Quantcast

In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Old Grey Whistler
Normally on this forum we celebrate happy occasions  such as birthdays however I feel that we should pause for a moment to reflect that it is 5 years today since Flick Colby passed away.
She was a really good dancer, it is just a shame that so many of her performances were wiped. She will probably best be remembered though for her choreography. I find it quite astounding that she was able to devise at least one new routine every week for well over a decade. She never resorted to copying a previous routine. When Legs & Co did Jungle Rock, it would have been understandable with so many routines to do over Christmas, if she had just copied the Pans People performance from earlier in the year, but she didn't resort to that.
Five years ago this forum was running but was still in it's early days, and the BBC Four repeats had only just started, so she was probably not aware that her work remained as popular as ever and was attracting a new audience.  I do wonder if had she lived on she would have visited this site.  How good would a Q & A session with Flick have been! Although I do wonder what she would make of us critiquing her work! However even on the very rare occasions when a routine didn't quite work, it was more down to issues with lighting or dry ice or lack of budget / time than any failing of hers.
I hope that she is resting in peace and devising new routines with Louise and Andrea.

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

AC/PD
What a lovely tribute to Flick, OGW.
It's somehow appropriate that the 5th anniversary falls on the date her Legs & Co. creation makes a farewell appearance on tonight's edition of Top Of The Pops - neatly tied together.
Flick's up there, standing by the gates choreographing "You'll Never Get To Heaven".

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Everything'sRosie
Yes, I'd like to second that tribute too. I was only thinking the other day, I hope Flick realised how much her work was still loved. I guess the repeats came a bit too late for her. RIP Flick.

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Good idea OGW.  I would like to thank Flick for all her amazing work and for the numerous hours of fine entertainment she has given to us all.  May her great contribution never be forgotten

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Nicely put OGW and wouldn't a Q&A with Flick have been great.  Generating lots of light and perhaps a spot of heat as well.

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

A suitably fitting tribute and nicely put OGW.
A fabulously creative and inspirational choreographer, her literal interpretations of hit records are legendary.
RIP Flick

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Is it five years since this wonderful Lady pass on. And what a wonderful memoriam OGW to a great dancer and choreographer.

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Thanks for you well thought out post, OGW. It was a sad loss that Flick went so early, but her memory will certainly live on.

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

A lovely thought out posting OGW and i concur with every word of it.  The Flick Q&A session would have eclipsed everything else and we can only imagine how enlightening and informative that would have been.

Genius is the most over used word in entertainment and it gets used way to often. But i have no qualms in associating that word with Flick. The mind boggles at how she devised a new dance routine every week for over a decade.

Now thats a real `behemothic` effort !!

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

How neat would it be to have Flick critique our interpretation of her wonderful Dances over a few glasses of wine and hopefully really let loose on us

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Genius is the most over used word in entertainment and it gets used way to often. But i have no qualms in associating that word with Flick. The mind boggles at how she devised a new dance routine every week for over a decade.
I'll say it too. A creative genius. Studying her ancestry it seems alpha-humans were not unusual in her family though.

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Such a touching tribute OGW. Flick will always be remembered for her choreography on TOTP and it's so sad that she was taken away so soon. You will never be forgotten Flick.

Re: In Memoriam - Flick Colby

Dancer
A lovely tribute.  Better late than never.  I hope she is dancing away in front of her dressing table up in heaven to Bridge Over Troubled Water.  To come up with routines every week so diverse was fantastic and I always thought she should have had an OBE.  Flick was truly marvellous and made me happy for a number of years.  RIP my lovely. xx
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper