JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 08/11/1973

Johnny B. Goode
Performed by James Burton
Original broadcast date 08/11/1973 Duration of dance - 2.10 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGvM5pL5xV4

This week's feature is the penultimate routine from the "Two Ronnies". Aired on the fourth episode of the third season, "Johnny B. Goode" was used to spice up the comedy show of Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. As usual, Pan's People did not dance to any of the contemporary hits, but this time at least a rather well-known number was chosen.

"Johnny B. Goode" was written and recorded in 1958 by Chuck Berry. Berry has said that the song about a poor country boy who plays a guitar "just like ringing a bell," and who might one day have his "name in lights", is partly autobiographical. Well, of course, we all know that the song was originally performed by Marty McFly and the Starlighters at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance on November 12, 1955, before Chuck Berry even heard of it! Wikipedia lists more than 100 artists who covered the song, among them Jimi Hendrik, The Beach Boys, AC/DC, The Sex Pistols and Elton John.

One artist that isn't mentioned in the list is James Burton, an American guitarist and member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 2001. Known as the "Master of the Telecaster", Burton has played since the early 50's with his first claim to fame being the guitar solo on Dale Hawkins 1957 hit song "Susie Q". Later work with Elvis Presley and John Denver further shaped his career.

"Johnny B. Goode" is a recording from his eponymous 1971 album (also known as "The Guitar Sounds Of James Burton "). Burton presents the track in a purely instrumental version as a fast-paced hot number featuring not only a rocking guitar but also a mouth organ, unfortunately faded out a bit early here.

Now, if you look at the dance floor, you will no doubt recognize the Pan's People logo which is still in use today. I really wonder if this was the first time the logo was employed for a routine (answers on a postcard please!). The logo can also be found (not as a whole but a part of it) on the backs of the cropped tops that Pan's People are wearing, colour-coordinated with their shorts and socks. Although it seems some of the tops are more cropped than others!

"Johnny B.Goode" is a very energetic routine so I can understand why it has to end after barely 2 minutes. In theory, the dancing has everything to make a Pan's People fan happy: the synchronous arm moves, the little gestures, the bright smiles, you name it! My problem with this dance is basically the same as with a couple of other "Two Ronnies" performances - I just can't seem to warm up to the music. Surely it's technically superb but it leaves me stone-cold.

All in all I like this routine, but not enough for it to become one of my favourites:

8 / 10

DotD: Dee Dee

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

Paperboyplod
I can just see Mchael J. Fox, as Martin McFly in the Back To The Future movie trilogy, attempting similar dance moves, whilest playing his electric guitar, in all sorts of wierd, & wonderful ways.
The same superlatives can be attributed to Pan's People here, there's quite frankly some very frantic kicking, & arm waving, & Dee Dee, especially seems to revel in the borderline psychotic pace of this dance routine, & it's always great to see the dancers in their regular allocated costume colours.

9/10

DotD:-

Dee Dee

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

PaulF
This ticks a lot of boxes for me. A nice fast unhindered routine with all the girls looking great. (especially the raunchy one). A 9/10 from me.

DOTD RRRRuth.
Paul

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

So fast it seems to be over in the blink of an eye, this is a very frantic, breathless but happy Dance which certainly delivers the goods.  I love the colourful brief outfits and the girls shaking their thang but like our host I really can't warm to this version of the classic song.  I really like the moves and the exuberance though and the wave goodbye exit is very good too.  May I also say, as a sock fan, the little items are well chosen here IMO.  For me two Dancers vie for DotD and it's Miss Orange and Madmoiselle Pink but in the end Cherry's smiles and form just win out over the super ebullient Dee Dee in what must be a photo finish.  9/10  please

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

PansLegs
An upbeat routine from The Two Ronnies series, the fastest of the seven performances and dare I say possibly a little too fast for one of our girls. Visually it's a treat, as there is a kaleidoscope of colour in the satin outfits that contrast brilliantly against black backdrop and the jackets plus hot pants design ensure there's plenty of leg on display (as well as some midriff).

Lots of great moves, some good looks to camera and even a wave goodbye at the end. Nearly all the troupe seem to be enjoying themselves too, so there is a breathless energy produced with this performance. Dee Dee seems to be in full swing here so my DotD. 8/10

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

mojo2007
I am  glad the great James Burton got a mention. Always one of my favourites I do accept it is a little frantic so drop it to 9.5.  DOTD , Dee Dee  is enjoying herself so much.

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

Suefan
Energetic and full of fun this has a lot going for it, what with the upbeat tempo and those colourful outfits.  At times it seems a little raw and underdone, while the taller the dancer the greater the centrifugal force to control in tight circs, but this is well worthy of an 8.5 with Cherry just pipping Dee Dee as my choice for the Dotd.

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

I wonder what became of the coloured jackets with the logo on the back. Are they still in existence, maybe one or two are carefully stored by the ladies along with other artifacts from back then. Didn't we once do a `Virtual Museum` thread, those jackets would or should have been it that.

The routine in question i find a bit fair to middling. The dancers look like they are enjoying this fun routine, but i'm not so keen on the 50s nature of the song.

DOTD-`Dee Dee` stands out for me.

Rating--`7.5 out of 10`

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
A fast, punchy, colourful and fun couple of minutes. And this time on The Two Ronnies I don't miss the vocals because they're usually barked out of the throat on this song. The track is the kind of thing you expect with a speeded-up skit on The Goodies - and the dance isn't much less frenetic! The hectic pace and party-like spirit suit the self-confessed mad one: DOTD Dee Dee. The glam sportswear is appealing, they've nailed the music, I'm going  8.75/10

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

VintageVideos
Thanks for all the comments so far. It seems this is a fairly popular routine with solid and rather steady ratings.

Now the next commentator would lift this performance above the all important threshold to make it eligible for inclusion in our ratings table and at the same time ensure a new featured routine for next Monday

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

Andeebee
One of the best from the Two Ronnies Show, I like it, fast paced, and sexy throughout.

Scores 9/10

DOTD: Ruth

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

Mikey
It’s easy to see why Pans People were so in demand on other light entertainment shows at this point, this is a rip roaring 2 minutes of high energy with a touch of sassiness, good humour and a fine musical accompaniment. To be honest after it gets going I never even notice a lack of vocal and it does not really matter. Nice outfits of course, the dancer colours are present and correct even down to those cute matching socks another plus point. Given the high speed of the dancing, it’s not the most technically accomplished piece but I do think overall this is highly enjoyable and give it an 8.5/10. DOTD Cherry.

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

Old Grey Whistler
One of the quickest tempo Pans dances, the music and the pace of the dance put me in mind of Spinning Rock Boogie which Legs would go on to dance to a few years later.
The quicker the dance the greater the likelihood of a loss of precision, but I think Pans manage this one quite well and maybe benefitted from the longer rehearsal time that they probably had, compared to when they did a TOTP routine.
I will score it an 8 out of 10.
 Maybe it is just because they are wearing the most vibrant colours, but Cherry and Dee Dee seem to stand out the most, and it is the lady in pink , Dee Dee who gets my vote.

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

bucksby
fast and fun. DOTD Dee Dee, routine 7

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 1973

Doc
The Two Ronnies routines, whilst having more time for preparation, don't seem to have the appeal of some of the TOTP ones and this is another one of those. Nice outfits but the dance doesn't really grab me. An OK 8/10.
Dotd: Louise.

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 08/11/1973

Colourful,fast and fun but not a favourite.The frenetic nature of the routine reminds me of Legs' 'Spinnin' Rock Boogie'.However,whereas Legs were brilliant Pan's just look like they're rushing around with nowhere to go.4/10
DotD:Dee Dee

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 08/11/1973

BeautifulBabs
Likes
Fast dance
Just about everything
Pans logo on the floor
Costumes
Bottom wiggling
Cherry absolutely mesmerising
Hot pants
fun

Not so good:

It's over too quickly
Colour faux pas Prefer deedee in red and cherry in purple
Maybe a bit too much running around
Usual constraint that instrumental only track as often the case for
a non totp routine

9 and cherry dotd by a mile

Re: JOHNNY B. GOODE -- 08/11/1973

Dancer
This is a very energetic routine and the outfits are just beautiful.  What really comes to the front is the fact that the girls are enjoying themselves so much which is a plus.  I will award this dance ten out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Ruth because she looked so lovely in her yellow attire.