IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME
Dance/performance number 179 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Bellamy Brothers  reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  06/09/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.42 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue plus cuddly toys.

Sue      161
Pauline 160
Rosie    158
Patti     157
Gill       155
Lulu      153
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26tiid_legs-co-if-i-said-you-had-a-beautiful-body-would-you-hold-it-against-me-totp-tx-06-09-1979_creation

After what felt like an eternity, TOTPs on BBC4 returned to our screens this week and so with it the Legs & Co comments section. One can only admire the way Flick comes up with a routine that fits the extraordinarily long song title so well. The six girls, who of course have to take the male lead in this as there furry dancing partners are only 3 foot 6 inch in height have to cling on to the rumps of the animals, which does look a bit ungainly but its the obvious place to put there hands. The constant shifting of the bears from one side to the other does look a bit like they are holding on to sacks of potatoes, trying to get a better grip. But i concede its a difficult ask to look elegant when presented with such cumbersome objects.

As for the girls themselves, well just how stunning do they look in those tight fitting dresses. These are excellent outfits and arguably wasted on those bears. The setting does also remind me of a routine in 5 months time, when the girls once again find themselves in what i can only describe as a dinner-dance setting. Then they perform `Rock With You`, but with no male intervention.

But back to this routine. I quite like the move when the girls bob down one after the other on the alternate beat, that was good. Also like the bit near the end when we are treated to different expressions by the dancers as they gaze at there Ursine partners, even though Patti looks like shes about to drop hers, infact Miss Hammond seemed to struggle all routine long with her partner.

As for this song by The Bellemy Brothers, well its a pleasant enough tune and i dont mind it. But back then i would have pretended not to, wouldn't have been deemed cool to like songs like this back then.

DOTD. Well im going to go for `Rosie`, who seemed to cope quite well with her Big Ted.

Rating, i doubt this will trouble the top of the table, but its by no means a stinker. Im at `7 out of 10`

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Paperboyplod
The relatively long track title, could mean a couple of different thInge, either the literal holding of one's body againist the that of the other person, if they compimented about the other person's 'beautiful body'as what's been employed for this dance routine, or it could've meant about the possibility, of having action taken against them, if they had paid that same compliment, which maybe quite topical at the mall ment, but that's obviouly another thead.
Holding the bears next to themselves made it look very awkward, dancing about the stage, I imagine that it made forwards vision a bit restricted, & add to that, having to move along in high-heels, a false step by any single dancer, & there my have been a dominoes effect, with one dancer tripping over, bashing into another dancer, & they all fall onto the floor, & everybody's away injured, & so we may not have any Legs & Co. performances the next week.
But at least there were six cuddly figures on stage, & I wonder if they got to keep their bears as well.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Absolutely love it.....  The ladies are simply stunning in their gorgeous outfits and they cope very well with their cumbersome partners while Flick's invention is a delight.
Patti's partner has been at the mead rather more than his chums but Pauline lends a hand and she is my Dotd while the rouitne gets a 9.5.

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Well this song is not a favourite of mine and the teddies are cumbersome and in one case frankly out to sabotage the performance but one cannot fail to admire the poise of these lovely ladies under these difficult circumstances and the dresses are masterpieces as others have noted.  The tight lower regions combined with the palpitation-inducing precipitously plunging backs demand our full attention and I think Patti's ongoing tribulations add a comedic element which rounds out a fine rendition.  I agree with the radiant Rosie for DotD and I'm awarding 9/10 for Flick and her Team turning a song I would never listen to into a Dance I simply have to watch

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
This lightweight, well-executed comedy record, built around a single risqué play on words, requires a lightweight, comic, well-executed dance routine: and Flick & the girls deliver just that.

Yes, those bears look a bit awkward to manoeuvre, whilst maintaining the elegant poise these lovely cocktail frocks require: but it's from that tension between clumsy humfing and sophisticated grace that the comedy arises.

I can't improve on P4PM's deft description of  the outfits. Rosie always shines whenever there's a comic edge to the routine, which makes her DotD for me.

Full marks.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Colm
I think getting teddy bears as dancing partners here is a stroke of genius - not just the word play on holding, but also a more subtle dig at the corniness of the song and its title.

I have to say, my favourite reactions going down the line at the end belong to Lulu and Sue, but for smiling throughout, my DotD goes to Rosie.

Score: 8

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Old Grey Whistler
I feel that this performance does highlight the occasional limitations that having an all girl troupe could throw up. Although it is a pretty decent Legs  & Co routine, I think it would have made for a potentially classic Ruby Flipper dance.  Floid, Phil and maybe even Gavin dancing with 3 of the girls could have looked stylish and sexy.
As it is, the use of the bears was a good idea. It gives the routine its own identity, even though Patti's looks as though it has had a very heavy night. I have to say as well that their dresses are amongst the best that they ever wore in my opinion, and their hair and accessories are also just right.
I will give this 8 out of 10 and give Rosie DOTD.

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Interesting point about Ruby Flipper here OGW and one I hadn't thought about at all but on reflection I quite agree this would have made a potential big hit for the RF ladies and gents.  It could have compared with the formidable Heart on My Sleeve or the lost and lamented A Little Bit More or Afternoon Delight perchance.  Maybe we don't think often enough about whether songs might have suited the "other" Troupe but I can easily imagine this one in the Summer of 1976 so thanks for the shove in that direction

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Legs & Co. dancing with the Bear-llamy Brothers could be the thinking behind the use of extra large cuddly bears, Flick possibly mishearing the name of the artist behind IISYHABBWYHIAM. Misinterpretation also occurred with the previous years Smurf Song routine where 'a smokey hole' became a 'small key-hole.
The visual elegance of the gliding girls, partnered by the backwards bow-tie wearing bears works because of the family-friendly music show the routine appeared on, similar to the tiny elephant toy from '78's Supernature super-dance : appealing to the young of the family.
An alternative dancing strategy could have been achieved by a call back to Ruby Flipper's Floid, Gavin and Philip to partner any three from six and giving half of Legs & Co. the dance off. However, much more preferable would have been for the ladies to pair up with each other, which may not have been able to come to fruition on TV in 1979.
Lovely set, stylish hair and a dance routine more enjoyable than might have been expected to marry a countryish love song. It's a sham that Patti's partner's been on the honey and whisky shorts beforehand, but that somehow adds to the charm of the piece. Lulu so very nearly earns DOTD for her infectious charm and endearing nature throughout, but Pauline just has that extra smidgeon of pizazz and overall grace.
9/10
DOTD: Pauine

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

VintageVideos
Legs & Co. and the amazing dancing bears! After having watched this routine for the first time on Friday I would have probably given a similar rating as Ryan. But with repeated viewing it is definitely growing on me. Yeah the ladies may look a bit clumsy on the surface while holding their bears, but actually there is so much fun and humour in this performance. And have our girls ever looked more fashionable? Besides, I don't mind the record either. In fact I quite like it.
Kudos to Flick for taking the mickey out of and the bears into this routine.
9.5 / 10

DotD: Sue

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Adorable Gillusion
5/10  DOTD...Rosie

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Gorgeous Daze
This evening we find Legs & Co tripping the not-so-light fantastic with the height of clumsy elegance, not that fellow patrons seem bothered either way. Better partners than the bunch of mixed straws from Brown Girl In The Ring, eh girls? It gives a MOR song I now don't mind a welcome twist and it must have been a deceptively complex dance to memorize, with little if any repetition. They pitch their performance just right with undertones of the absurd, which Lulu and Rosie are particularly well-suited to. No disputing they look stunning in those dresses even if the proceedings elicit smiles rather than intakes of breath.

It's a tricky sequence when they have to support their neighbour's bear whilst handling their own and...oh sugar...Patti isn't impeccable. I can hardly bear it. Neither can she. But hey, it's comedy and it would have slipped through barely noticed. The girls do well although it was always going to be too clumsy to be a classic. I have to agree that there's just something - perhaps her smiles - in Pauline's general performance that nicks her the DOTD.

7.5/10

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

The routine starts like strictly meets Top of the pops. The ladies are wearing a white glamorous low cut backless dresses. The set is a small ballroom. The ladies are carrying large teddy bears in they arms, like dancing partners doing a formation dance. It isn't the flawless performance we usually get. We have Patti having difficult holding the large teddy bear. So not her usually good performance. Also in this routine we don't get any solos. So any of the ladies could be the dance of the day.

So my vote for the dancer of the day will go to my favourite Sue.

The score is 7 out of 10.

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

I don't get the teddies,it would have been better to get some male dancers to help out as the song title does scream out for a boy/girl dance.It would have been perfect for Ruby Flipper.I can see it now, Phil and Floid swanning about the dance-floor with their chosen partner getting impressive 10s from the judges.However,i'm only giving this 6/10.
DotD:Rosie

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Suefan
Its imaginative and inventive, with a dash of charm, a splash of honey, and a big cuddly cuddle!

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Here is an alternative routine to this song. The setting would similar to this one, with tables and chairs around the dancing area. The theme of the routine would be a dancing contest, in which couples have to be tapped on the shoulder and asked to leave the floor as they have been ejected from the contest.

Obviously our six dancers would need to be paired up with males. How about members of that evenings show, rather like that time in 78 when they performed to Boney M. The girls would have evening gowns on, the fellas would be in black tails with a number on their backs.

Now the nitty gritty part. Who would be the selected judge doing the shoulder tapping ? Which of our couples would be tapped first on the shoulder, and which of our couples would win ?

The whole routine would be comedy based. This would give the dancers an opportunity to show of their comedic talents. Once ejected, the dancers would sit on the chairs, watching the surviving couples slug it out. The winning girl would be presented with big bouquet of flowers, the male would get a large teddy bear.

One draw back to this routine idea is that the winning dancer who Flick chose in rehearsals, would in the eyes of the watching millions, be somehow thought of as the best dancer. Just an idea though, maybe choreography isn't my strong point.

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

VintageVideos
One thing I know, I certainly would have volunteered for one of the male partners

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

PattiForPM
Nice notion Ryan.  Given the corny lyrics maybe the Legs ladies could have rejected their male partners one by one as the silly line is delivered and ended up having one of their lively coffee sessions together as the finale

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

Yes i could see Rosie shining in my proposed routine. I could see her pulling her funny face as she gets ejected. For some reason i see Lulu just shrugging her shoulders and trudging off, Pauline and her partner could maybe laugh about it and go off arm in arm. Yikes, i see Gill throwing a strop and leaving her man standing there. That leaves just Sue & Patti with there partners. Now then Flick, how could you pick a winner ?

Re: IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME [September]

PattiForPM
Alphabetical order?