In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Thank you for generously sharing those interesting details about your mum Louise.
I loved to watch her dance on TOTP and her smile would brighten the darkest of college days all those years ago.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Andeebee
Many thanks Louise from me as well

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
It's a pleasure, thank you for being interested it's really lovely.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

TheOtherOne
I just registered to say thank you Louise for sharing your thoughts about your mum and sorry for your loss. Like others I'd wondered what had happened to Andrea since leaving Pan's People. It's great that you have been able to fill in the "gaps" and to hear that, having experienced a few ups and downs, her later years were happy and productive ones enjoying her grandchildren in the UK.

A shame she was not able to see this site and the affection that she is still held in, but hopefully it's a comfort to you. She definitely had that late 60/early70s look that is very evocative and was a great dancer with a lovely warm smile.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you for your lovely message. It is indeed a comfort that people have such kind words to say about mum, I am so sad that I never found this while she was alive. I couldn't agree more about her look, I remember once she told me that someone told her she should have been famous in the 40's as she had the right look for that era and I can see it but for me mum was a huge influence on taste I developed in clothes and make up, I love the style from the 60's and 70's and that's largely because she looked so fantastic and was a great inspiration.
Many thanks to everyone who has posted here about my mum I can't explain what a lovely feeling it is to read, Louise.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

AC/PD
Louise, thanks so much for providing a fulsome back-story to your Mother's hard-working life of trials and tribulations during your lifetime. Hopefully, being so open with the reminiscences is as soothingly cathartic for you as it is interesting for all of us reading your posts, particularly for those who remember seeing your Mother dance on Top Of The Pops back in the day.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Dancer
Louise - I am really sorry for your loss.  To read your statuses are so interesting and sad at the same time.  Your Mom worked tirelessly.  Thinking about you my lovely and thank you for sharing.  I only watched your Mom last night dancing to Ain't No Sunshine and she looked lovely (as she always did).  She was a lovely dancer and had the most beautiful looks and hair.  I hope she is dancing now up there and catching up on much needed rest.  Prayers to you my lovely.  xx

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you  Dancer for your lovely words , I am very lucky to have a DVD of some dances kindly saved by a lovely man called Jonathan Wood  who worked for the BBC and rescued footage from a bin. I was watching it the other night and I am so proud of mum . I saw Ain't no sunshine and wondered what year that was, do you know?

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you Pauline. Yes you're right, wrising and reading about mum is wonderful and I am very privileged to be able to.

NnRe: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Hi Katy
I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband, I can only imagine how painful that is it must be so difficult. Losing mum is awful and although it's the natural order  it is hard to take when she was only 68. I hope she's dancing whilst Bowie  plays his catalogue of music.
It's funny you saying about the difference  now and then for women as that's something mum and I talked about, when you look at the popularity of the spice girls and the fortune they made its a real shame Pans Peopke didn't get a fraction of what they deserved. Thank goodness times have changed although I still think they need to change further.  Anyway I coukd ramble on but thank you for your comments and I really hope you are finding a way to enjoy life in such a difficult time. My thoughts are with you, Louise.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Hi Louise,

I can answer your question about Ain't no sunshine. The routine was performed on 14/09/1972 and is one of the few surviving performances from that year. A lovely routine.

You can find a list of Pan's People TOTP performances here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pan-s-People-on-Top-of-the-Pops-td4097653.html

This list may still contain errors and is far from being complete, but it is very difficult to obtain exact information because the BBC dumped so many shows.

You will notice the "Exists" column in the list. As you can see, there are just eight routines from 1972 that are known to exist.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you very much vintage videos. As I was watching it the other day I thought mum looked a little rounder around the tummy and hip area and I wondered if she was pregnant with me and indeed she would have been, thank you.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Doc
In addition to VV's list there are two lists of what is known to still exist.
from Top of the Pops
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTP-ROUTINES-THAT-STILL-EXIST-AND-POSSIBLE-SURVIVALS-tp4009910.html
and from other shows
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/SURVIVING-APPEARANCES-AWAY-FROM-TOTP-tp4073840p4073841.html

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

LouiseFinch
Thank you Doc

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Doubleday
By way of introduction, I'm a long-standing but rather occasional poster here, and notorious for asking abstruse questions at book signings .

You've probably found them yourself, but Andrea always seems to shine especially brightly in Green River, Backstabbers and Great Balls of Fire; one of several routines circa 1969 from The Price of Fame. These presumably still exist in original form, as at least one popped up on a BBC compilation (...sings The Rolling Stones). For now, they're all on the blog.

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

VintageVideos
Funny that two out of the three you mentioned only exist as rehearsals...

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Andeebee
not the case - Green River does exist with the Savile outro, on the same pratt tape as the rehearsal

You mean a second version? I never heard of that outro before

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

Andeebee
yes on the same Pratt tape as the rehearsal

Pans People/Creedence Clearwater Revival "Green River" 01.01.1970 X2 (Savile outro)

Re: In Memory of Andrea Rutherford

VintageVideos
As I said, that is completely new to me...