JUNGLE ROCK -- 01/04/1976

Jungle Rock
Performed by Hank Mizell and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 01/04/1976 Duration of dance - 2.43 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Lee, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOctBA7MHw

Goodbye Lee!

American Hank Mizell (1923-1992) recorded "Jungle Rock" back in 1958, but neither its original release nor its rerelease one year later proved successful. After a couple of other singles, all without any impact on the charts, Hank gave up music. But somehow the song came to the attention of Charly Records who would issue "Jungle Rock" for a third time in early 1976. Surprisingly, 52-year-old Mizell finally made the charts. Yet it seemed he wasn't quite ready for success. Or as Tony Blackburn put it on TOTP 01/04/1976: "We'd love to have him on the show, trouble is, nobody can find him." So, both times when "Jungle Rock" was originally played on TOTP, Pan's People stood in for a literally untraceable artist.

Some time later, Hank was tracked down in Tennessee, and famously appeared on TOTP 27/05/1976 right before "TVC 15", promoting his new single "Kangaroo Rock" (which incidentally sank without a trace). Hank also performed "Jungle Rock" on episode 28 of Musikladen, aired 18/09/1976.

For their appearance, Pan's People went "deep into the heart of the jungle". Armed with bogus rifles the girls went hunting for wild (not really) elephants, apes and other creatures - not all of them necessarily jungle denizens - amidst big trees (well rather) and lots of bushes. This is clearly a fun routine on the edge of silliness. Depending on your personal sense of humour you might find it either funny or just daft. Well, our members do have a lot of humour obviously, as the Pan's People version was voted more popular than the Legs version from the Xmas edition:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Jungle-Rock-VOTE-HERE-tp4004043.html

"Jungle Rock" was also Lee's farewell dance and thus the last time Pan's People would perform as a quintet (I abstained from using the term "fivesome" after checking the Urban Dictionary), even though this routine would be repeated three weeks later. With just over six months of service, Lee's membership in Pan's People was the shortest-lived ever.

As I still find myself firmly in the humour (not in the silliness) camp, I quite like this performance. Taking into account the notoriously small budget of TOTP, I think the routine works rather well with everyone having fun and enjoying the dance. It can definitely put a smile on my face!

8.5 / 10

DotD: Cherry (not least for her rhythmic wiggle)

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

PansLegs
I suppose there is not much else that could have been done performance wise with this throwback single from Hank Mizell, with its completely transparent 1950s origins. Obviously played for laughs as it were, Pans find themselves deep in the heart of... green strips of cloth and some potted shrubs.

The girls make the best of it in their hunting attire and then in various animal costumes (still haven't worked out who is who inside them!) but I am finding that the result as whole doesn't push any buttons, leaving a general feeling of disappointment. I think it has more to do with the soundtrack and the limited scope for visual creativity. I wish the production team could have found Hank and then Pan's People may have been handed something far better to dance to.

Despite the simplicity of the Legs & Co version and the encumbrance of an ever present Tony Blackburn, I'd say that is easily on a par with this performance from the same year. Mary seems to stand out from the crowd in this so is my DotD, 5/10

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

It's a great dance routine for Lee to have as her swan song, The dancers & the animals are obviously filmed separately, & not mixed into the film alongside the dancers, as we don't ever see them together.
Mary looks like she really wants to use her hunting weapon, & at one point it looks like she's gunning for the camera operator.
I'm just glad that no real animals were harmed during this performance.

8/10

DotD a:-

Mary

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Colm
Good fun, not too cliched, and where will I see that camel again?

DotD: For her last dance, sadly, Lee, puts in a great effort, and gives nice smiles

Score: 8

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

There probably isn't a great deal more dance wise that could have been done with this number in this setting.  I enjoy the little touches such as the stalking and some of the animal antics....... on this occasion though I don't think Sue is the front of the camel...... while clearly effort has gone into the various costumes and props.  Mary also catches my eye for Dotd while overall I'll give this a 6.5.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

I like the Janes on a Hunting Party theme here and the Pans ladies do great work hamming it up with their muffled muskets.  The animal costumes and set could be slightly more realistic perhaps but even they add to the humour as it all bops along merrily.  I really like the dancers' various facial expressions in this performance and in this respect Cherry once again takes my biscuit and earns DotD.  I find myself musing that Cherry was the Fox and wondering who got the Hippo gig.  The emotional vote should go to Lee but I find her rather quiet here and I feel the other ladies are more deserving in the acting department.  I am marking this performance 7.5/10  and think perhaps the word jolly best describes it.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Yes i do think i prefer this to the Legs version as this is much more of a set routine. The Legs version was just a Xmas mess about and i reckon Flick just couldn't be to bothered with it. I cant say this has to many stand out moments in all the khakiness, but `Cherry's` bumwiggle secures her my DOTD nomination.

Just a `5.5 out of 10` from me.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Gorgeous Daze
A bit disoriented here. Some of that jungle appears to be in front of me in pots in my living room.

So, Pan's take a break from the white woman's burden for a spot of sport with a utopian range of animals. I think this must be one of the most remembered of all TOTP routines. It's mounting anthropomorphic cast blasts the Duck aside as the Number 1 for the kids, and  it got that key repeat. Flick and the costume department have really gone to town with the entirety of Hank's ark, and it's comfortably superior to Legs' runaround. The take-aim-and-hide intro works very well with the deceptively foreboding tribal drums. The girls wield those big weapons in a well-practised way that makes them look not too much of an encumbrance. Cherry enjoys two of the best moments with her tough-girl facade giving way and the bum-wiggle, but really this is all unremitting fun and a good knees-up and time-for-Lee's-up. (I want shooting for that). In fact it's only the outfits I don't like, and I'm not meant to! As I think it totally works I'm going against the miserly scores with a Mizelly 10/10

Ruth tangles with the vines but emerges with gusto and it's the seasoned huntress who gets my DOTD.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

PattiForPM
This one seems to divide the site very neatly into animal-lovers or not and those partial to the bum wiggle or not

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Andeebee
bum wiggle ahoy in the deep heart of some mock jungle set deep in the heart of London.

Not a top song, but played 'Carry on' style for the laughs including the moth eating costumes.  That's bout it.

5/10

DOTD: bum wiggling Cheryl

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Mikey
What a strange record this is, frankly its nonsense, but in a good way. A combination of tribal drums, rock n roll sensibility and lyrics depicting dancing animals, i'm not sure what old Hank was smoking, but it sure fired off Flicks imagination into creating this weird and wonderful performance. The use of the 'jungle stalking' and crouching movements turned into dance steps is inspired. The gun toting intreped explorer outfits may not be the most appealing but they do the job. Whilst the routine is great throughout following the tale of the song, my only gripe is the bargain bin animal outfits are a bit naff, especially as the rest of the set is pretty good.

All of the dancers perform well here, the highlight is probably Cherry (nice wiggle) and Ruth teaming up to discover the dancing animals, but i'll go for Mary for DOTD as she makes me laugh.

Not perfect but highly entertaining, i'll give it 8.5/10

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Mikey
Just read through the Jungle Rock poll thread, interesting stuff, I think Ryan said it was still open, i'll vote for Pans then!

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Yes i do think i prefer this to the Legs version as this is much more of a set routine. The Legs version was just a Xmas mess about and i reckon Flick just couldn't be to bothered with it. I cant say this has to many stand out moments in all the khakiness, but `Cherry's` bumwiggle secures her my DOTD nomination.

Just a `5.5 out of 10` from me.
with my flame suit on why is your mark less than for the legs version....?

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Dunno, i just plucked a figure out of the air.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Gorgeous Daze
With the amount of ratings many of us have accumulated there are bound to be anomalies. I've noticed a few of my own but I think I'll keep quiet on them.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
ok I should shut up and do my own rating after all.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

Gorgeous Daze
Which with the utmost confidence I predict will be between Ryan's and mine.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

VintageVideos
Well it kinda goes to show what was always my point of view, all these ratings and tables should not be taken too seriously. They are a snapshot in time, not carved in stone.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

I agree, they shouldn't be taken to seriously, but if Twenty different sets of blokes (and the odd female) all give score ratings to a routine, then i think we can safely assume that this is the most accurate method on Planet Earth on how define what is a brilliant, good, average or poor routine by Pans, Ruby or Legs.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK -- 1976

I  take my ratings very seriously.