Patti deserves it for staying upright and performing the role that probably no one else wanted.

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

VintageVideos
The routine starts very promising indeed but unfortunately it doesn't stay that way. There is much too less dancing, and much too much standing on the stairs and just posing. Besides, due to the confined space the dancing is often too static. Patti's skating is a nice idea but it's not enough to captivate me for a full 2 1/2 minutes. For a change, I don't mind the track though.

7.5 / 10

SotD: Patti
Vin

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

AC/PD
After drawing the short straw for her Come Back And Finish What You Started trapeze solo, Pauline must have felt relieved to have dodged the truncated 'Humphrey' on this particular occasion. Perhaps they all took a roller-skating trial run beforehand...with hilarious consequences. Half the time, it looks as if Patti has been given a gentle shove to get her wheels in motion, although to give Patti some credit the only onscreen wobble emanates from the staircase and platform apparatus during the ascent of the other five ladies, so perhaps Patti was safer than the others. Concerning Pauline's crying moment mentioned by Col, there's more tears coming from that weeping Christmas tree which does look to be the wrong end of cheap.
Overall there seems to be more visual content than there is dance content in this particular routine but considering how attractive they all are, that's nothing to cry about. The initial camera pan which moves from where Sue's managed to get her leg over the bar and upwards has her marked out as a DOTD contender from the off. To damn with faint praise, she does look rather good. With heavy praise, she looks superb, sensational and sultry.  Her brief moment up on the platform cements the position in her favour.
9/10
DOTD: Sue

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Adorable Gillusion
6.5/10   DOTD...Patti
Stu

Re: I WILL SURVIVE [December]

Stu
Good stuff. Is this the first time we've chosen roller-skates from the prop cupboard? I can't remember any other times. Anyway I liked it, and well done to roller girl.

8/10

DOTD  Patti

Stuey
12