IS THIS LOVE -- [March]

IS THIS LOVE  Dance number 91 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Bob Marley & The Wailers  and reaching number 9 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 16/03/78  Duration of dance --  2.21 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 87           Sue 84
Lulu 84               Gill 83
Rosie 84             Patti 83
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23wqky_legs-co-is-this-love-totp-tx-16-03-1978_creation

  The second of Legs & Co`s outings to the music of Bob and his Wailers. This song and the routine that goes with it is in my view far superior to the first effort. If you cast your minds back to the doleful `Waiting In Vain` from last year you maybe recall Flick had the girls looking rather uncomfortable trying to perform reggae to the song, swishing their smart looking dresses about the place that went very well with their smart looking jackets. Flick certainly got the idea in `Uptown Top Ranking` of how to present our girls dancing to reggae a few weeks ago and that seemed far better.
   In this dance i dont think the girls are dancing in a reggae style at all. The choreography seems to be quite varied and not at all symmetrical and the use of the steps adds an extra touch. Theres plenty of things going on. Highlights for me are, the end of Lulu`s solo spot were she throws her arms up in a circular motion on the high note.
   Another highlight is the two purple glad girls doing their roundabout dance were they keep holding hands and doing those funny hops and culminating in creating an arch for their friends to all hold hands as they pass under. I think the outfits are pretty and rather cute. This is a routine thats not spectacular nor is it a dud. I cant go to 9, but will give it 8.5 out of 10.. Dancer of the day, well Lulu just catches the eye, so shes the girl.

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Andeebee
Alot better routine than waiting in vain, nice smiley faces, some strange steps, big skirts.  Lovely girls.

7/10

DOTD

Defo Lulu, first thing I noticed was this little vixen

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
I had feeling I would enjoy this after seeing the improved version from the rerun. I agree it doesn’t have a reggae flavour to it and that makes the routine more enjoyable for me. See the girls had a buddy in a matching outfit and how they then work as a little team. There were some different camera angles used I suppose to incorporate the stairs as they will be used again later in ’78 with a much more high tempo routine. Dotd had be Lulu especially as the other ladies had a quick break while she was doing her solo bit. 8/10

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

I do like the pastel-coloured dresses on the ladies for this one, and the fact that the set's predomiantly black makes them stand out even more. Here, Legs & Co. remind me of star turn showgirls, what with the shakeable ruffled dress sections: they'd look great looking like this dancing to Copacabana!
The best moment in my opinion is when Lulu takes centre stage whilst the other five briefly sit together on the steps, swaying their heads and looking in her direction.
Taken in isolation, I'd give the routine 7/10 but I just feel it's a little too distant from the song it's representing in terms of style, so I'm giving this a 6/10.
DOTD : Lulu and her curly mop.

PS. It's a little-known fact that Pauline was absent this week and her place was in fact taken by one of the members of Althea & Donna....

Hefty hair!

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Another fine interperetation of one of the discs of the day, plenty of individual routines going on within the main one, I especially liked the limbo-esque dancing, although they weren't exactly bend over backwards to really try it, presumably an attempt to remain true to the Carribbean theme of the Bob Marley track, & nice dresses, if bulky looking. One last thing really of note, Lulu with her solo piece in front of the other girls acting as spectators.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Pauline's Dimples wrote
PS. It's a little-known fact that Pauline was absent this week and her place was in fact taken by one of the members of Althea & Donna....
I can't decide if it's you or the claimed subsitute who's forgotten their glasses PD.

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

A routine full of fun by Flick and the Legs girls.  There's plenty of smiles and carefree movements to match the positive vibe of "Is This Love". Also good to see Gill, Pauline and Lulu featuring prominently.

My score: 9

Dancer of the Day: Lulu, what a cute solo spot after weeks of falling under the radar - is she making a resurgance in each year we're rating or what?

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
I only came back to redeem myself after the TOTP orchestra ruined my last visit after having a long liquid lunch and then getting all the notes to my song in the wrong order

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

I'm warming to this one and actually quite liking the different hairstyle Patti is showing off here.  The ladies all look very fetching and the moves are smooth and I like the sitting as a group piece as well as the various parades down the steps.  The shoes are not my faves, as I like the non-showy delicate footwear on these fine ladies.  Reggae has its drawbacks too but I think it is handled well here so I am giving 8/10.  I have real trouble choosing a DotD here so I am staying quiet on this one.  BTW I also like PP's outtro from the edge of the set, saying that this is the closest he has got to Legs & Co, another sign of good taste from our Troupe AFAIC

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Whoa whoa whoa, now you know sitting on the fence on DOTD is not allowed Mr PattiforPM. Please take your time and come to a decision.

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

PattiForPM
OK Ryan I suppose I can just about choose.  I have watched again and I do really like the Red Team best (the Purple team does a good little double swing but the Pink Team is quietly beautiful here I think). Thus I'm similar to the rest of you but, although Lulu does indeed do a fine job, I love Patti in this, especially that "both hands in the air" pose on your screengrab and the smiles she throws our way in that new hairstyle so it's Patti for me.

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Yeah Patti seems to be turning up with a new hairstyle every week at the moment, though each one does suit her. This routine though is just another example of what i was eluding to earlier in the week were a dancer from Legs & Co comes to the fore and rules a routine, in this case Lulu, much more than dancers did from Pans in their heyday.

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Suefan
No love for this one I'm afraid, it just doesn't grab me and I'm not going above 6.
Suefan
Stu

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

Stu
This post was updated on .
I'm in agreement with Suefan on this one, I'm afraid it doesn't do an awful lot for me, the song's ok and so's the dance but they don't really go together, so maybe another try at a reggae style routine would've suited more.

6.5/10

DOTD   Lulu

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one is a tad lacklustre. In part I'm sure because the routine isn't entirely suited to the song. And there's this feel of the girls just going through the motions to some extent. The frontally revealing ruffles are nice, but the movements and poses are all still lacking the expected impact somehow. My favourite bit is the purple pair-off, and I give my DOTD to Pauline. 6/10 for the routine.

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

VintageVideos
Ok so I think I mentioned before I'm not too keen on anything Marley and this is no exception. Sure, this is better than the tedious 'Waiting in vain' but still most Marley songs sound the same to me. The girls look nice but the showgirl dresses just don't match the record. With a different track I might have rated this routine higher, but the song is too boring for repeated watching so I can give no more than 7/10.
DotD : Lulu

Oh and 'Miss Frizzy', there's even a song about her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKZ28onqwk
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

SuPaLu
This one just doesn't do it for me,it's not interesting or exciting in any way.5/10.
Lulu does a decent job in her little solo,and is my DotD.
Looks like Rosie and Gill re-used the dresses for Que Tal America in 1979.

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

VintageVideos wrote
Oh and 'Miss Frizzy', there's even a song about her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKZ28onqwk
That's Canadian Rock Royalty your linking to Vin, hope you're on bended knee

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

VintageVideos
I like the Guess Who, got a few of their albums on CD, even a few by Burton Cummings. Unfortunately 'Woman Love' is only available at collector's prices here.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: IS THIS LOVE -- 1978

PattiForPM
Yup the Guess Who produced some great music and American Woman is almost the National Anthem here oddly given it's title!  Randy Bachman hosts a really good informative radio show weekly here called Vinyl Tap and tells interesting tales of rubbing shoulders with many of the other legendary 1960s characters. (Sorry about getting off topic again Ryan)