ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Doc
Mary for dotd.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Oh yes, a PG rated version of psychedelia complete with giant mushrooms and pink smoke. This is not exactly a dance routine except for a few swirls from Mary. Cherry gets fully into the spirit with hysterical laugther and mad eyes yet i find Lee the most captivating here (and i wont be saying that too often), as she sits aloft the mushroom arms flailing and getting into the groove.

This is a great record, but pretty meaningless in 1976, and may just be a big lol at the 60's innocence for the producers. Nonetheless very watchable even if the black sheep of the '76 routines and Sue's absence is unfortunate.

A 7/10 DOTD Lee

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Old Bill
I have a friend who used to sell magic mushrooms a few years back when they were still quite legal, but sadly they were never the fairy tale classic fly agarics, they were all horrible little brown things. Although having played this old BBC Micro classic from back in the day enough times, more than made up for that. And the computer is of course my only direct experience of such fungi :-)

But over to the matter in hand - the dance. And what a cracking write-up BB!
When presented with a song that nobody knows what it's about and sounds suitably hippy-drippy spacey lalala peace and love peace and love, the only explanation has to be hallucinogens, rainbows, woodland dancing pixies, pink mist and probably some unicorns some where too. And why not? I think this is a fantastic dreamy visual delight.
The main prop of set, and indeed much of the scenery is the afore-mentioned mushroom, and not too subtle a suggestion it is. Something which you'd never get today, sadly. Imagine the Daily Mail outrage... all future TOTP showings featuring a mushroom would have to scrapped.

I love the song. I love the outfits. I love the dance, "over-literalness" never bothered me. I love the whole look and feel of this. I generally love Tidybeard but his jokes are often just a bad trip, man.

9/10, and Cherry for DotD. As has already been said she's the one most getting into the role, and her puff of exasperation clambering on to the mushroom is lovely!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

BeautifulBabs
Glad this is still getting votes -sue was absent for this as having wisdom tooth out

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
Working my way through them BB... nearly finished I think! :-)

Actually, can I drop this down to a 8.5/10? For reasons I can't quite explain but make sense to me!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

VintageVideos
OK Old Bill, I will enter 8.5 then

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Don't worry OB, we didn't think you were supporting drug usage with your previous high mark

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Old Bill
haha! I daren't watch it again now though, because it might go back up to a 9!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Old Grey Whistler
A good song but it belongs in the 1960's and looks a little out of place in 1976.
The set design and special effects work well and it is an enjoyable performance to watch but although I like surreal routines, this one just falls a little short for me, so I will score it 7 out of 10 and nominate Cherry as DOTD.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

PansLegs
One thing I think is difficult to do is to represent an old track in a contemporary music programme, although I must say that Legs & Co did a fabulous job with 'Green Onions', going for the full retro style. Had this single from The Small Faces been danced to by Pan's People on its original release, you could imagine something similar - a relatively straightforward line-up of dancers on a stage in mod gear grooving and swaying to the beat. But nine years on from 1967 and the portrayal is very different and I don't mind admitting for a long time I regarded this performance as quite a low. The silly grins, the hand waving, the annoying mist effect, it didn't sit well with me, possibly because I was imaging how the fledgling Pans would have danced to this originally. I wondered what on earth Flick was thinking... and then... I got it.

Yes, I knew that the song was about getting stoned and blowing your mind but somehow I didn't connect this with the visual served up. Even now, there's still a lot I'm not that keen on but it does at least make some kind of sense, or should that be nonsense? You can't help wonder how Sue would have been in this one, but otherwise the person still left with a good amount of dignity after playing the high as kite scenario is Lee. Therefore, she is my DotD. 6/10

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Who's That Hurll
I know this routine divides opinions amongst people, but this is one of my favourite Pans routines. I love the set, that provides a (toad) stool for the girls to sit on and weave their magic. The dry ice is up to full power and it's great watching the girls disappearing and reappearing from the mist. The Small Faces track takes on a new dimension for me, as it matches the action so perfectly. Noel's intro and outro add to the scene and this is one routine I never tire of watching. I can imagine the girls had great fun creating this one and they did such a good job that I have no hesitation in awarding this 10/10. DOTD Mary.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Doubleday
A classic piece of music, and unusual dance to go with it ... slightly psychedelic set, moves and expressions to go with the theme of the song, and unusual line up as we see Lee and Mary with Cherry and Ruth - and no Sue. Cherry's talent for mime as well as elegant dancing is well used here, and she's my favourite dancer. Overall I'd say 8.5 out of 10.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

SuPaLu
Wonderfully dream-like and psychedelic.8/10
DotD:Mary

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Doc
Pan's in the land of the magic mushrooms, I'm surprised that got past the BBC censor as they were never keen on drug references. Although Lucy and the Sky with Diamonds got past them as well so they were not that sharp! I think they chose to ban another more innocent track off Sergeant Pepper instead. Silly and I like it! 9/10.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Who's That Hurll wrote
I know this routine divides opinions amongst people, but this is one of my favourite Pans routines. I love the set, that provides a (toad) stool for the girls to sit on and weave their magic. The dry ice is up to full power and it's great watching the girls disappearing and reappearing from the mist. The Small Faces track takes on a new dimension for me, as it matches the action so perfectly. Noel's intro and outro add to the scene and this is one routine I never tire of watching. I can imagine the girls had great fun creating this one and they did such a good job that I have no hesitation in awarding this 10/10. DOTD Mary.
I agree with everything that's been said here. I can't really add much more.

9/10 for me. Itchycoo Park is a record I never get tired of hearing, and to have a Pans People routine to go with it is a treasure.

DOTD is Cherry. The quick glimpse to the camera after the line "Under dreaming spires" confirms the DotD award.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

VintageVideos
Welcome to the Pan's People Comments Section, Rubberband Man! I'm sure there are many more Pan's People routines that you enjoy, so I'm looking forward to any further comments.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

mojo2007
I find I did not comment , not a classic for me so only 8. however I do agree that Mary is a peach in this number

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

Dancer
Remember this routine when it was originally aired on a cold night in 1976.  I went and bought the record and it was quite some time before I realised what the song was about.  A very good routine and remember this routine cropping up in a quiz programme where the music was muted and the panel had to guess the dance routine.  They all got it right.  I absolutely love it and still did the finger movements in nightclubs when M People released it.  Loved the outfits although Cherry's hair was a little in the way here but she still looked beautiful.  I will award this dance nine out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Cherry.

Re: ITCHYCOO PARK January 1976

VintageVideos
Thanks Dancer. I have no idea why of all things this one is so popular but it is now the first Pan's People routine to receive 25 ratings.