JOY TO THE WORLD -- 17/06/1971

Now then, here's one for the lads:

Joy To The World
Performed by Three Dog Night and reaching number 24 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 17/06/1971 Duration of dance - 3.15 mins
Dancers: Andi, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGYMutxv9I

A "Three Dog Night" is a freezing cold night when indigenous Australians need three dogs to keep them warm. Or so we’re told. You won’t need to freeze with this Pan’s People routine though, because if anything it’s smokin' hot.
Three Dog Night’s biggest hit was of course the Randy Newman cover "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)" and while we’re still not quite sure if Pan’s People ever danced to that record, what we definitely have is this routine to the follow-up single, the Hoyt Axton penned "Joy To The World". Granted, the lyrics are debatable ("Jeremiah was a bullfrog"?), and the routine is one of the most literal of those that survived, culminating in swimming moves for the "fishes in the deep blue sea" (and what is that move during the line "make sweet love to you"?).
But, as I said before, this routine is hot! The girls just look sensational in their dresses, and the dance is not a simple one. We get a lot of different moves and the ladies keep changing places. And unlike last week’s choice, we’re treated with the full song this time. The joy is all mine!
My rating for this dance is 9.5/10, and as Dancer of the Day, I’ve picked the gorgeous Andi (even if she seems to lose it a bit around 1:03).

It's definitely "One for the lads!"

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

Andeebee
Nice routine, not a fav or mine, but still rated highly at a respectable 8.5, hard choice of lady for this, they all look amazing in those rather tight and eye distracting trousers.

But I think Louise looks divine in this (it was hard)

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

Andeebee
the most literal I think Vin is 'You're So Vain'

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

VintageVideos
"You're So Vain" is like a short movie for me, not so much a literal routine, but that's my opinion.

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

A nice little routine and catchy song ,the original six girls perform well ,the only downside for me with most of the early pans routines that i have viewed is ,the girls dont really do much individually ,most of the routines ,everyone does the same kind of thing ,in a type of go go style ,i much prefer the dances that pans did after 1972 ,i mean there is a lot of routines that are missing ,and amongst those routines ,there could have been some excellent ones ,but i remember ruth once saying that your so vain was the first time that flick turned to acting out routines with literall choreography ,and they are the routines that i tend to favour most ,nevertheless ,i cant find any other fault with this dance but because of what ive said i will give it a 7.5 ,if you watch the totp promo for this song that was shown a few weeks later ,some of flicks choreography from this routine was coppied by the totp promo maker ,as it shows a group of people danccing around holding hands in a circle ,just as pans had done previously

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

I like Flick's choreography in "Joy to the World"; with everyone involved, it gives an air of celebration and unity - and I enjoy the "counting off" and "fishes in the deep blue sea" actions.

My score: 8.5

My dancer of the day: Flick - she's in stunning form here.

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

PattiforPM
Old grump is back.  This performance is not my favorite for a number of reasons.  First the song, which I do not like at all as it reminds me of some kind of boy scouts campfire ditty.  Second the colours are a bit bland and the girls' hair doesn't work for me in this one (very unusual for this lovely group I venture as hair is usually a highlight).  Lastly some of the moves are a bit too simplistic and seem contrived whereas some of the other literal routines seem much more natural.  On the plus side I do like the togetherness others have cited and it's nice and long!  Also at those moments when the song gets going the ladies really do seem to get into it with gusto.  I can only give 5.5/10 sorry and for DotD I like Dee Dee in this one.  Oh and BTW excellent intro by Jimmy

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

VintageVideos
What's wrong with their hair, grumpy?

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

PattiforPM
Just that for too long I can't see the lovely Ruth and Louise's exquisite facial features at all.  Nothing wrong with some subtle  concealment but the English Sheepdog look is too much (sorry ladies!)

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

A joy to watch, this routine, I liked the eclectic mix of different dance moves, such as the arm movements to demonstrate swimming to fit n with the lyrics of the song playing. The set was another of those Blue Peter studio types, I think that many PP routines had that type of scenery.
The costumes were kinda wierd, don't ya think!, they looked like they were being set upon by giant spiders from tropical climes. Flick demonstrating just why she had to do all f the choreography.

9/10

DotD:-

Flick

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

BeautifulBabs
My idea of a great surviving Pans routine which you could show to someone to explain what early Pans were like.

Likes,
One for the dads intro
Costumes
Stage floor painting  and backdrops with the geometric shapes
Good length
Choreography - packed with lovely Pans trademark moves- the ring and andi and louise going under the arch etc
Saved us from having to watch a painful performance like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFypAB7nYGA
from guys who looked like this on purpose

Dislikes,

Deep blue sea sort of periscope, snorkel dance action -over literal to the extreme flick.
Song but that's not their fault.

Dancer of the day - Andrea by a long way- simply gorgeous at about 1.15 and technically excellent throughout- such a busy looking dancer- though her roots were showing a bit. Sorry Babs you did ok but your hair got a bit dishevelled and a couple of timing issues. Your time will come.

10 from me- complete joy.

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

VintageVideos
Amen brother!

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

  Well it dosent come more classic Pans than this, with all the maneuvering across the very long staged area, a trait that Legs & Co never used. Why no studio audience, was this a rehearsal ? Flick seemed to go astray at the start.
   I have to confess that watching this early Pans stuff dosent mean a great deal to me, these are just throw away dances in my mind. Yes that may sound like blasphemous talk, but the Pans i remember from way back when was from 74 onwards. I just don't have any emotional feelings towards this set of 6 dancers like i do to Legs & Co or even Flipper, i have to be honest about that. I find this song tedious, rather child like to some degree, and if i never hear the thing again it will suit me. The dance moves are well thought out, the costumes are so early 70s. Maybe thats my problem here, im just not digging the scene man !
   I do like some early Pans and find some routines quite sexy, but not this one. Its only a 4 out of 10 from me. Dancer of the day, bit hard to chose, beings Andi gets less outings than the others, i will give it to her.

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

PattiforPM
In Canada we call this "Two Solitudes"

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

BeautifulBabs
VV I think you have spoilt us with the 1st 3 routines here and we are due a real dud like I only have eyes soon.

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

This wasn't a rehearsal. You can see and hear Julie Felix counting in at the end of this routine. It may have been prerecorded though.
Now, this is a first on the PP comments section, a routine is getting ratings between 4 and 10!

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

Suefan
Flick does a good job with this busy interpretation of a poor song.  The routine is interesting, the costumes are fine, although I could have lived without all the black fringing, but somehow it never really grabs me.  A 7 with Andi as my D of the D.

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

What, the first Pans's People routine since the departure of Babs, by any chance?

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

BeautifulBabs
absolutely no bias at all pbp

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD -- 1971

   Can i just apologize for my somewhat churlish assessment of this dance last evening. Best put my grumpiness over classic Pans, and this particular dance down to the fact i came away with a bloody nose over the Dad/Lad-gate situation. Although this dance is certainly very low down on my play list, mainly due to the hippy style song, i can see how to a fan of Pans this would be viewed with great affection.
   Ive just refreshed my memory on a lot of the surviving classic stuff, and there's some fine dances to come which i will score quite heavily. But i cant hide the fact i dont feel the same enthusiasm with classic Pans than the later troupes. But im prepared to throw them some slack, for future dances, but this stays at just 4.