JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP  Dance/performance number 218 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Mystic Merlin  reaching number 20 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  15/05/80  Duration of dance 2.41 mins
Dancers--Gill, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 198
Sue      197
Rosie    195
Patti     192
Gill       191
Lulu      187
A link to the dance - Blog http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1736

Yet another Legs & Co routine denied to the viewing public on BBC4 television and its one of those routines that really requires to be viewed by that medium rather than a computer screen to really appreciate the value of it. As for the record, well i haven't much idea who the artists are, albeit they are yet another one hit wonder from this year that Legs get the pleasure of dancing too. It seems a lot of you out there in Legs & co land dont enjoy these funky tunes from this period in time, but i like them now as i did then. I have to say this is another fine example of what i mean, quite hypnotic in tone, rather dream like. Surprised it only reached number 20 in the charts though. As for Flicks interpretation here, well its debatable whats she conceived. Are the angelic nymphet type females in the heavens looking down on a fiery underworld thats populated by leggy felines, i suppose so.

I guess a lot of you will struggle to identify who the dancers are in their costumes and i did wonder whether or not to offer this one up for DOTD. May i point out the three who are the only real candidates. The first dancer we see doing a solo is Pauline. The next dancer who does a solo (and goes to ground) is Rosie. Sue is the other only choice, and she, as you all can clearly see is centrally positioned in the clouds.

For my DOTD choice, i will go for `Pauline`. I like the way that when the five of them head off stage right, she turns tail and stays to do her solo.

Rating--Not quite purrrrrfect, but almost the cats whiskers. `9.5 out of 10`

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

SuPaLu
I like this one alot,the costumes are great and the dancing is fine with good solos.9/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Given that the existing copy is of such average quality it is a shame that this didn't get to be shown on BBC4 as its an interesting concept.  The five felines have fun telling the tail, while the back-projected angels look angelic, but it doesn't quite gel for me so just a 7 with Pauline the Dotd.

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

This Dance has never quite hit the high points for me.  Not sure what exactly it is but the cat disguises are a little too good and the focus isn't sharp enough and the whole Heaven and Hell concept escapes me a bit.  OTOH the cats are definitely in heat and making some high-Celsius moves.  The song does nothing for me at all and I'd definitely be heading for the Bar if I happened to be on the Dance Floor when this one came on.  DotD isn't easy but I think I'll go with the Pauline supporters this time as she's the most fun to watch.  7/10

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Here's a dance routine, where two worlds (almost) collide, the main stage's obviously in hell, with Legs & Co., hardly distinguishable in devil's costumes, and we see heaven, with the same ladies, all dressed, in white with divided more bare flesh out on display, projected onto the Stygian wall facing the camera directly.
I rather like these contrasting productions, with two clearly different scenes, that are juxtaposed.
Again, it's Sue, who manages to draw a tad more attention from us, than the other dancers.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

bucksby
yeah it is hard to tell who is who. However Sue stands out the most for me so DOTD goes to her. I like the song and the routine so an 8 for me.

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

PaulF
CATchy number leaves me feline fine 8/10

Dotd Purrrrline.
Paul

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

brandonb
7/10 DOTD: Pauline

A pity the BBC decided to censor this episode for those easily offended - but I guess we should be used to this by now. The quality of the clip available is not really high enough to tell who is who but based on Ryan's info I think Pauline swung that tail just right for me. I didn't mind the song too much - though I think it would've been better without the crooning... (i.e. just as an instrumental). I'm 50/50 about it - it's not great but it wouldn't send me running to the bar either. In two minds about the cat outfits too in that I'm not sure they help with the dancing - it may have been better to have the background dancers on clouds as the main focus and the cats as the background (i.e. the other way round). But it's hard to say for sure without seeing it more clearly. Sooo I dunno... 7/10 overall I think.

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

VintageVideos
The track doesn't do anything for me, but neither does the dance, I'm afraid. Possibly my least favourite of 1980 so far.

6 / 10

DotD: Pauline

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Gorgeous Daze
Tell us oh mysterious Mystic Merlin: Out of a dreamy slice of kitsch that ought to be advertising a faux continental high-life product like Cinzano Bianco, just how did you conjure a hit?

The distance from the camera means that this one gets diminished by the Yewtree axe more than most, but allowing for that I still feel that in eternity it comes to an end. Legs and Co go from red-hot run to red-hot...flop. The dichotomy of heaven for those who resist and damnation for those who succumb to temptation was a hackneyed show-biz concept, but this might have worked had it employed more court camerawork. Recently DPIDFI demonstrated just how effective a static camera can be, this demonstrates how not to do it. Humour at arm's length isn't particularly funny and with no close-ups it's difficult to distinguish who the devil's who. And what bright spark obscured the angel on the left behind the flames of hell? There's fun to be had, albeit from the cheap seats, but it crosses over the border into silliness. Completely covering their crowning glory is rarely a good idea, and at the other end I find the tail twirling especially out of harmony with the smooth sound. There are far preferable felines on display in the city and altogether it's best to stash this one behind the cushions when the sneerers call. If the glorious close-up of Sue doesn't encourage an abstemious life it's hard to imagine what will and those last seconds probably have a slight boosting effect on scores. There's a sting in the tail for my rating though.

DOTD Rosie.   5.5/10
Steve
Stu

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Stu
Really wish I could've seen this one in full clarity. The distance from the dancers paired with the lack of definition make it difficult to make everyone out and thus really enjoy it. However I like the concept and the cat thing going on in a fun interesting dance.

8.5/10

DOTD  Pauline

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Adorable Gillusion
4/10  DOTD...Patti

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Colm
This routine reminds me of some many in TOTP dance history:

The opening and closing shots of Sue makes me think of “Silver Star”. The “angels” also brings to mind “Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel” and “You’ll Never Get to Heaven”.

The whole fiery theme, as well as the “multi-verses”, naturally recall “Hot Stuff”, and also “Somebody to Love”.

The cat costumes, never mind foreshadowing what’s to come in 1981, also remind me a tad of the “Boogie Nights” black and red clothing.

Rosie lying “in state” of course, recalls “Tragedy” (and to an extent, also points towards another routine the year ahead holds in store).

So, a nice patchwork in all, but still makes me feel a bit underwhelmed.

Dancer of the Day: Rosie - I’m most taken aback by her twirl in her solo part.

Score: 7.5

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Mikey
More laid back jazzy 'grooves' impinging on the charts being all smooth and sophisticated, wish i was in a cocktail bar, actually no i don't. Well we've done the lounge thing so lets go in the opposite direction and depict heaven and hell..at the same time..and dress as angels..and er cats. Yes the idea here is an odd one, i guess the word 'mystic' is partly responsible. As for the song, i do like it as i have all the recent songs of this ilk Legs have danced to. What is a real disappointment is the middle distance filming the entire routine and with all the cats donning the same outfit its very difficult to see whos who. The angels section is nice although appears only infrequently those devilish felines dominating the majority of screen time. To be fair the cat like dance moves are fun and i like the tail swishing but not a routine that stands out enough to be more than a 7/10. DOTD Pauline.

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Old Grey Whistler
I think this dance has been more affected by the Yewtree ban than any other with the possible exception of Part Time Love . With the picture a little fuzzy, it is difficult to make out who's who, a problem exacerbated by the lack of close ups. I don't really understand the concept behind the dance or the cat costumes, although they do look good. It's not at all bad but to be honest, even if a clearer copy becomes available, I don't think it is one I would watch very often. I will give it 7.5 out of 10 with Pauline as DOTD.

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

AC/PD
In addition to the routines mentioned by Colm, this routine provides brief flashbacks to two dance routines of differing quality: the fiery red and yellow is a colour scheme so eye-catchingly worn by Gill and Rosie in Donna Summer's Hot Stuff, whilst the background screen recalls a routine from that other musical monster, Gene Farrow...supported in his second TOTP 'audition' by Legs & Co. for Don't Stop Now.
Pauline's rear-view wiggle helps to keep the mercury bubbling over in the fire and brimstone setting populted by helines in the full throes of being 'on heat'. As proven by her calculating cat-moves on the sofa graced by her presence in The Groove, Lulu would have been ideal for having a tail between her legs so it's a shame she's absent. Then again, thanks to the lack of clarity caused by the middle distance viewpoint and footage quality, perhaps Lulu IS in there somewhere, with the ears on.
Filming the angels in an appropriate foreground setting with the Catwoman Convention on screen throughout and then alternating between the two set-ups might have alleviated the static nature of this routine. However, although blurred, it's good to see the actual physical legs receiving the brunt of the focus for this one.
7/10
DOTD: Pauline

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

This is a routine that I find a bit strange, and I'm not a fan of the song either. I find the poor picture quality, and the fact that we have a fixed camera with no close ups of the girls to identify who's who makes viewing difficult for me. Having said that it's an interesting concept having the two dances going on at the same time in parts.

DOTD Pauline

Rating 5/10

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

L&C4me
7/10     DOTD  Pauline

It's a shame the Beeb hasn't given us a clearer view of this routine. Just can't give you up gives the impression of a compulsion or addiction , love & trouble, hence the images of angels and devils.

The imagery and costume changes are reminiscent of the Hot Stuff routine.
There is no way the dancers were intended to be cats!

Jim

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Doc
This would certainly benefit from an HD replay, it would be a lot easier pick out who they are. A middle of the road performance for me, OK but nothing special. 8/10.
Dotd: The pussycat that plays dead in the middle of the routine, fantastic legs!
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: JUST CAN'T GIVE YOU UP [May]

Flick running out of ideas, i know lets use bits of Heaven must be missing an Angel, add in other bits of You'll never get to heaven, bits of Silver Star, mix it all up and we have this concoction.

Another tail of heaven and hell, flaming flames and angelic angels, danced to some hideous track.  even with a upgrade i can only make out some of the dancers, Gill, Rosie, Pauline.

Triumph of good over evil, not arf.  Nice visuals, naff song.

Scores: 9.5

Dancer to meet me at the Pearly Gates: Sue