Is it a myth ?

  Is it a common myth or did it really happen that Legs and co employed the services of a model/dancer called Patience Bradley for 2 apperances in 1978. She apparently danced to 2 numbers, Tragedy and Keep on dancing. If this did happen then what i really need to know is why ? Sue was the missing dancer supposedly, but why not dance with just 5 ? The routines did`nt need 6. Did this happen on any other occassion ?
    Another question for you. Why did Pauline Peters leave the troupe in early 81. Did she know the game was nearly up on totp for L&Co. Maybe she was preggers. Or had she just had enough.
   Quite deep questions these, does any one know any answers?

Re: Is it a myth ?

PattiForPM
HI Ryan,  Can't say I'm a high credibility source on this one (I'm sure Amy is our best bet with SueFan a close second) but I think this Patience Bradley stuff is nonsense.  On one webpage re TOTP my own Patti was misidentified as Patience in "Keep on Dancing"

Re: Is it a myth ?

Cheers p4pm, i was hoping for a bit of banter tonight regarding my Sue appreciation thread. Ive already wound Amy up, how about you my friend ?

Re: Is it a myth ?

Suefan
Hi guys, I've never heard this before.  As far as I know the only time Legs danced to Keep on Dancing by Gary's Gang was on March 1, 1979 - that is certainly the only clip I have.  All six girls are there, including Sue, wearing long cream evening dresses with small pillbox hats and short veils.  Not very memorable costumes but they match a rather sedate dance and song.

Intriguingly the listing I cobbled together from the poptastic website has the Tragedy number as having been performed the previous week.  I thought I had that number as well.  I know I've seen it either on the blog or the tube but can't find it.  I do remember that all the girls that were in that routine (cannot remember how many) wore pierrot costumes and so much make-upt that it was virtually impossible to identify who was who.  I may not have not bothered saving it for that reason.

Re: Is it a myth ?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Is it a myth ?

 Yep i tend a agree to agree with you Suefan. It definatly Sue in the Keep on dancing number. But the beeb insist its this Patience Bradley charachter. You cant tell on Tragedy cause of the cotumes. This woman also has a web page saying she appeared twice with Legs and co, so its still a bit of a mystery. YMG is`nt to sure either, check out his opinion on the clip on here.

Re: Is it a myth ?

Suefan
Ryan, perhaps this other lady danced with Legs after their stint on TOTP came to an end - it is certainly the fab six in Keep on Dancing.  Have just had another look at Tragedy and must say I quite like it - pity I never saved it as the link is now bust - must ask YMG if he still has it to up again.

Everyone feel free to shoot me down but this is my take on the Tragedy routine.  At the start Patti is in the centre with her head in her hands and Sue is there as well.  Even under all that face paint I can't miss my No 1 TOTP girl.  She is furthest to the right, as we see them, at the start and is the girl who moves the seat from back left to mid right fairly early in the routine.  Then at about 1.45 it is Sue leaning over the chair waving her legs in the air behind her.  Towards the end I think it is Pauline who first has the rose in the line-up while it is Lulu handing it to Patti who is last in the standing line.  Patti then places it on Rosie who has been shot and is sprawled over the chair.

Re: Is it a myth ?

PattiForPM
I'm right with you on this one SueFan.  Tragedy is a great routine and one of my favourites.  Patti, as usual (OK I won't press this) is front and centre with superb facial expressions and feeling making her shine through the costume and Sue's grace and flexibility identify her as you say.  Lulu is clearly shown too and the line at the end I think is Pauline to Gill to Sue to Lulu to PATTI (sorry I couldn't help it) and finally Rosie.  No mystery guests in this fine example of Legs & Co and Flick at work.  Ryan Patience Bradley is a myth wannabe but who can blame her!

Re: Is it a myth ?

Ok that myths put to bed then. A bit annoyed how Sue has missed out on ymg`s labels for both these routines. Important to keep her way ahead !

Re: Is it a myth ?

Patti'sdaughter
Hi everyone,  Sorry not been on all day been dancing.   Yes it's true.  Patience Bradley did do 2 routines,  Keep on dancing and tragedy.  There is another version of the dance routines.  One the keep on dancing the bbc said it was Patience Bradley middle row in the back  but it is infact my Mum.  On tragedy video I can spot my Mum and Lulu but not the others.  amy x
amy x

Re: Is it a myth ?

PattiForPM
The mythical Patience resurfaces!   Are you certain about this Amy?  I don't mean to be skeptical but where are these alternative versions of the two routines and why did TOTP need the extra dancer?  This is rather intriguing - I thought this was a dead thread when you started it Ryan but I guess I've misjudged you before and by now I should know better!  Can you explain any futher Amy and are there any pictures of Ms Bradley?

Re: Is it a myth ?

     Hi pattiforpm. Just google Patience Bradley and the mythical creatures there for all to see. Dosent look much though !

Re: Is it a myth ?

  Just checked. Google, patience-bbc-homepage. Theres actually two 30 second clips of her alleged performances would you believe. I think this is some sort of bbc conspiracy !

Re: Is it a myth ?

PattiForPM
I just checked that stuff Ryan but I don't see any "Patience" only our usual beauties.  I know this kind of talk got us into trouble before Ryan but I too think this smacks of a hoax.  Quickly Amy save us from ourselves and solve the mystery!

Re: Is it a myth ?

Suefan
The playlists suggest that Tragedy was danced on at least three occasions so I think there must be a good chance of a second performance and not just a repeated piece of VT.  Firstly it's listed on 22/2/79 when the DJ was DLT so that must be the version on the blog; then again the following week 1/3/79 with DJ Mike Read and finally in the 1979 Christmas show part 1 introduced by Kid Jensen & Peter Powell.

Given the intricate choreography of the number perhaps it would not have worked with only five girls and for some reason a replacement was needed at short notice.  Just a thought.

However, I'm with you Ryan as regards the versions on the blog.  If that is not Sue leaning over the chair and waving her legs in the air than I'm a Dutchman, and that is saying something where I come from.  We must get Mr Rumbole to memo Young Mister Grace about crediting our beauty for both those - that 200 mark is now well in sight.

Re: Is it a myth ?

Patti'sdaughter
Hi everyone,  Yes Suefan your right there was 3 different times that my Mum and co danced to tragedy.  It was my Mum that was missing on the show thats why Patience Bradley was brought in.  So it is correct. Also again with Keep on dancing.  (Though i dont see why that wouldnt have worked with the 5 members.)  My Mum has watched the tragedy video that YMG has on his blog and it is definately  my Mum, Lulu, Gill, Sue, Pauline and Rosie in that video.  The Beeb should never have put that it was Patience Bradley on the videos they have on there website when it's my Mum.  amy xx
amy x

Re: Is it a myth ?

Young Mister Grace
Suefan, is the clip of "Kep On Dancing" that you have significantly better quality than the rather low definition one I've posted on the blog? If so, I'd love a copy to post.
Cheers
YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: Is it a myth ?

Suefan
My copy of Keep on Dancing didn't come from the blog but it is no better than the one you have YMG.  It is the same show with the usual fab six behind those veils -no sign of Miss Bradley.  I'll have a hunt around to see if I can find out when they danced to this song on another occasion which would give us a clue as when this mystery lady cut a rug.

Re: Is it a myth ?

PattiForPM
If Ms Bradley was able to stand in for Patti I may need to adjust my top 3 girls and ditch Cherry (wow, that sounds good for a guy like me to be just casting off wonderful beauties like this)

Re: Is it a myth ?

  So pleased this myth you were all so sceptical about at first as now had 20 replies. Thanks for your interest guys.