Irish Pics

GJB

Irish Pics

GJB
The dance troupe Legs & Co, photographed at the BBC Rehearsal Rooms in Acton, London, on 7 February 1980. RTÉ Television's 'Let's Go', a series on sport aimed at younger viewers, filmed a report on the group for an episode broadcast on 1 April 1980 - all the dancers are wearing 'Let's Go' badges. The RTÉ Guide published an article about the item on 28 March 1980 while the RTÉ staff magazine 'Access' also reported on this edition of the show on 6 March 1980.
Date of photograph 07/Feb/1980

GJB

Re: Irish Pics

GJB

GJB

Re: Irish Pics

GJB
GJB

Re: Irish Pics

GJB
Sue puts on her make up ready for the show Let's Go on RTE  07/Feb/1980

Re: Irish Pics

Nice clear pics Gaz. The R.T.E rehearsal is something that those who attend the Derby OFTDs event are familiar with. I think ive screened it 2 or 3 times now and i will more than likely show it again this year. Here are some of the screencaps from it.
RYAN
GJB

Re: Irish Pics

GJB

Re: Irish Pics

What were they performing to Ryan?

Re: Irish Pics

The clip comes with music to a song in which the phrase "Little Girl" is most prevalent. I assume this is the title to the song, but to be honest i think its just a song played over the clip and probably not what they danced to on the actual R.T.E show.

Re: Irish Pics

Dancer
What lovely pictures.  Thank you for sharing those out.  I always wondered where they rehearsed in terms of type of room.  I always envisaged cold and dank converted church with a Dansette record player.   The room here looks lovely.  There is a poster on the wall but I cannot try to make it out - it definitely does say Legs & Co.  The record player in the background has an LP or 12" single on it through the reflection but I cannot make the label out.  Irrespective they are lovely pictures.  Flick looks lovely too with her crimped hair.

Re: Irish Pics

Dancer wrote
 There is a poster on the wall but I cannot try to make it out - it definitely does say Legs & Co.
Quite right Dancer.

Re: Irish Pics

Ok thanks Ryan.

Its interesting if 7th February 1980 is the date of the photos as this was around the same time of the "A Day With A Dancer" book being based.

Re: Irish Pics

Mikey
A later one from 1983

Re: Irish Pics

Doc
The timeline would suggest that is Tanya in the centre. Not many pictures of her dancing. Possibly Patricia behind her.
Still living in 1979

Re: Irish Pics

Mikey
Yes id say so. The outfits dont give much clue as to what they could have been dancing to.

Re: Irish Pics

Everything'sRosie
It has a tribal vibe, so how about I Eat Cannibals? We'll probably never know, but it works for me. Some excellent photos though.

Re: Irish Pics

Mikey
Maybe Africa by Toto?, well that is from 1983, although the green dress wouldn't fit in unless there is a tentative Ireland/green connection.

Re: Irish Pics

Everything'sRosie
Calling Sue. Calling Sue. I'm sure she'll remember putting on that leopard print leotard

Re: Irish Pics

Sue Menhenick
Hi EverythingsRosie ....

This was from the Legs and Co  cabaret show performed for RT television, which we recorded during our last cabaret tour in Ireland.
The song is one from Hollywood days and an instrumental . It’s called ‘Sing , Sing ,Sing ‘ and was performed by Benny Goodman and the Benny Goodman Orchestra .
Floid choreographed the number who at the time felt that we needed a bit of ‘Hollywood’ in the cabaret as a bit of variety amongst the more recent hits and songs we were using at the time . Something light hearted and fun.
Odd little number I have to confess ....
Patti and Lulu as 2  Hawaian girls ....
Tanya as Shirley Temple ( Don’t ask because I don’t know why !!)
Tricia .... Hunter (?)
Sue .... leopard ( being hunted by the above !)

It was actually very popular , fun to do and no doubt the last thing people expected from  Legs and Co !  Full flat out dance routine though, ( thanks Floid !    🥵🥵 )
Hope this answers some questions  ..... 😉

Re: Irish Pics

Doc
Impressive memory, as always. Thanks for confirming that it was indeed Tanya. As it's the only picture I've seen of her dancing I've added it to the 'Who were Legs and Co page'. Shame about the placing of the watermark.
I was surprised to see that the 'Who were' page has been looked at over 14000 times, which is far more than I ever expected for a 'newbies' page.
Still living in 1979

Re: Irish Pics

Everything'sRosie
Thanks very much, Sue. As always a comprehensive answer. That looked a lot of fun...and I hope the leopard got away