IN DULCI JUBILO -- 01/01/1976

In Dulci Jubilo
Performed by Mike Oldfield and reaching number 4 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 01/01/1976 Duration of dance - 2.47 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Lee, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDI1-bX-bI8

In February 1975, Mike Oldfield released his second single. The A-side was what wikipedia calls a "comic novelty song from the early 20th century", a tune called "Don Alfonso". The 45 sank so quickly that it is assumed it may have been withdrawn by the record company, and today it's probably the most obscure Oldfield single, achieving high prices on the collectors' market. To get back on topic, Oldfield put an instrumental version of an old Christmas carol called "In Dulci Jubilo" (sometimes referred to as "In Dulce Jubilo") on the flipside. The original is in macaronic (!) language which means it's a mixture of different languages, in this case German and Latin.

Later that year Oldfield rerecorded "In Dulci Jubilo", and this time it was picked as the A-side of his next single, coupled with a hitherto unnamed portion from "Ommadawn" which got aptly titled "On Horseback". The single charted on 20 December 1975, but – in spite of it being a Christmas carol – reached its peak position as late as 17 January 1976, climbing from No. 21 to No. 4.

The first regular TOTP after the Christmas editions of 1975 was aired on 1 January 1976, and it was hosted by Jimmy Savile which means we will most probably never see it again! This is another edition that was skipped by EinsFestival but luckily shown on UKGold, and that's where our copy comes from (again!).

Of all the festive records that Pan's People danced to over the years, this is probably my most favourite routine. From the opening shots of Sue's lovely solo, after which she is joined by Lee, a bit later Cherry, then Mary and finally Ruth, this dance builds up nicely until we can view all five fairies together. The setting is quite scarce but at least it doesn't detract from our girls. It's a happy, joyous dance and as such reflects the festive mood of the record.

For the rating, I can't quite give full marks, but it's still a very good routine, and so I will award

9.5 / 10

DotD: Well, there's just one choice for me here, and that's Sue. Her solo at the beginning is very impressive.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

PattiforPM
Thanks for the in depth background Vin.  I remember this being one of my air guitar-solo tunes as a callow youth but moving on swiftly I do like this and think the ladies look truly festive and the lightness of this dance nicely reflects the music.   It is indeed like a beautiful group of Fairies sneaking a midnight dance in your garden but alas you're too sleepy to see it unless you watch TOTPs the next day.   Sue's solo is great and once again her turns are flawless and her magnificence demands unequivocal DotD status as far as I'm concerned.  I do like the camerawork here too so thanks for this Xmas present and I would say this is a comfortable 9/10

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Hmm, im not as keen as you Vin on this one. Its certainly a very energetic performance which i guess helps to explain why the younger/fitter dancers enter at 20 second intervals with Ruth joining the party a full minute after the routine began. I find the song a bit annoying, to `Blue Peterish` for me. They should have recruited Ms Judd earlier to dance to this ! Still i have to give the dancers some credit, they put a lot of effort in here and i bet they were puffing and panting after the cameras stopped rolling.

DOTD, the unstoppable force that is `Sue` wins again.

Rating `8 out of 10`.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

This routine's about as traditional as they can get, set to a folky soundtrack, with the harmonious dance formation, dainty-looking black heels, & frilly net-curtains, sorry dresses, it just needed a nicer setting, what about the Blue Peter garden?, maybe that idea was taken on board for the future Ruby Flipper dance routine for co-incidentally, another Mike Oldfield track, Tubular Bells, although that version was by the Champs Boys, but I digress, back with this thread, what a stormer of a solo piece from Sue there.

9/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Not quite on a par with the recent spate of home runs but a very fine routine nonetheless.  The set looks good as do those costumes so a positive 8.5 from me, and for kicking things off with such aplomb its Sue once more for Dotd.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

VintageVideos
Thanks for the first batch of comments. Picking a festive routine was certainly the hardest part for this 'month of favourites' as Pan's People hardly ever danced to festive records at all, it seems. I could've simply gone for any other routine on a Christmas TOTP but, given that the weekly recurrency is maintained, there will just be two (or maybe three) opportunities to post a real festive routine, so my apologies if this week's offer isn't quite up to the standard of the other weeks.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

I guess its slightly odd that a dance troupe should be dancing to a festive record a week after Christmas, indeed into January. This was most definitely the only occasion this occurred.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Likes :
It's the girls
It's Mike Oldfield who I like for other tracks just not this one
Babs safely away from this one
It's better than I cant stop

Dislikes :
track a bit sissy and too Blue Peterish (Ryan you hit the nail on the head)
Not sexy
The wheeling out more and more dancers starting with Sue stuck out on her own at the start
holding hands at the end - it's wrong -a final curtain bow when nothing v good has happened earlier
Not really the style of dance the girls excelled at - too folky- so I'm having a bad day and - it's a choice between playing green river, trustmaker, one of these nights and this offering.......
could have dressed the girls a bit more xmassy for a xmas song
Mary Whitehouse would have approved
so many better routines were wiped

DOTD Sue for doing her best with the solo imparted on her
6.5 only from the east sussex jury

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

To be honest, I couldn't find any other festive record that Pan's People danced to, unless you include songs like 'My Sweet Lord' or 'Spirit In The Sky' which have a religious theme but aren't really festive.
It wasn't unusual during the 70s that Xmas records peaked in early January. The Top 30 featured on TOTP 01/01/76 was actually compiled for 27/12/75 and merely repeated the week after. The chart for the week after Christmas was often a 'frozen' chart during that time.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

I would imagine that along with the fur coated Barbados, those odd Space Ladies, I Only Have Eyes For You and "I Can't Give You Anything... this one was in the can before the team broke up for the holiday so it would have been down to the production team as to how they were ordered over the various shows.  This busy schedule, plus Big Spender, would certainly account for the lack of a dance on the 18 Dec show.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Colm
The outstanding thing about this routine is that - a few seconds of a layered shot aside - it's a continuous shot filmed on just one camera. And given the routine's intricacy, it's an impressive performance.

Score: 9

DotD: Sue

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Andeebee
Love this

10/10

DOTD: Sue

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

VintageVideos
Thanks to the seven chaps who rated this routine so far. Just a gentle reminder to all the others that this routine needs a few more ratings to be included on the favourites list.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

PaulF
Enjoyed this routine, Flick interpreted the fast pace of the music well into the dance and as always beautifully performed by the girls. 8.75/10 DOTD Sue.
Paul

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Gorgeous Daze
Firstly, despite its misfiring lyric about 'flying through space' and the accompanying sound effect, I find 'On Horseback' a charming song. And if it never featured on Jack Hargreaves's 'About Britain' it should have done. Secondly, I must remember to stop confusing mein host with unnecessary cultural references.

Like the music this routine recalls a simpler, time-honoured, pre-consumerist Christmas. There are just a few evergreens to the set, which reminds us that nature is in repose. The girls entering the dance one-by-one must be based on a traditional folk-dance, and it's a good feature. It's jolly, and there's just the right amount of hey-nonny-nonny about it, so it avoids silliness. The girls could probably have got away with a bit of that anyway! Strangely, I'm not bothered by the at-times gravity-defying dresses. Which are the perfect design for this. My one criticism is that I think it would be better set during daytime, the music just seems to me to suit that kind of celebratory fayre. Outside, as it is in setting, but more in touch with the season.

DOTD Sue,  thanks to her solo I quickly knew this was one I would like.

9/10  Yes, those maidens put on a fine display.  (Taps out pipe).

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Lookmacinanger
Enough jigs and hornpipes on display here to rival any feis gathering on New Year’s Day 1976, I’m sure Mr Oldfield would have approved. 8/10. Dotd Sue

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Old Grey Whistler
By about halfway through, this tune really starts to get on my nerves!
The dancing is good and a high level of fitness would have been required to complete. Sue in particularly must have been exhausted at the end, having gone through the routine from start to finish.
Although it is good, I find this a little repetitive, probably due to the nature of the tune, and over long.
I will score this 8 out of 10 with Sue as DOTD.

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Old Bill
Ahhhh I'm so glad to be reviewing this while I've still got turkey butties for dinner!

This has always been one of my favourite festive ditties, especially Mr Oldfield's rendition. That guitar solo sends shivers down my spine.
Incidentally - Mike Oldfield is actually named after my home town. A French girl I was talking to once couldn't pronounce 'Macclesfield' so just said Mike Oldfield instead. How we chuckled.

Anyways, the dance. GD sums it perfectly : "Like the music this routine recalls a simpler, time-honoured, pre-consumerist Christmas." Ahhhh them were the days indeed. From Sue's start right through to the end this is a dainty delight. I love the whole folky feel of it. And Ruthie's entrance is timed to perfection.
And with such a pacey fluid dance there's bound to be a odd stray step, Lee or Mary - I'm quite sure which one, for example at around 2mins. But this is totally excusable and doesn't detract at all.

I can't think of anything more festive, and not a hint of a sleighbell or an inch on tinsel. The big blue star at 1'18" is a nice touch, intentional or not. And some fine jib-camera work too.

And this is one of those dances where I wonder how all the spins, hops, flicks and jumps are possible in those heels. How?? How do they do that?!

All in all just splendid! 10/10 and Sue for DotD. And much sweet rejoicing for Pan's People at Christmas.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

VintageVideos
Wow! And there I was wondering if this was the right choice for our 'month of favourites'. But to see Old Bill awarding his first '10' on the Pan's People comments section is just the affirmation that I needed, so thanks for your rapturous review!

Re: IN DULCI JUBILO -- 1976

Mikey
Another cracker (sorry ) from the festive period of 1975 although it was held back until the new year show. IDJ differs from a lot of the xmas standards that get hauled out of hibernation every November, and flogged to death until the presents are unwrapped, being an instrumental and without many of the cliched sounds (bells etc) you often find in these records. I quite like it, but only at xmas.....

Flick starts the routine with Sue, and adds a new dancer each time new elements are added to the track as the intro builds, until the final dancer Ruth arrives and the drums start. The style is very much folk orientated, and i imagine these type of rountines in the main (shows like Riverdance etc) take many months of preparation and rehearsal to perfect, so for PP to do this in just a few days is a great achievement. Its not perfect, and the more i watch the more mistakes i notice, but i like the overall feel of the presentation, the airey outfits, the nice finish and overall that it feels authentic.

Its different, exhuberent and fun to watch 8.5/10
DOTD can only be Sue