Interview with Patti

Re: Interview with Patti

Legs11
My pleasure!

And thank you for the warm welcome!

Re: Interview with Patti

Again a fantastic read from this fab lady, and Legs11 thanks for putting this on our site.

Re: Interview with Patti

Willoway
This post was updated on .
Very insightful interview though no dates at all relating to Patti, though Deer Hunter reference dates the interview to mid-79. Interesting to see her positive references to Dougie Squires, with all her experience, easy to see why Flick broke her under-20 formula to take on Patti. The only other dancers recruited by Flick that had Dougie Squires links I can think of are Gary Downie (1968) and Lesley Judd (at a stretch)..
Another hard to pin down reference to a stage show to add to two others, best guess is Peter Pan (a regular musical, not a panto with Lulu as Peter Pan) staged at the Palladium 75-76, but could be completely wrong.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Interview with Patti

I found one section of the Patti interview quite surprising. In my naivety i always assumed that she (Patti) was known to Flick beforehand and her place in the new dance troupe Ruby Flipper was just a case of FC okaying it. Afterall Patti had been in the dancing game for quite a while and had worked at the BBC on many an occasion and she had an obvious dancing talent to boot. I simply thought she was a long term Flick target and could easily have found herself being latter day Pans person if that group had gone on.

So it came as a surprise to read that it was her who contacted FC and i assume went through the same audition process with Lulu and the boys, all of whom were 20 or younger i believe. At the age of 26 i regard her success at landing the role to be quite a remarkable feat, considering FC's unwritten rules about age qualification. One may call it another stroke of genius by Flick.

Re: Interview with Patti

Willoway
I think Patti had a one-person audition - to quote a Sue interview recently reposted on this site
"Cherry and myself helped Flick with auditions at the Dance Centre to find new members....Lulu,  Gavin, Philip and Floid (who wasn’t there to audition originally, but Flick had spotted him in the corridor dancing and waiting for his friend to audition: she was impressed with him and picked him out!).  We found Patti separately not long after that....she had worked professionally before with other choreographers, and so the final "look" was in place."
This new Patti interview nicely fleshes that out.

The reference to a contact in the wardrobe department is interesting, Flick worked closely with the wardrobe department creating a new set of costumes each week, so would have been something of a fixture there, so a good contact to have.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Interview with Patti

Well done Willoway and i bow to the fact you recall such interviews, sadly im rather lapse in such matters. In a way its gratifying to know that Patti didn't have to go through the same audition procedure as the newbie dancers. She was to darn good a dancer for that.

Re: Interview with Patti

Willoway
Lulu, Floid and Phil certainly did go though the audition process, Phil's and Lulu's accounts are here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/trivia/ruby_flipper/philip_steggles/page1.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/trivia/legs_and_co/lulu_cartwright/page1.shtml

Sue includes Gavin as a successful auditionee, but with the huge respect due to Sue it's hard to imagine Gavin succeeded in a large audition with dancers with very serious CVs (Phil talks about having to succeed against a fellow Young Generation dancer in his audition), so I do wonder if his route in was a bit unconventional too.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Interview with Patti

Old Grey Whistler
Willoway wrote
Sue includes Gavin as a successful auditionee, but with the huge respect due to Sue it's hard to imagine Gavin succeeded in a large audition with dancers with very serious CVs (Phil talks about having to succeed against a fellow Young Generation dancer in his audition), so I do wonder if his route in was a bit unconventional too.
Flick maybe wanted to go in a slightly different direction to what she had done previously, so it was probably Gavin's gymnastics ability that got him the nod.

Re: Interview with Patti

Willoway
Indeed, I guess that was a USP that made him win through, lucky for him (or maybe not in the longer run) that it became apparent - Phil talks of large numbers of people auditioning. Though in the accounts we have of the auditions, there's nothing specific to when or how Gavin won his place, which is a shame.
...is she really going out with him?
12