ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

ITS ONLY LOVE  Dance/performance number 226 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Elvis Presley  reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  11/09/80  Duration of dance 2.38 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline  206
Sue      205
Rosie    203
Patti     199
Gill       199
Lulu      195
Blog link to the routine - http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1740

   Three years after the sudden demise of the King of Rock n Roll, hes back in the charts again (guess the Graceland estate are cashing on in the 36 month anniversary). I dont confess to ever being much of a fan of him or his music, and this offering isn't a song i particularly like either.
   The routine itself is fun to watch and i get the impression the dancers enjoyed performing this too, Pauline and Rosie in particular. The cowgirl theme, used to such effect 5 years previously with Pans People is again pleasing to the eye. The use of the hats as a prop is a nice touch. How odd though that once again Gill uses hers to block out the camera. The five dancers on show are once again superb, so is the choreography and costumes, which match the song so well. Quite unusual though to have the dancers stationary and on camera for a couple of seconds at the beginning of the routine, waiting for the music to start. I think that may be down to JS rabbiting on to long during his intro.

DOTD--Im going for fun loving `Pauline`.

Rating--Lets face it, without BBC4 exposure, score ratings for this and other routines that befall this fate will be slightly down. Im trying not to let that influence my score ratings, but i do feel with the benefit of it being on the big TV screen in the corner of my room id go a little higher. `8.5 out of 10`.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

PattiForPM
This is the  best Elvis Legs dance from my perspective and  I too like the enthusiastic cowgirls and their positive attitude and shredded outfits.  It's a close thing for DotD with Sue and Rosie almost toppling the eventual champ but you're in tough when Pauline turns on the charm, as she does here to great effect.  This performance is very good to watch and gets 9/10 from the Canadian Judge even with Patti left back at the Ranch

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

This posse gets their man every time.  Its a 10, even without benefit of BBC4 HD, with Sue the ranch hand of the day.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

I wonder what happened to the costume bottoms, it looks like they were all put through a paper shredder, but apart from that which spoiled the dance routine, it was otherwise great, with all dancers getting heaps of close-up camera time, & it's a great effort for a backing track that couldn't have been that easy to translate into a worthy dance routine.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

PattiForPM
I always appreciate Patti votes PBP but you might want to reconsider this time as she was MIA this week

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Angie
Love the song, the routine and especially the costumes! I want a hat like that!!!

9/10 for me.....would have been 10 but there's no Patti!

DOTD: Sue.

Angie

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

L&C4me
8.75/10            DOTD   Pauline

Such a fine passionate song again from Elvis. I always love to hear him sing with that deep fine voice, but don't often do it now. I really would have loved to see Patti perform in one of these fantastic white cowgirl outfits to this. Her now long staight hair under that white hat, with all the glorious expressions she can muster would be  irrisistable and intoxicating.

Each dancer looks terrific, but Pauline stands out in this and does a lovely performance. The routine is very reminiscent of a Pans People routine in every way.
Jim

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

That shows how much I pay attention, okay chalk that vote off, & give it to Sue instead.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

To save you any more embarrassment, i will edit your original post so it says Sue.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Nostalgia had taken full control of TOTP with a song that was recorded in 1971 and sounded exactly like that. It felt somewhat out of place among the new wave and heavy metal artists that dominated that particular episode. I must say I have no idea how that record made it to No. 3 - it wasn't even one of Elvis' better songs.
Ok, in come the cowgirls and as soon as they are lining up you actually don't care about the song any more. A very pan-esque dance - no wonder with a song that Pan's People should have danced to - in very nice costumes with a lot of smiles. But "Midnight Rider" it ain't. Still a good routine.

8 / 10

DotD: Sue

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Suefan
VintageVideos wrote
Nostalgia had taken full control of TOTP with a song that was recorded in 1971 and sounded exactly like that. It felt somewhat out of place among the new wave and heavy metal artists that dominated that particular episode. I must say I have no idea how that record made it to No. 3 - it wasn't even one of Elvis' better songs.
In the kingdom of the blind even the one-eyed man is king.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Gorgeous Daze
The momentary pause at the starting gate is soon followed by a salute to the King previously seen in closing but again from behind way back in 77. It feels like a breath of reverence. Solemn dues paid, the fun can begin. The combination of a big Walker Brothersesque song and Him strictly required in interpretation something almost impossibly sincere in increasingly informal times. Three years marked a big shift in the pop-cultural landscape then and just long enough for it to be OK to have a little mischief with the song. Isn't it...you know...erm...just a tad OTT? The moves are Pan's-like but with a splash of irony not so evident in the earlier troupe. And wisely so, a different time and different personalities would otherwise have made it like watching a tribute act compared to the real McCoy. Pauline is as wacky-faced as in Off The Wall, Rosie hams it up in her natural home on the range. But in those well-worn ranch-hand costumes there's never a shred of disrespect to male viewers. The dancing is given an enhancing flow in the flouncy sleeves, all dusted with a rhinestone sparkle. A word for Sue's lovely synchronized moment of maximum barnet exposure, but it's just Pauline for my DOTD.   8.25/10

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Adorable Gillusion
8.5/10   DOTD...Pauline

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

SuPaLu
Not much real proper dancing in this one,and the song isn't much either.But it is a spirited performance especially from Rosie & Pauline,and i like the costumes too.8/10.
DotD:Pauline

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

AC/PD
A Pansian performance but with added frivolity stopping just short of actual knowing winks. As with the song, the set itself steps back in time to a decade before, contrasting nicely with the 60 degree boilwash brilliant white costumes topped by traditional stetson and tailed with cowgirl boots seemingly retained from the 'It's Only Rock And Roll' routine of a week before - from Native Indians to 'shoot 'em up' Cowgirls. Rosie's expressions as a heartbroken Mary-Lou amuse in a Sue-Ellen manner but...dang it, Pauline and her index fingers are just that little bit quicker on the draw.
8/10
DOTD: Pauline

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Old Grey Whistler
I wasn't at all familiar with this song before watching this however it is starting to grow on me a bit now.
The costumes are great and there is some nice chorography as well.
Pauline stands out the most and gets DOTD.
My score is 8.25 out of 10.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Mikey
Not an Elvis song i know, a suprise and somewhat random release no doubt, but his fans are loyal and even a lesser song can still sell even though he was no longer with us. Still we can now almost erase the memory of 'My Way' and come up with something good. Those shiny cowgirl outfits are doing the business, i like the little tassles and the boots. I hadn't watched the routine all that much before so its nice to see something afresh, and overall its pretty good 8/10. DOTD Sue

Legs and Co have left the building...until the proms finish of course.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Doc
Don't know why but this dance seems sort of reminiscent of something Pan's would have done. Not that that's a criticism I like it. 9/10.
Dotd: Flick helped me out here and hid my favorite most of the time. Sue stands out and has a good dance, but she's got loads of votes so I'm going for the equally good but less favoured Pauline.

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Another missed from the BBC canon, but thankfully at hand to view.  One of the best Elvis numbers since Way Down.  Top notch routine, wonderful outfits (used again for the cover of one of the TOTP LP's)

I riproaring belter of a Elvis tune, the cash cow starts here.  A wonderful, hypnotic performance of little snippets of fun, and pure entertainment.  You just can't beat this, then join this.

Wonderful

Scores: 10

Cowgirl: Sue
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: ITS ONLY LOVE [September]

Stu
This one felt like a throwback to the early years of legs. Whenever they do an Elvis number there seems to be lots of fun involved, and I like it.

8.5/10

DOTD  Pauline
12