ITS MY TURN [January]

ITS MY TURN  Dance/performance number 244 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Diana Ross  reaching number 16 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  29/01/81  Duration of dance/performance 3.04 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue.

Pauline  224
Sue      223
Rosie    222
Patti     217
Gill        216
Lulu      213

This particular Diana Ross song may not be all that memorable, but i do quite like it and indeed the great lady's work in general. Her music served our dancers well over the years. But what does a choreographer do when the song in question isn't exactly all that conducive to creating a flowing dance routine ? The answer is hope for inspiration with the song title. `Its My Turn` quite literately enables Flick to award each of our dancers a turn up front (though G,L & PT get two turns !) and the dancing is basically replaced by gentle swaying as each of the girls walks the walk and take there turn.

Strangely i cant really say im a fan of any of the six costumes the girls are adorned in, i wonder if they had a hand in choosing them themselves. A couple of things i do like in this is that lovely smile Rosie gives the camera has she is about to take her turn. The other is the marvelous Lilac coloured syrup that Patti is sporting. She looks wonderful and im keen to know what the Patti Platoon members think of it.

Rating--The routine in general does give us some superb close-ups and that is always high on my list of wants in a routine and i like the song even if its difficult to produce a noteworthy dance routine to. But `7 out of 10` is about my limit for this.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

PattiforPM
This is an interesting one.  The music is a bit like a "stage musical" for me and the setting seems to beg that comparison too.  The dancing is limited in extent here so the main feature is definitely the appearance of the piece.  The dresses are mostly pinks and purples and much as in Working My Way Back to You, it seems to me Sue and Pauline might have been late back from coffee and hence to the costume closet last.  I am unabashedly tainted by bias but I find Patti's dress quite memorable and that her strange coloured wig works quite beautifully in this.  Rosie is also very well suited to her costume and I love the little irregular hat.  Lulu looks good but suffers somewhat from lack of focus and Gill looks a little too severe for my liking here.  DotD Patti is what I'm saying and I quite like to watch this stylish event so it's 8/10 for me even though I can see it may not appeal to everyone.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Gorgeous Daze
It's Showtime with MISS DIANA ROSS. Wardrobe roughly in the age of art deco, but Patti's brought a souvenir back from the future. Wigs are more miss than hit but this one demonstrates her timeless beauty. She's so stunning it's got the Platoon changing a regimental badge. On other fronts Gill brings classic Hollywood glamour and Sue's lumbered with the party pack. You win some. Costumes are quite often a mixed bag but as usual it makes an average routine more interesting.

Clever how Lulu's has her luvvers resigned to her absence, only to be breathtakingly revealed like a bride late to the altar. It's a must for the highlights package. Each make the walk of stars to do their literal bit while the rest sync back in the pool replenished by rain. Doubly so, turns within turns. There's nice variation in how the girls approach it. Lulu and Rosie cast subtle clues that they don't take this torch number entirely seriously. Pauline's diva moment gauges the strong resolution that's otherwise largely absent. (She might have completed the melodrama and slung her pearls to the floor. Those mobile sleeves would have wrung the patience of many a less sweet-natured lady!) But it's Patti carrying the years of hurt who most connects once again. With a farewell pitched at just the right tenor. And she's wearing the sexiest dress. The main theme however is giving us a twirl and looking pretty. Anthea Redfearn didn't do much less. Good shots, so-so choreography.

DOTD Patti .  7.5/10

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

In the normal run of things I quite like this, even if there isn't a great deal too it and some of the costumes the ladies have been saddled with are odd - the Patti wig, the Rosie hat, and Pauline in an outfit that was already out of fashion sixty years earlier!  Patti not taking another couple of steps up onto the low podia, but instead stopping in front of Pauline, also jars, although it might perhaps have been choreographed that way.

However, how much more fun this would become when Flick included it in the Legs cabaret programme, but treated it as a comedy number.  Kitted out in the same rich blue sequin dresses that were worn for 'You'll Never Know', but now embellished with long white gloves and fox furs, it featured in order of appearance, Rosie, Sue, Gill and finally Anita.  As the routine progressed the desire to be in the spotlight became ever more fraught, and soon any lady-like behaviour went out the window in favour of 'diva'ish antics, with the fox furs coming in very handy to deal with the competition!!  Now that would have been a max.

As it is, back to the TOTP version, to which I'll give 6 with Lulu as Dotd.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Well I think you all know me well enough already to know this is not the sort of routine that floats my boat - it's better than some of the other slow ones though, so I will go to 5 out of 10. I do cringe when they are reduced to doing literal movements...like finger acting "rain" at the mention of it in the lyric.

I thought from the simpering opening look to cam Rosie would be nailed on for DotD, however she just doesn't look comfortable doing this routine.....when she's up front she doesn't extend her arms fully as though she's n ot really engaged with the dance at all...so for once I am going to love and leave Miss Hetherington, and pass her over for the gorgeous Gill, who is rocking the wild-west saloon-bar madam look this week.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

I have to say this isn't one of my favourite performances, but credit once again to Flick for coming up with a routine which is something a little different. Maybe it's just that I'm not a fan of the song, and that always has an influence on my judgement of the routine itself, but it just doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that all of the girls get to take a turn up front, they look lovely and we do get a few good face shots, but that's about it for me.

Rating 5/10

DOTD Gill , who I think looks stunning.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Not the best song from Diana Ross and not easy one to dance to. However, it’s a theatrically elegant performance from Legs & Co to this slow ballad. It’s the literal choreographed translation of the lyrics to movement that makes this routine so entertaining.

Purple haired Patti is DOTD for me. She gives a wicked look to the camera “With no apologies”, when taking her turn, and a farewell wave on her final return to the podium.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

In this routine, we have our ladies going down a white path. At one end of this path is a two stepped plinth. With our ladies on it, dressed in different fashionable clothes. Flick is using our ladies to take in turn to go to a white circle spot on the studio floor. So our ladies are showing themselves off, as the song says. The first lady we see is Rosie in a glamorous light purple dress. The camera pans out to reveal the other ladies in fantastic clothes. We have Pauline in a forties type dress with fur edging. And a casscading white pearl necklace down her purple dress. We see Gill in a Hollywood tight off the shoulder dress, she looks a million dollars. We then have Patti wearing a light purple wig. And a black satin dress, that used Pans in a routine. Then we have the loser in the dress stakes. And this is Sue in a mish mash of a dress. The camera pans down the white path to the last of our ladies. This is Lulu in a stunning white dress. We have nice close-ups of our ladies, through out this routine. Another good routine, with alot of acting by our ladies going with the songs lyric. The end is good with Gill and the splits.

The Dotd will go to Patti.For that wonderful close-up of her.

The score must be a 7 out of 10.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

It's certainly Lulu's turn to hug the limelight here, with a cuteness reminiscent of Rosie, in the Hotel California dance routine, though thankfully, no animals were harmed during the making of this Diana Ross track representation.
I do like the collective support act by the other dancers, I'm that they're meant to be Lulu's bridesmaids.
The main literal aspect here, is each of the dancers taking it in turns to pirouette on the stage.
In no ways is this a particularly mediocre production, Lulu, at least, prevents that happening, but it's one of the weakest that we've seen, during, this year, '81, for me however.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Colm
First of all, has Gill ever looked so captivatingly stunning? Her costume echoes the dresses in the "Chiquitita" routine of two years prior.

And are there any sweeter smiles seen on the likes of Rosie, Pauline and Lulu?

On first viewing, I wasn't sure of why Patti had been given a wig to wear - but further viewings have made me realise how it enhances her beauty.

Finally, as always, Sue's solo piece is mesmerising and perfectly executed.

DotD: A close-run thing, but for getting the emotion of the piece right, Patti

Score: 7.5

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Suefan wrote
However, how much more fun this would become when Flick included it in the Legs cabaret programme, but treated it as a comedy number.
 What a good idea SF; I can absolutely see your point and this would have been fun to have witnessed.  Not sure if Miss Ross had a sense of humour or not (some reports say not!) but this would have made a really good spectacle.  It brings to mind the snowball fight at the end of Barbados and the squabbling babies in Young Hearts and reminds me how well these ladies served comedy up.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Adorable Gillusion
5/10  DOTD...Gill
Stu

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Stu
This feels like it could've been an appropriate song for L&C to bow out on. It's not too great by any means, but it does have the feel and melancholy of a farewell number.

7.5/10

DOTD - Patti

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Mikey
Mega diva Diana is back in ballad territory with this so-so track thus not a great deal to dance to, so basically Flick hasn't bothered. The outfits are quite a mixed bag although looks like it fans of the purple/mauve range of the colour spectrum will be happy. I guess Gill is the real winner here with a gorgeous retro Hollywood look, although Patti in the rarely seen combo of purple punky wig and black gown takes the biscuit for wackiness, and as for the thing on Rosies head....

I don't really know quite what to make of it all, yet its still watchable and i'll give it a slightly generous 7/10. Star Turn Gill

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Not a great deal to get worked up about with this one.The song is dreary and the costumes are a bit hit & miss.There isn't much dancing either.Yes there are plenty of happy smiley close-ups with Rosie dazzling as ever,but really there's not much here.6/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Old Grey Whistler
This routine fared badly in the monthly poll but in my opinion it was probably the best of the month, although only by a narrow margin.  It is not one to set the pulses racing but there is enough here to keep my interest and it is very watchable.  I think Lulu and Patti manage to nab the best outfits, although I would have preferred Patti to have not worn the wig.  Were Legs and Co being sponsored by a wig company at this time?
There are lots of close ups and everyone gets a good amount of camera time but I don't feel as though I can go above 8 out of 10.
Gill is smouldering with her trademark moody stares and does well to preserve her grace and elegance when she sits down at the end. However Lulu stands out the most for me and so gets my DOTD vote.

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Old Bill
As it starts I'm thinking... hmmm there's someone missing... there's someone missing!! Where is she?! WHEEEERRREEE ?!?!?!
But all is well because after what seems like a life-time it's my turn and we finally get to see Lulu at the front.  Phew, all is well in the world. Except I'm not crazy about her dress. Or Sue's. They remind me of the toilet roll covers that my Nan used to have.

The others look great though. Especially Patti's wig. I wonder what she thought she she was told she was the only one having to wear one though?

The dancing is gentle and graceful but unexciting. The podium at the front looks like it's seen a few rehearsals - which is believable as no-one puts a high-heeled foot wrong. One thing got me thinking though, if this was filmed as one 'live' take, which I assume it was, it's a master-piece of off-camera positioning as the move back & forth to take their spots at the front.

Shame we don't get a proper close of Lulu. That's going to lose it many, many points when we come to scoring. They really need to think about if they want a perfect 10 from me.

That said the close-ups we do get are super.

But the whole thing can only get 6.5/10 out me. Patti is DotD for the look of disdain on "With no apologies" and handowave on "To turn and say goodbye".
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Angie
Great routine but overwhelmed by Ms Ross' tune.

6/10

DOTD: Sue

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

AC/PD
Well, it's certainly literal in terms of turns either in the spotlight or rotational and overall puts one in mind of a Pan's People type of routine, albeit a classy one. The set is stylish in its simplicity, offering the perfect winding platform for the ladies to parade their variable fashions briefly in the spotlight where the emergence of the day comes from Lulu's reverse melt, fluttering from camouflage into view.
Of the six, Rosie's the one to automatically be given a free pass into the VIP enclosure on Ladies Day at Ascot, with approving comments particularly for the hat from fashion commentator Eve Pollard. Sue might need to prove her outfit is an Elizabeth Emmanuel number and not one of Sarah Green's cast-offs. Looking lovely from the neck up, Pauline might be forbidden from entry due to the two furry live animals irritatingly encircling each arm
As stated by The Rubberband Man the literal aspects such as the default falling rain finger motions add to the enjoyment of simpler times. Patti slinks but a word of praise for Gill too in her Wild West garb, fluttering to the floor at the conclusion although were she to have been given a better 'turn' the DOTD would not have gone to Lulu.
7/10
DOTD: Lulu

Re: ITS MY TURN [January]

Doc
I like the literal approach of giving each of the girls their turn at the head of the catwalk. It stopped it becoming a copy of Lonely Together. Not bad 8/10.
Dotd: I'm giving it to Rosie for getting out the hair straighteners, much better than the frizzy look! A notable mention for Patti who looked very good.
Still living in 1979
12