Is it really that long ago!

Doc
Well it's hard to believe, but in 7 days and about 19 hours it will be exactly 40 years since these lovely ladies were introduced to the nation!
Roughly 19:25 Thursday 21st October 1976.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Old Grey Whistler
Yes. To be absolutely precise, 14,609 days will have passed!

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Its odd that by then 'part timer' Ed Stewart got to introduce the girls rather one of the regulars, at least it wasn't Jimmy i guess. Right, now we just need a name....

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Yes Mikey, true Ed was a part-timer by 76 but looking back im pleased a real gent in Ed was the man who was on duty that night. Dressed in his smart suit and talking in his best BBC voice his avuncular assurance surely helped to quell any nerves of the three new girls to television, though Gill was obviously a little anxious in just saying her name. The whole build up and eventual debut dance were carried out so well. Those girls had 10 years in them !

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Everything'sRosie
I always feel a little sad on seeing the introduction of the girls knowing we don't see them on the repeats anymore. But it's  uplifting too, seeing them at the beginning of the journey and knowing the incredible fun we're going to share with them over the coming years.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Still to this day I cannot believe that noone has taped the 11/11/76 & 18/11/76 editions. They must be somewhere out there!

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
It must be 4 years since that episode was shown on BBC4, it seems like yesterday.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Is it really that long ago!

VintageVideos
Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
It must be 4 years
Even 5 years.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Legsfan
I still can't believe it's been 40 years since Legs were first on TOTP! Even though Legs were finished for about 17 years and 3 months before I was born they are still getting fans like me all those years later! Looking at recent Legs photos they are still look like they did all those years ago which is amazing!

Re: Is it really that long ago!

PattiForPM
Ahhh the arrival of Legs & Co.  So many fine entertaining Dances to come.  Like Vin I do hope and trust that some of our missing 1976 segments appear again one day, including the 4 Ruby Shows, the announcement of the Legs & Co official name by DLT and the whole Frampton Dance

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Legsfan
Does any sort of DLT introduction exist like in a super private collection or is is lost and no known copy exists.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

VintageVideos
For all we know no copy exists.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Sorry Vin - just read this.  Are you talking about the editions that were aired in 1976 or the re-runs on BBC4?  I recorded a few from that year but ceased after Yew Tree as I intended to build my own catalogue.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

VintageVideos
Hi Dancer, both editions I mentioned were wiped by the BBC and thus never repeated. They're also not part of the PVL collection, so up until now they are MBW (missing believed wiped).

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Dancer
Many thanks Vin for your response.  I never knew they had been wiped which is bad really.  All the ones I recorded I have never documented or finalised.  I am sure there is some out there because I purchased videos from 1976 way back in the noughties when pirates were allowed.  I will try and dig out their details and email you under separate cover.  That is really surprising they never kept those shows.

It is late now but I am right in saying that it is the Queen of my Soul edition?

Re: Is it really that long ago!

VintageVideos
Thanks Dancer. The picture above is from the Queen of my Soul edition, which was repeated by BBC4. But the missing ones would be the editions with Spinning Rock Boogie and Do You Feel Like We Do. These are the only Legs & Co dances on TOTP that we do not have complete. Both survived on a private tape of one of the dancers, but only in short segments. The new name Legs & Co was revealed on the 11/11/76 show which featured Spinning Rock Boogie. The show was hosted by Dave Lee Travis.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Big shout out to 16 year old Elaine Coombes (of course 2 members of Legs & Co were also that age) who came up with the name that was revealed on the 11th November show. I have to say i thought it was an inspired choice and suited the group perfectly. Here is Elaine with Legs & Co (image stored in our impressive picture gallery).

Re: Is it really that long ago!

CoffeeThing
I feel oddly sad. I think because of the missing episodes or just because the repeats have passed beyond our favourite dancers. Time just flies.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Don't be to sad though CT. At least we have the marvel that is the internet to share our thoughts on that time and more importantly, be able to watch and enjoy the routines again, though its a real bind not having the naming moment in our armoury.

Re: Is it really that long ago!

Legsfan
I'm looking forward to the next 5 years because of Doc's 40th Anniversary dances I will be able to discover and watch every Legs routine from the beginning like its 1976.