In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Locked 67 messages Options

In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Sue Menhenick
This post was updated on .
  We were all shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the recent passing of Andrea earlier this month .
  Andy,  as we knew her was an integral part of Pans People in the early days. She was a good friend and a lovely dancer.

  Happy memories .... Always remembered ......

              Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth and Sue.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

BeautifulBabs
Very sad at the news but so pleased you've written this Sue from yourself and the other girls

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

It was really sad news about Andrea. Gone to soon for Pans People and in life. A lot of our condolences can be found on the link below.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Sad-News-tp4106595.html

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Doc
I'm just a little bit too young to remember Andrea in Pan's People but through her dances that survive I've been able to see what a talented and beautiful lady she was, had I been older I think she would have been a big favourite of mine. It so sad that she's no longer with us.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

RFTK Radio
Very sad news  , Condolences to Andreas family and to those of you who worked with her x

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
I am Andrea's daughter Louise Claire Finch nee Mendes da Costa. I have been searching my mums name since she passed away earlier this month  and came across some old posts on this website about whatever happened to my mum. As someone pointed out she was rarely mentioned and never attended any interviews. I am happy to fill in any blanks for anyone who is interested and happy to prove my identity if necessary particularly as there is some man claiming to be her son! I was mums only child born on May 3rd 1973 and named after Louise Clark, when I was born I was pictured with mum I believe in the sun and mirror newspaper and my father was Gerald Mendes da Costa .
I am saddened at how little information there is on my mum after she left pans people. Mum was amazing and I miss her greatly, it is nice to see that people still wonder about her so long after her wonderful dancing days.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Thanks so much for posting here Louise and I'm so sorry for your loss.  Your Mum was indeed a fine dancer and entertained many people and is well remembered here as you will have seen.  Thanks also for the offer of more information.  Perhaps we could come up with some questions for you or perhaps others have another format in mind if you would agree.  More information on these lovely dancers is always appreciated and to us I would say Andrea has been something of an enigma in some ways.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you for the nice words about mum, she was a fab dancer and does seem to be an enigma. Why I didn't do searches when she was still here I don't know, I wish I had. Happy to answer questions or alternative format though I can't help imagining being asked to dance in front of a panel to see if I am genetically related to mum. Funny in my head!

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

VintageVideos
Hello Louise, I'm very pleased you found your way to this forum. Please accept my sincerest condolences. We all loved your mother, not just because she was a fab dancer but also because she appeared to be a very lovely person. We really cherish the performances that are still available (far too few unfortunately). Andrea is still very popular on this forum but - alas - unlike some of the other dancers we do not really know a lot about her from the time after she left Pan's People. I would love to learn a bit more about the things she did after 1972.
Vin

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you  for your kind words. I posted on another thread 'sad news' and said I'm happy to answer any questions to verify my identity so once that's done I will gladly post details of mums life from 72 to 15.  It's a great comfort to see all the comments and to have people interested in mum. Mum really was a lovely person, she was not only beautiful but extremely kind, loyal, loving and caring and I'm so proud and glad that she was a pans person but more importantly my mum. I will say that at the time of her death I telephoned the daily mirror and emailed the BBC and neither chose to report on her death which really saddened me hence why it's so nice to have come across this site.
Sincerely, Louise.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Willoway
This post was updated on .
Hi Louise, it's lovely to hear from you, and I do hope you choose to share some information on your mother's life post 1972.

If you don't have the original clippings from when you were born, you can get them here for a fairly reasonable cost. You may or may not be aware of a clipping already on the internet of your mum's wedding that someone scanned a few years back. To make the second link work, you need to take out the & and everything after.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you very much, via your link I got to read old posts wishing mum happy birthday and some lovely comments about her, it's so lovely and I wish she could have seen them. Mum wasn't computer literate and I'm not much better. I am hoping to get a new computer and scanner in the new year so maybe I'll be able to put some stuff up. Thank you  I do have the original press cuttings of mum and dads wedding and when I was born and some beautiful photos of mum. I will get round to posting about mums life just not sure if I just do it like this on a thread or if there is somewhere particular. I'm still learning about the internet although I find shopping easy enough!
Again if anyone reads this who has posted wishes to my mum in the past,  a big thank you it has given me a little comfort during this awful time.
Sincerely, Louise.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Doc
I found this in The Daily Express online archive a few years ago (not a great scan unfortunately).
11/12/71

LouiseFinch
Hello this is Louise, Andrea's daughter. I just wanted to fill some gaps in on my mum for anyone interested. As you all probably know mum did a bit of dancing for a while after she had me with her group sister matic but once that ended she was at home looking after me. We moved to Barnet when I was 5 so mum would have been 31 and there we statyed until I was 9. Then in 1982 my mum and dad and I emigrated to Sydney Australia. My mums older sister Lorraine had settled there with her husband. A year into Australia my mum and dad separated and later divorced and my dad returned to England, I stayed in Australia with mum and visited dad for three months of each year. Mum got a job in an accounting firm but she taught modern dance to adults in the evenings. My mums sister and her husband set up s restaurant and after much badgering they persuaded my mum to manage the restaurant for them. Mum worked incredibly hard and I guess it was there her love of food began. Mum worked there for years and when I was fifteen I returned to England to get an education with the intent of returning to mum after but that never happened. My mum went on to manage another restaurant and around this time she met someone who she had a thirteen year relationship with. He was Italian by birth but came from Argentina and after a time he persuaded mum to emigrate to Argentina. Mum did and whilst they were there they had their own restaurant but Argentina was a very corrupt place so they were never going to be successful. Sadly it was during this time that mum had to sell off a lot of her pans people costumes just to pay for protection . It was an awful time, they managed to get back to Australia with nothing and mum again worked incredibly hard (2 jobs) to get by. Eventually mum and her partner set up their own Italian restaurant which could have been a success if it wasn't for her partner. Mum lost the restaurant and ended up working with food at Sydney international airport where she won numerous awards. Her relationship slowly broke down and in late 2003 she returned to England to be with me. Mum got a job as catering manager of a respected secondary school where she transformed school dinners into restaurant standard food . Since mum returned to England she saw me get married and became a grandma. These late years here and pans people days where ther happiest of her life. Mum was an amazing, beautiful, clever, kind and wonderful woman and the best grandma ever. I am missing her terribly , Louise.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

VintageVideos
Thank you Louise. It's very interesting to read your post. I am sorry that your mother had to go through such difficult times. But it's good to know that she spent her late years happily.

In your post you are referring to "Sister-Matic". There are some pictures of "Sister-Matic" on the picture thread which you can find here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/A-is-for-Andrea-tp4010021.html

In the thread, Andrea's sister Dee is mentioned as a member of "Sister-Matic". I have to confess, until a couple of days ago I didn't know anything about Dee and her appearances on Top of the Pops. Do you happen to have any further information for us? We'd be very grateful for every little bit.
Vin

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Thanks so much from me too Louise.  Your Mum certainly lived an interesting and varied life and I'm sorry to hear some of it was hardship, particularly in Argentina.  I wonder if I can ask a question or two myself and don't feel you have to respond if you're not able to or comfortable doing so.  Firstly, did she ever express a preference or fondness for any particular Dance performance of hers?  Secondly, and this is something I know several of us have wondered about, when she left TOTP in late 1972, do you know if she initially intended to return later and did she ever make any effort to do so?  Tony Blackburn seemed to imply this when he introduced her "replacement" Cherry Gillespie so this has always made us wonder.  Thanks again for considering these questions and for your summary of your Mum's life

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you both. My mums sister Dee tragically died of leukaemia aged 30, she left 2 sons. This was around 1987 I think. Would have to confirm with mum cousins. As for the other questions pattiforpm I have to be honest I don't know. It's funny but you guys know more about my mums pans days than me, she was just mum really although i am very proud. I am very interested myself so I will ask my dad, he may know. I only see him every few weeks but I'll post after our next visit whether he knows or not. Mum did have some hard times but her strength and courage were inspirational.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Thanks Louise nearly cried reading this ....So Andrea Rutherford was also a foodie how perfect was that..! Oddly on one if the old pans people forum now defunct someone did say they had met your mum by chance in Argentina but I don't think anyone believed them and I'd read about her being in Australia but again no one was sure. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to update us at such a sad time . I don't know if you are into watching your mum's old dance routines but there are many on here and in the reviews she always gets fond mentions from people on here. She always comes across that she is working hard in her dancing too.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Someone may well have met mum in Argentina, I can't remember how long she was there for as we spent about 15 years apart from each other but she was there long enough to set up s business and try to make a go of it. Mum could have done anything really she was very talented yet extremely modest, she made the most amazing birthday cakes for me and my little one that were worthy of any high end shop. Once she made a cake for me that had all different spring flowers towering over the cake, it was really beautiful. I could go on about mum all day buried think you all get the picture.