IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

   It Only Takes a Minute was written by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter and was a big hit for the Tavares in the U.S. in 1975.  Jonathan King covered it as “One Hundred Ton and a Feather “ in the UK in 1976, presumably a reference to the age old comparison between a ton of bricks and a ton of feathers (although who can really know why Jonathan King did some of the things he did).  Personally I would say the Tavares version is far better but I believe it was not released in the UK until some time later for some reason.  Incidentally, despite some quibbling  about whether the gravitational difference due to the height of the heaps or the air resistance of huge pile of feathers matter,  there is pretty good agreement that a ton is a ton is a ton.  Anyway this version gave Jonathan another Top Ten hit regardless of my opinion.  For the uninitiated, Mr King must be given credit for discovering and naming Genesis  (scouted for Decca records from his old Private School Charterhouse), naming and signing 10cc (for his own UK Records),  seeing the potential of the Rocky Horror Show  (gaining 20% of the profits from it),  playing a significant part in developing the Brit Awards and seeing the possible hitability of Tubthumping and Who Let the Dogs Out  amongst other songs so the guy clearly has some smarts whatever we think of him since his 2001 conviction for Indecent Assaults and Buggery.  Anyway enough of this Mr King stuff which I imagine you all know anyway, let’s get onto the performance itself…..

     IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE   -   One Hundred Ton and a Feather                             July 15th 1976

                                           DANCER:     Lulu

 LINK:   http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ahiq_ruby-flipper-it-only-takes-a-minute-totp-tx-01-07-1976-wiped-15-07-1976_creation

   This was probably the second Ruby Flipper performance to this song and it seems possible the first was quite different when it occurred on the criminally wiped July 1st Show but we have no definite knowledge of this .  Here Lulu does a little jig in her Back in the USSR costume backing Jonathan King and although she is only visible for about half the time (about 75secs all told) I think the young lady still manages to appeal to our happier sides.  The song is rather awful IMHO and the singer straining his upper register to the limit and it’s difficult with our well-calibrated retrospectoscopes not to be heavily biased against Mr King.  I find Lulu manages to rise above this mire however and I can still find it in my soul to award 5.5/10 for her efforts.  It is certainly not ever going to be on my frequent viewing list but this is by no means Lulu’s fault.  It also bears some comparison with Floid’s efforts in Tina Charles’ company and perhaps I’ll wait and see what you all have to say before I start shooting my mouth off again!

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

BeautifulBabs
Great intro thanks p4pm Sir Humphrey's given me the day off so I'll be 1st with the rotten fruit-

Likes
Lulu,
Lulu's hair
Lulu making a good effort under less than ideal circumstances - a heroic failure
the keyboard's occasional appearance with a headless keyboard player
mr king singing about a 'change in career' gives us hope he might call time on his singing

Dislikes
violin
song- I actually prefer the take that version
if you can't sing high - don't sing a song with high notes or get a lesson from tina charles first
did flick just say go out and do a few twirls and highland fling to  liven up this disaster and pretend you are helping a busking fiddler ?
king's hair glasses and clothes and stage presence - is he supposed to be cool ?
name of 'band' if you can call it that

4.5 sorry there are better but its from the flipper locker all the same

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

This would've been an amazing Lulu solo dance routine, if it wasn't for superimposition of Jonathan King, & the viola, over Lulu, meaning that we miss out on, seeing Lulu dancing on a stage tha she has all t herself, in other words, a proper solo from her, which was as rare as rattlesnake eggs.
Lulu, performed this piece the same week as that she participated in Back In The USSR, & so she also wears her Russian costume here, except that for It Only Takes A Minute, she's discarded her hat, she looks so amazing when she does her twirling, as if to show off how cute she looks in that outfit.

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

This is another occasion when the producers utilized a member of Ruby Flipper to enhance the artists performance. It does make you wonder if this happened on any of the four wiped shows, i mean if we are not certain of the full routines on those shows, might there also be the odd one or two of these were a dancer is called into service.

Another immensely difficult thing to mark. Id give the song and Mr King one out of ten. I will give the uber cute Lulu element of it ten out of ten. So i reckon `5 out of 10` is about right.

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Lulu does some nice moves to this awful song and if it had been just a straight dance solo I'd have probably been awarding something like a seven or an eight.  However, it isn't so I'm not.  A big fat minus five to the bloke who can't sing so overall this gets a 3.

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

PattiForPM
Thanks for your comments friends.  As expected the appeal of Lulu is alive and well but it's an uphill battle with this song and singer.  Thanks also for reminding me of the Take That version BB, I forgot to mention it although I still prefer the Tavares version myself.  I do think this works a bit better than LMLAL but Lulu totally outcutes Floid and Tina beats Jonathan in my estimation so it's a tough call.  Let's see what the rest of you have to say....

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Andeebee
it Only takes a minute to fall in love with lulu, but a minute to forget this travesty of the pop charts (a notch higher than the Demis Roussos casts off wearing Tina routine)

Not lot to say, that King fella gets in the way too much, the song is awful compared to the wonderful Tavares version.

Lulu looks the bees knees in this, not enough of her to be honest but enough I wanna gobble her all up as she looks like a pretty Russian doll......

Scores on Tavares door: 6/10

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

the avatar P4PM - Cavatina I believe

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Colm
I don't know if it's serendipity, but having Lulu in her "Back in the USSR" costume appearing during the country-ish violin parts is a good match. For some reason, it's almost like a portent to line dancing...

There isn't really a lot going on dance-wise here, but Lulu's spins and skirt-swishing are cute.

Score: 6

I also prefer the Take That of IOTaM version myself

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Mikey
I can only assume it was some kind of joke to release this record?, Jonathan King was a wacky bloke so i wouldn't put it past him and his promoters. Anyway i can see a pattern emerging for our poor Flippers, i.e. rubbish song needs livening up, lets get one or a few of them to do a backing dance, Pans People didn't have to do this, they had proper cool bands like T-Rex. This time its Lulu in her Russian outfit and she does a pretty good job to be fair, but i did have to watch it on mute to get to the end .

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

PaulF
Pity this was not a full singalongaLulu solo, would have been far more entertaining. Lulu does a good job which deserves full marks but as she only appears for about half the song then I think a 5/10 is a fair.
Paul

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

VintageVideos
Ah yes, Jonathan King, one of the controversial figures of pop music. A genius yet sickening. Giving this Tavares song his famous violin treatment, like he did five years before with the classic "It's The Same Old Song" (under the disguise of the Weathermen), he makes this song his own and proves once more that he can turn a flop into a hit. Even though it is more than obvious in this performance that he absolutely cannot hit the right note. How could this apparent insult to the human ears become a Top 10 hit?
Well, obviously because a lot of people liked JK's music - and I did as well. Back in the 90's I bought one of his CDs (which I still have) because I thought his treatments of other people's songs were original and sometimes even funny. And I have to confess, I still like to listen to the odd King song. We've learned some unpleasant facts about the man in the current millenium, but somehow I am not willing to adjust my memory of the time when his records were released.
Yes, this 'live' vocal rendition isn't very thrilling but I think the song is actually quite good, even in his heavy vs. light version. As an added bonus, we have young Lulu enhancing this performance in the shape of a music box dancer, and I must say, she is just lovely. Ok her moves might not be sensational but they go along very well with the music, especially the violin parts.
All in all I find this very watchable, and as I won't be awarding any penalty points for Mr. King, this performance gets a solid rating:

8 / 10

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

PattiForPM
Thanks again pop pickers.  Interesting that you have King material in the collection Vin.  I fell for Loop Di Love but very little else.  I agree with others, shocked that this poor song performance managed the Top Ten.  I really like the music box analogy for Lulu's contribution here BTW.  I hope there are other opinions to come but I'll add the performance to the ranking list now

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Old Bill
A sublime dreamy wonderful beautiful dance and number one Flipper Miss Cartwright.

But quite possibly Tidybeard's worst ever record of the week. Awful. Absolutely 'King awful.
Did it occur to him to get someone who could sing to do the singing?

So what am I marking? The dancing alone? Or the whole package of Lulu & Simon.

Lulu would get a 10. King would get a 1. So like Ryan it has to be 5/10.

Nah... 6/10 - Lulu makes everything a little better.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Old Grey Whistler
This is a pretty good song when in the hands of a good singer as has been proved by other versions, but sadly I am not a fan of Jonathan King at all.  I won't penalise Lulu for this however as I think she does a good job and I really like the Russian doll outfit. The actual dancing is fairly basic and yet seems to fit the style of the song.
With a little less King and a little more Lulu, I would have scored it higher than the 6.5 out of 10 which I am giving.

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

bucksby
It is a good song but King doesn't do it justice. I much prefer Take that's version from 1992. The routine starts really well but goes down hill 45 seconds in! Lulu is great and it would have been better as a full solo routine. overall a 6.

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

JEZ
The actuall single done by 100 ton and a feather rather than this re recording for totp isnt bad at all ,my sister had this record and it sounded much better on the turntable rather than in the studio ,i suppose if the full dance of ruby flipper ever turned up people might rate it a little more rather than just this backing dance ,lulu does well with her twirls etc ,ill gve a 6 ,the follow up song to it only takes a minute ,is a much better catchy song ,and can be found here on oftds ,him and us plus 2 perform to 100 ton and a feathers ,Dont forget me when im on your island

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

PattiForPM
Once again thanks fellow dance fans.  I'm sure the song benefited from the studio treatment on record but I think it's only fair to mark what we see and hear on the night just as we do with the dance.  Thanks Jez for the info on the other HTaaF record and I'll have another listen (and watch) soon.  As for this song though I have to agree with OB's 'King awful assessment

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Lookmacinanger
Bizarre (USA)! I think that’s an apt description of what’s on view here. A continual assault of the ear holes is how the vocals on this track leave me feeling and I’ve never heard a better case for an instrumental version of a recording. That little dancing doll who just escaped from USSR at least makes the experience less upsetting. 5/10.

Re: IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

Jonathan King was never well-liked, and with his unsavoury side exposed it's not exactly wrenching that he's now consigned to history. All except his mouth, that is, which has been borrowed by Lembit Opik. Even then King's brand was such that he had to change his name every time he released a record. Yes, he was a canny operator, and with a keen ear for what would make a hit. On this one I find the odd juxtaposition of the folkie fiddle and growly synth appealing. He can't sing for toffee, but for me this is still in a different league to Take That's bland and cynical corporate launch-pad.

Visually it's a strange four-way battle for lasting impression between singer, dancer, and the two instruments. A little Lulu is disadvantaged, but she does the best she can with her sweet bit of twirling and skirt-jigging; and her folkish clothing suits the traditional instrument she is vision-mixed in with.  5.5/10