JUNGLE ROCK -- [December]

JUNGLE ROCK TOTPs dance number 13 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Hank Mizell and reaching No 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  25/12/76 Duration of dance 2.35 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25kgca_legs-co-jungle-rock-version-2-totp-tx-25-12-1976_creation

A fun filled dance which the girls seemed to enjoy, even if it descended into organized chaos. I always look closely for Patti talking that ape creature through a move, and Gill giving another unidentified primate a gentle shove out of the way. How awkward did `Toe-Knee` look standing in the cooking pot, not one cheesy grin all the way through the number. I think on reflection i do prefer the Pans dance earlier in the year to this, but this version isn't to bad and i do enjoy seeing the girls have a ball with it. On my watchable ratings i will give this one 6 out of 10.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Lookmacinanger
I really enjoy this routine, old Hank Mizell song is ideal to have some fun with. The girls look great in their jungle costumes and I love the way the tribal war dance evolves into an free for all. I personally would have added some boiling water into 'sensational Tony' cooking pot if he couldn't crack a smile from his ringside seat! 8/10.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

I wish that I could get a ride in a Delorian, & go back to Christmas Day '76, I'd gladly take the place of Tony Blackburn standing in that cauldren, he doesn't know how privelidged he is, he seems to have a look that asks 'what's goin' on?'.
But this is a fantastic routine, I think it just about beats Pan's People's version earlier in the year by a nose.
The girls are obviously really enjoying themselves, & really getting in to the festive spirit, unlike Tony Blackburn or so it seems.
I especially loves seeing the girls dancing with the animals!

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

PattiforPM
Yep this one is good fun.  I'm not surprised Tony got left in the pot as totally inedible fare.  Good boppin by the Troupe and animals but I would have liked a few more close-ups of the ladies and a few less of God's other creatures.  I do prefer the old fashioned jungle epic feel of the slightly inept huntresses Pans People myself but Legs & Co make this one good too.  7/10

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Suefan
Somewhat chaotic but great fun, other than for the first course.  A very different, but just as successful, treatment from the one earlier in the year.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

I wonder who got the gig in this one to play the animals ? Would it be BBC crew members or selected audience members. Maybe even Flick herself was decked out in Gorilla costume !

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Paperboyplod
Maybe Floid was involved with this routine as well!

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Now that wouldnt surprise me knowing him !

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

PattiforPM
My bet would be Lulu's "Bear" at the 2:00 mark for the best Floid chance

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Question for Sue if she reads this !

On the earlier Pans People dance version of this song, the dancers were never filmed with the animals in the same shot, are we to assume then that the girls were inside the animal costumes and those shots were edited on later ?  If so, can you remember what animal suit you were in ?

http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/pans-people-jungle-rock.html

RYAN
Stu

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Stu
I voted pans in the recent jungle rock dance off but I do like this routine, I always enjoy watching them have fun, and seeing Tony being boiled in a pot and looking all uncomfortable is always going to be worth an extra point!  :-)

7.5/10

Stuey

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Old Bill
Firstly - let's get it out of the way - I prefer the PP one too. But to be honest it's like comparing chocolate ice cream to strawberry ice cream - even the 2nd choise is pretty tasty!

I really like it. The chaos towards the end is great fun - I wonder how well rehearsed it was - was Flick holding her head in her hands sobbing "it's gone wrong!!! those stupid animals have ruined it!"

And there's so much to spot - you need a good 1/2 dozens viewings to take it all in. At one point Pauline looks very settled with a large grey thing (a rhino in a tutu!?) and Lulu has to give her a nudge to do the hand-to-hand thing. And then what does Lulu say when she passes the leopard? I'm sure it's "I love you Old Bill!" hehe. And it looks like Gill is directing everyone to move in towards the cauldron and then back out again towards the end. And Patti giving a wonderfully bored looking TB a little taste right at the end to see if he's ready.

Great fun, and some super dancing in there too. 7.5 / 10 for now - i'll stick another 0.5 on if we ever find out who was in the animal costumes!

ps. the embedded version didn't work for me... just blackness.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Andeebee
MMMM, I am comparing these soon on the channel, still torn over it, but give it a 7.......

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

VintageVideos
Nice second try with some jungle party atmosphere and Tony Blackburn in the boiler (hmm maybe he should have stayed there).
Unfortunately this doesn't work very well for me.  7/10

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Doc
A very simple dance that ends up a bit like a late night party. Fun but only a 7.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

PaulF
Prefer watching the girls without distractions but this was just a bit of fun routine and it looked like they all enjoyed it. Loved Lulu chatting as she went round. I will give it a 7 because I share my birthday with Mr Blackburn.
Paul

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Who's That Hurll
A bright and colourful alternative to Pan's more polished version. The foliage flies as various creatures and dancers try to work out who should be rocking with who and it's all very crowded in this jungle enclave. The legs girls think Tony is a real dish, so they've put him in the pot for din dins. I do think it was mean of the BBC not to allow Blackers to munch on a few carrots while he was awaiting his fate. DOTD Gill for her confused but happy smile at 0.48.          8.5/10

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Old Grey Whistler
This was all good fun for Christmas Day.  I don't think it would have worked as well had it been on a regular show rather than the Christmas special.  I would have liked to have seen a little more of the girls rather than the animals, and the routine does get a bit chaotic at times although I guess that was the plan. I will give this one 7.5 out of 10.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Suefan
I like this rather chaotic cooking pot casserole so will, rather belatedly, give it an 8.

Re: JUNGLE ROCK

Colm
I think I prefer the Pan's routine too; it's less cluttered than this - and doesn't feature a TOTP host put in an awkward position.

Score: 6.5
123