JEEPSTER -- 30/12/1971

Jeepster
Performed by T. Rex and reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 30/12/1971 Duration of dance - 2.35 mins
Dancers: Andy, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0cSIU_u0aE

The career of Marc Bolan & his mates has been thoroughly documented and I don't intend to bore you with well-known facts about how they started with folk music as Tyrannosaurus Rex and later became glam rock idols. Wikipedia mentions an interesting detail though, "after Chelita Secunda added two spots of glitter under Bolan's eyes before an appearance on Top of the Pops, the ensuing performance would often be viewed as the birth of glam rock."
Late in 1971, after the success of "Hot Love" and "Get It On", Bolan left his former record label Fly for EMI to found his own "T. Rex Wax Co." Fly in turn released the album track "Jeepster" as a single without Bolan's permission. It is claimed that this was the reason why Bolan did not promote "Jeepster", although T. Rex did perform to the track on the German "disco" show early in 1972. Bolan has admitted that he lifted the music and the rhythm "from a Howlin' Wolf song", and it's quite obvious that he was referring to the Willie Dixon composition "You'll Be Mine".

Now, what exactly is a "Jeepster"? Of course, you may say, it's this:

But there's more to it, much more in fact. Here are two quite interesting definitions of a "Jeepster" which I found in the Urban Dictionary:
1. What one is in response to a girl who slides so good with bones so fair she's got the universe reclining in her hair.
2. a charming average guy, who is willing to go anywhere for the object of his affection---namely, a "jaguar" (a "jaguar" is a super hot girl).
It may not come as a surprise that the first definition in particular meets with my approval.

This is not only my signature tune (pun intended!), but, as I have often stated in the past, it's also one of my favourite Pan's People routines altogether. This is the only occasion I can think of where Pan's People were dancing as part of the audience (excluding routines where the artist is also present), and although audience participation has often hampered routines from other troupes, here it doesn't mar my viewing pleasure at all. I think it's even fun to watch the audience (especially the girl at 2.10). Granted, the routine is very simple, with the same moves being constantly repeated, but somehow the moves and the music go so well together that I just can't get enough of it. All the girls are looking really hot (well I guess Dee Dee will get a mention in the comments), everyone is obviously having a good time, and on top of it this performance provides evidence that it wasn't Patti who invented the pouting!

Unfortunately we will never know what Ed Stewart said when he introduced the routine, as all the DJ links in the surviving copy are mute. This routine has even been shown on TOTP2, yet in an edited version without the original beginning (omitting the credits).

Without the shadow of a doubt, I'd love to be the "Jeepster" here:  10 / 10.

Dancer of the Day, although everyone is great, it just has to be Flick.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

PattiforPM
This is another of my favoured early performances and the colourful energetic Troupe do us proud.  I agree the Dance is simplistic but it fits the beat perfectly and is certainly not boring!  It's also good to see the audience and their fashions and bopping a bit.  The ladies look quite divine and it always strikes me with these early dances that in 1968-71 I could easily have been a Ruthfan.  On the other hand Louise is just gorgeous here and indeed my only criticism is that we don't seem to focus enough on the lady in green.  This and the credits rolling (not their fault I know but for me it detracts a bit) mean I can only give 9/10  but this is definitely fun to watch and it's good to finally find out where those bones so fair are from. Oh I see I haven't mentioned DotD so I'll give it to Dee Dee  who seems to be giving her all here, even at the expense of her trouser waist level (someone had to say it!)

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

PaulF
Great to see Flick in front of the camera and in colour. I always thought she went behind the scenes from 1969/70. The routine is very repetitive but I love it 9/10 (shame about the end credits)

DOTD  The lovely colourful Flick.
Paul

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

I take it that this routine was something extra for that edition of TOTPs, what seems to amount to one of those bonus routines, with Pan's People dancing with the audience, while dressed casually, & they had a proper routine earlier in the programme?

Thankfully PP do get the lion's share of the camera shots, & all of them are looking like they're enjoying themselves.

7/10

DotD:-

Flick

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Colm
I'm going for the lovely Babs here, as she's always smiling and looking like she's enjoying herself (as does Dee Dee).

DotD: 8

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Really enjoyable and such a sexy dance. Id say Pans were right at the top of their game during 1971 going into 72 and all six look bang tidy hot. How id love to see my favourites Legs & Co dance like this !

Dancer of the day, well Andrea was very noticeable, but its `Flick` whos really getting into the groove and she wins it easily for me.

Rating, well its a top song, love the repetitive nature of the dance, like the outfits especially Flick's, like the way the mere mortals are allowed to dance near the goddess's. Again not quite a max, but `9.5 out of 10`.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

JEZ
yes even though the dance is simple and looks as though it is meant as just a fill in dance for the show ,there is just something about it that i never get tired of ,ive often wondered when the girls do the bit where they raise their arm and finger ,if andrea was told to wiggle hers ,or she just decided to add that little movement in herself ,because it seems strange that none of the others do that little hand wriggle ,to be honest i think that arm movement of andis worked better than the other,anyway lovely bright costumes ,just a pity dee dee's tights are on show but the routine gets a 9 from me

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

This is quite simple routine for the ladies, to a good song by T-Rex. The ladies are dancing with the audiences and movement are repeated all the way through song. We now come Dotd and for my reconning it should go to the smiling Flick Coby.

The score as to be 9 out of 10

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

BeautifulBabs
Likes
The term Jeepster as defined by Vv
song
rare dance with the audience
costumes other than flicks
Andi is there
Not wiped
its the girls
60s/70s transitional style

Dislikes

Surely just a fill in which Flick must have knocked up quickly - concerto d'aranjuez and some others 3had 2+ days of rehearsal but this is basic and makes till you come back to me look complex
girls in pairs with no interaction between pairs.
girls rooted to spot
audience look as though they could join in as the choreography is simple - the girls should stand out more
flick's orange slacks
there are far better but I do understand more why others rate this
I dont watch this much

6.5 and Babs dotd - not one for the BB desert island.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

mojo2007
I'm with Ryan on this. Its very simple but that fine. Flick's smile is lovely as she battles with Dee Dee  for hottie , and wins.  She is my DOTD and the whole effort 9.5.
mojo

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Andeebee
I'd give this 8/10, great song, the Pans girls look hot and on top of their game, hard decision for DOTD, but Ruth pips it with her slight snarling looks and hard thrusts (missus) round bout 30 seconds in. lovely

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Suefan
I like the song and I like the look, but, rather boxed in by the audience as it is, there just isn't enough to this dance for it to warrant more than a 7, and that is for those lovely smiles and close fitting slacks.  As for the Dotd I'm torn between Andi and Flick but will stay true to form and choose Andi.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze
Well it's not much of a routine is it, so why do we like it? I'd say it's because it bottles a fondly regarded era. The distinctive sound of the defining pop star, the fashion, even the pesky credits. The smiling faces and the removal of the barrier between dancers and audience play a large part in conveying the semi-mythical fun that characterized the decade. Funny how though we're always being reminded of the industrial strife, power cuts, three day week, urban decay...that everyone loves the seventies, whether they were there or not.

To use an anachronism and a term I don't like - but I can't think of a better one - the look is 'yummy mummy'. It was the night before New Year's Eve and it's like a house-party where the sexiest ladies are showing the kids how it's done. Not like that, like this. C'mon, anyone can learn it.

DOTD Flick.   8/10

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Paperboyplod wrote
I take it that this routine was something extra for that edition of TOTPs, what seems to amount to one of those bonus routines, with Pan's People dancing with the audience, while dressed casually, & they had a proper routine earlier in the programme?
Not really. The other routine in that programme was 'Stoney End' when they danced on the HMS Triumph to a song that had peaked 9 months earlier. Very odd indeed.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

BeautifulBabs
Yes with that and the interviews an extremely unusual pans totp.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

A fairly simple dance for the playout but still quite watchable 8/10.
Dotd: I agree with P4PM Louise looks great but doesn't get enough camera time. So I'm going to pick Dee Dee, who does.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Lookmacinanger
Rip roaring track from our favourite boy with corkscrew hair, Pans People look great but maybe spread a bit too far apart across the stage, they also blend too easily with the audience so occasionally lose sight of them. The routine although neat and tidy and is a tad repetitive but this is a just a minor gripe. 8/10 Dotd, Flick

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

bucksby
I woud agree with a lot of what Beautifulbabs says. It is great that it exists and in colour although the dance is rather too simplistic to give it any high marks (I realise it was a bonus at the end of the show) that said the ladies look fab Flick in particular looks wonderful and it is even more sad most of her stuff does not exist. Good to see close up on Andi too a dancer I haven't noticed much. It is strange how square the audience are compare to just 1 year ago, if anyone has seen that 15-10-70 show they will know what I mean.  Overall DOTD Babs and the routine 7.

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
A simple & repetitive but fun & irresistible song, that just begs you join in is accompanied here by a simple & repetitive but fun & irresistible dance, that just begs you join in. (You'd think of typing that word so many times on this forum by now, I'd have learned how to spell 'irresistible'!)

The girls are having a blast. With all the hard work done for the day, and with such a simple dance - especially for such accomplished dancers - they could really let their hair down and not to worry too much, and it shows.
I wish I could lip-read Dee Dee's banter to Flick! I think I can just make out "They'll still be loving this one 42 years from now!"

And all the colours... thank goodness indeed we have this in colour. I love all the colours - what a dull drab lot we are these days!
The audience are enjoying it too - perhaps square compared to earlier years, but then again compare it to the much duller Legs audiences of later years (Sir Duke etc.), which I'm reliably informed they were never told to stand still so as not to be a distraction. They were boring completely by their own volition.

But just look at Flick and Dee Dee...

How can you not be swept up in the fun they're having??

Not the most complex or challenging of dances, but definitely one of the most enjoyable.

10/10
 and Dee Dee for DotD

ps. I like Johnnie Stewart's credit silhouette too (other than it blocking out the girls). Was that in all the end credits back then?
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: JEEPSTER -- 1971

Mikey
If there is one Pans routine that really captures this particular time frame for me its this one. The dance looks like it was created in the dressing room before the show yet it works brilliantly, and all the ladies are having fun with it. The audience participation is also a key ingredient here, they are part of the routine not just wooden background spectators but don't interfere so as to cause any mishaps. Its also very colourful too, i wasnt aware until fairly recently of the assigned colour system sometimes used (e.g Babs in blue) but that is a lovely touch, and something worthy of a mention.

So far this is also my favourite T-rex song as well, some deeply strange lyrics maybe but i never thought glam rock could be this funky.

9/10 DOTD Flick and Dee Dee take centre stage to tustle for this one, but my choice is Flick.