IN THE GHETTO

PattiforPM
      I chose a sad song after a joyous week for OFTDs, sorry.  In the Ghetto is a song written by Mac Davis and was originally titled The Vicious Circle.  It was a major comeback hit for Elvis Presley in 1969 and has also been covered at one time or another by Sammy Davis Jnr, Candi Staton, Dolly Parton, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and Chris De Burgh.  It has quite gritty lyrics about the cycle of poverty, crime and violence in the Chicago Ghetto and was a bit of a brave departure for the King.  Mac Davis had previously written a number of hits however and continued to be a prolific country crossover Artist for some years.  He also wrote a Little Less Conversation for Elvis.
   A Ghetto, as you will be aware, is usually a part of a City set aside for a marginalized Minority group and I myself saw the first ever Ghetto in Venice in my travels long ago.  It didn’t look awfully inviting and was created in the 1500s for the Jews by the kind Venetians.  The word is probably derived from the Venetian word for slag or waste.  Perhaps our Maker should have started with cockroaches in Eden instead.

                     IN THE GHETTO  -  Lena Martell                     July 25th 1979

                              DANCERS:      David, Nick, OKON, Lulu, Patti Rosie

                            LINK:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uLvoOXQyWg

   This one is a bit tricky for me and I imagine even more difficult for BeautifulBabs.  It starts with a reverse colonoscopic view which is fortunately brief otherwise I would have become quite queasy.  It is a song I really like, perhaps my favourite Elvis tune, but obviously the Lena version is vastly inferior.  I do like some of the Okon poses in some ways and the tantalizing glimpses of that lady in the blue overcoat but it is basically a male solo and one does not see anything like enough of his lovely female dance-fellows in this performance.  Also his distressed jeans and fashionable jacket are not right for his disadvantaged role in the opinion of this humble reviewer and would have been quite out of place in most ghettos.  I find this watchable but not highly enjoyable and will give it 4.5/10.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Not a song I'm particularly fond of and I'm afraid LM's rendition didn't do it any favours either.  My earlier enthusiasm for the Glasgow jaunt has most definitely cooled!
As we get to see almost nothing of the other dancers, and with the Tommie Smith/John Carlos moment at the end being about the only thing of note, it is difficult to give a score but 3 seems about right.  Just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

You're obviously a greater person than me, because I found that watching the dance routine, set to Lena's godforsaken Elvis Presley cover, was rather heavy going, there's really not much to see here, apart from Lena, standing almost like a clothes shop's mannequin. The dancers were shrouded in darkness for the most parts, what a waste of talents, they may as well have not been there on the stage at all, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Anything that contains our dancers is always worth a look. But as we hardly see them then i cant see myself ever giving this another look. Great to have the clip for posterity though, if nothing else. I will be generous and join the two guys above this post and give it a '3 out of 10'.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Colm
I'm not keen on Lena's version of "In the Ghetto", although I can appreciate the storytelling behind most of the choreography.

btw, is Okon wearing Gavin's jacket from "The Flasher"?

Score: I'll be slightly more generous and credit this with a 4.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

PattiforPM
Thanks lads.  I know this isn't easy and PBP I'm no greater but when you're host you tend to emphasize the good a little more perhaps.  I do think it's a great shame we don't see more of the ladies in this one but I suppose Flick tries to stay true to the theme of the song which is about a disadvantaged boy growing up unable to escape his destiny.  Other than his crying Mother there aren't many meaty female roles in this one.  I hope there are more comments out there somewhere

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Old Bill
Zzzzzzzz......

Oh! Has it finished? Sorry. Dozed off there. In fact, did it ever start??

Oh dear. Well, it was never going to be a corker this was it? Possibly one of the most undanceable songs that Flick has ever been presented with? But even so, I don't think she broke too much of a sweat over it.
I would to have seen Lulu, Patti and Rosie's puzzled faces when they were first presented with the steps they had to memorise. But nah... I'm they were professional to the end and took the under-challenge in their stride.

1/10, for Lulu turning up. And if we're having a DotD I guess it has to be Okon. But mate - that's not a proud boast today!

I don't mind Lena's voice though. Just saying!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Mikey
Erm, yep ,so here we are again with RF2, and its not too good. For a start the sets too dark, and Lena's vocals seem too chirpy and clean for the song. Most disappointing of all if you hire some dancers, please allow them to actually do something that suits their talents. The guys performance is fine, but its a bit too much of a student drama performance for me. I think i'll go and watch the other Lene!

3.5/10

Re: IN THE GHETTO

VintageVideos
The glaring question that needs to be answered is: Is this worse than 'Love Me Like A Lover'? Watch this space...

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Mikey
Well that song is quite terrible, so it would be hard to 'beat'

Re: IN THE GHETTO

PattiforPM
I believe for quite some time Vin has been trying to squeeze someone in underneath Ms Charles (so to speak) and now he may just have a chance

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Preface:
In contrast to what some people may think, I am of course completely objective here and not trying to lower the rating for this dance to defend the honour of another lady.

Chapter One:
The whole thing starts really promising. Two nice looking girls, a lively tune, now this is good! Oh wait, that isn't Lena yet, it's the Dooleys! Too bad...

Chapter Two:
We see a few guys and girls. Some of them I could be familiar with but I'm not sure. It's too dark. Why are they wearing long coats? Lena is singing "In The Ghetto"... although it sounds more like "in The Gheeeedow". I've heard this one before, it's a classic number by Elvis but it hasn't aged very well. At least Elvis could sing it, as he had some street credibility. Lena seems to stick at nothing. Yikes! I thought torture was forbidden.

Chapter Three:
There's a young man dancing. Or it's more like acting. Ah I see he plays the 'young man' from the song. He's trying hard. Meanwhile Lena puts on her 'concernment'-face. Don't overdo it, Lena, a stagehand may feel the urge to hand you a hanky. Where's the taste police when you need it?

Epilogue:
Ok this performance had something. I don't know exactly what it was, but it did impress me. A bit. A little bit actually. Not enough to watch it again, mind you.
Worse than LMLAL? No - but dead even. And this time it wasn't Floid's fault.

2 / 10

Re: IN THE GHETTO

PattiforPM
LOL, you're the most objective guy on the Forum Vin and I thank you once again for your consideration and your book of short but insightful stories.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

bucksby
I do like Elvis' version of In the ghetto but Lena's version leaves me cold. Not much the dancers can do with the song either, I hope they were wearing ear plugs when Lena was "singing" 3 out of 10.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

PattiforPM
Thanks Bucksby.  Come on chaps, one more critique and it's on the Board.  Still no 10s either, in case you were wondering.  Where's OkonFan?

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Gorgeous Daze
Groan. This is becoming like a periodic visit to a maiden aunt you're obliged to go on as a kid and sit in near silence for what seems like three hours. Rewarded finally with a Bar Six and a bit of spare change. 'Don't spend it all at once'. And as we know, there's more in store from this chart-topper. One can only hope the Yewtree axe falls liberally upon her. As is my want, I haven't checked.

Auntie Lena neither sings this well nor convinces. It's like The Detroit Spinners singing about a Saturday afternoon at the Manse Garden Fete. The routine is a talkie performance-piece rather than a dance. Indifference to the black underclass is represented by the other dancers standing impassively in smart winter clothes and retreating from Okon. It makes a point, but compared to what we're used to it's sub-zero on the watchability scale. This is exacerbated by setting it in the dark to emphasize the despair and Okon's character's drift into crime. Had it followed the narrative of the song as it does with the role-play it would have been half in light. As it is the other dancers are virtually unrecognizable and it might as well have been anyone doing the money-for-old-rope job. Okon plays the part well enough, and it was bold to finish with a prolonged black-power salute. But this is still way off the mark.

2.5/10 Stick it with the turkey leftovers.

Re: IN THE GHETTO

PattiforPM
Your Maiden Aunt thanks you for coming GD

Re: IN THE GHETTO

Andeebee
Dancers are absolutely mouthwateringly edible, can't say much bout the turkey track or the big bird hosting it.....burnt leftovers scraped to the bin.

4/10 (that's just for the dancers)

Re: IN THE GHETTO

PaulF
Not a great Lena fan and with the poor dancer coverage found it hard to stay awake 3/10
Paul

Re: IN THE GHETTO

PattiforPM
I appreciate the Comments lads and I know Lena doesn't always thrill us but it's part of the Ruby Flipper family of performances and I think it does deserve an airing so thanks again.  It certainly would have improved matters if the other dancers were a little more visible in this one