JEANS ON

PattiForPM
   Jeans On is a song co-written by Lord David Dundas and Roger Greenaway (of I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing and Softly Whispering I l Love You fame).  It was originally used to advertise Brutus Jeans, which I remember being very tightly cut even as a skinny youth.  It reached #3 in the UK,  #17 in the US and #1 for a number of weeks in Germany, perhaps aided by a near-pornographic video to which one of our members benevolently drew our attention once or twice.  The song was also used by Fatboy Slim  for sampling purposes and was recorded once by Keith Urban as well as being used for a SEAT Ibiza advert later on.
   Lord David Dundas was born in Oxford in 1945 and is the younger son of the 3rd Marquess of Zetland (old English, or possibly Scottish - although now I suppose it amounts to the same thing - for Shetland).  He was educated at Harrow and went on to write jingles for Capital Radio, act in a bunch of B-list British TV Shows and write and co-write a number of Film and TV Scores.  He only had one other minor Hit after Jeans On with Another Funny Honeymoon (yes, not too promising a title I agree) which reached  #29.

                         JEANS ON  -  David Dundas                               Aug 5th 1976

                                           DANCERS:    Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

      LINK:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ae7p_ruby-flipper-jeans-on-totp-tx-05-08-1976_creation

   Well the Troupe looks good here in tight formation like some kind of ten-legged denimipede.   Lulu doesn’t get much of a look in and in fact the whole Troupe is only on our Screens for about 60secs (including the last 30secs in miniature) but I still think they make an impact and compliment the song well.  Patti is particularly prominent at the front of the line and her outfit never fails to turn me jelly-kneed so she definitely gets my DotD.  I particularly like the waking up moves they all do and I find this one quite enjoyable in its light-hearted way.  I will therefore award 8/10  and I ask for your attention to this penultimate Ruby Flipper Comments Thread effort friends…..

Re: JEANS ON

Andeebee
A kinda novelty hit, but enjoyable hit nonetheless.

Would of preferred more screen time for the Flippers (and mostly for the Flipperettes) such a shame that they are only seen briefly.  Albeit for the few precious stolen moments of screen time there are some cheeky moments.

Overall a nice song with Flipper slightly wasted as an opportunity.

Scores: 8/10

DOTD: will follow suit and award it for the 'cheeky' Patti

Re: JEANS ON

Suefan
More denim and less David would have been nice but a catchy number so I'm going with a 7, and while that red hat does stand out I'm also choosing Patti as the Dotd.

Re: JEANS ON

Nothing but the best for His Lordship and judging by those rolling fists when it's over it looks like it put a tiger in his tank. But it's us viewing masses rather than him who get THE rear treat-ment and no mistake. Flick sure had some good ideas when denim was called for! The mechanics' caps nod toward a motorbike filled up with petrol and the dancers' train is a long pillion. It's an easy number for summer and the moderate literal moves easily do the trick. The amount of Dundas-headed camerawork eating up the routine becomes very frustrating, however. I try to be grateful for what we get seeing as we were well-catered for this edition and this is an early bonus, but it's impossible not to rue what's lost when my fave is primed in prime position.

DOTD Patti.  7/10

Re: JEANS ON

The Ruby crowd do a good job in promoting this David Dundass single with a nice accompanying performance and also in promoting denim per se. Attractive females decked out in denim shorts/jean cut-offs/figure hugging dungarees etc always manages to register on my crumpet-o-meter. I mean, the sight of Patti, all fingers and thumbs struggling to keep her modesty whilst wearing her particular denim outfit is quite a sight to behold. Im sure our host on this thread will concur, but hes to polite to make such a deal of it !

DOTD-`Patti` (a simple choice)

Rating--This is one i could watch over and over again and not tire of it. Yes it would be nice to see more of the dancers, but im giving this `9.5 out 10`.

Re: JEANS ON

A very catchy tune but the dance routine doesn't amount to much.Although we see more of the Flippers than we did of the three Hot Gossip dancers in July,it's not enough.Having said that,it is enjoyable and i do like it.8/10
DotD:Patti

Re: JEANS ON

VintageVideos
OK song, not that much dancing but at least very nice outfits. The song was really played to death here in Germany, and up to this day I'm still quite fed up with it.
This would have been a good standalone routine, but we see much too little of RF to award more than

7 / 10

DotD: Patti

Re: JEANS ON

A dance routine reminiscent of Ruby Flipper mkII's version of Forever In Blue Jean's, as we take a retrospective look at this production from the definitive RF, (with apologies to Rosie), what with a co-ed, dance troupe performing, in very much a supporting role, wearing various items of blue denim ware.
There's not much room for manauvre n the stage, with David Dundas' piano taking up ample amounts of leg room, but I do rather like the bunching up of the dancers, with the synchronous movements.
I've watched worse stuff from this caretaker dancing group from the long hot summer of '76.

5/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: JEANS ON

PattiForPM
Thanks for your prompt replies lads.  There seems to be general agreement that Flick and her "Caretaker Troupe" (interesting terminology PBP) did good work with limited airtime here.   I also thought (in my own utterly unbiased way!) that there might be a possible clean sweep to be had here but it was not to be.  I do hope there are other opinions pending though

Re: JEANS ON

The Patti clean sweep in this was a no-brainer.

Dancer Of The Day never fails to surprise and amaze me.

Re: JEANS ON

Mikey
Patti's headwear reminds me of those stupid sun visors with the coloured plastic, what a load of cack they were

Re: JEANS ON

Colm
So much 1970s denim in evidence here... about all I can say, really. Apart from that I find the "tiger in my tank" move makes me grin.

DotD: Patti

Score: 6

Re: JEANS ON

Mikey
Not as appealing as all that Booty Shakin goin on elsewhere in the show, but still a pleasant side dish nonetheless. Could have done with a reappearance of denim hot pants Cherry a la 'Soul City Walk' but Lulu and Sue make up for that and i don't know what the heck Patti is wearing but i like it!

Really difficult one to score, decent song, yet we see more of David than Ruby Flipper and the dancing is basic, i'll give it 6.5/10. Patti for DOTD.

Re: JEANS ON

PattiForPM
Thanks again lads.  Jeans On joins the Charts in the lower 1/3 and I can't help feeling that with a little more camera time this would have scored much higher.  Maybe some as yet absent friends can find it in their hearts to comment further

Re: JEANS ON

Old Grey Whistler
A little less Dundas and a little more Flipper would have given this a higher rating than the 7 out of 10 that it is getting from me.
DOTD is awkward as we don't get a particularly good view of anyone. Phil looks a bit daft in that hat, so I will follow the majority and vote for Patti.

Re: JEANS ON

bucksby
I like the song but RF needed more screen time. so just a 6. Agree with Patti as DOTD

Re: JEANS ON

PansLegs
OK, relegated to backing mode again (seems to be a lot of that in the Ruby Flipper era) I'm finding this difficult to assess. We didn't really need the artist here... they could have given him the night off! Being at the end of the line nearest one of the cameras the only member we get a decent view of (or is that indecent!) is Patti near the start DotD. It's only a 4.5 for the overall result.

Re: JEANS ON

PattiForPM
It's decent all right PL but thanks again for adding your reviews on here

Re: JEANS ON

Doc
Nice enough backing dance, a bit too much David Dundas to give it a high score. 8/10.
Dotd: Not going for the no brainer as I think Sue looks the best in her outfit.

Re: JEANS ON

Old Bill
A denimipede! haha. I like that!

And I like this song, so nothing against Davie Dundee but I don't like to much of him and his giant wall of vanity mirrors. Man playing an electric piano when there's denimipede nearby does not make good viewing.

Lulu and Sue as the innards of the blue-jean-beast are invisible, all we get a look at is the far from unpleasant back-end of the creature.

Patti's bum aside, we still don't see a lot of dancing anyways. We're denied the denim! And Sue's purple boots / red hat combo. Such a waste.

6.5/10 and Patti for DotD.
Jeremiah 31:13
12