KEEP ON DANCING [March]

KEEP ON DANCING  Dance/performance number 153 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Gary's Gang  reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  01/03/79  Duration of dance 2.40 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      137
Pauline 136
Patti     133
Rosie    133
Gill       129
Lulu      128
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26p1gs_legs-co-keep-on-dancing-totp-tx-01-03-1979_creation

Well i must confess i know nothing about Gary or his gang but i do know they have come up with a pretty decent record for our gals to perform to. The routine that Flicks devised does have its ups and downs though. Firstly i cant dig these outfits at all, they look like they are dressed in Registry Office bridal wear, not at all appealing. Id have gone for a much more funky look.

The routine itself is enjoyable with lots of close-up smiles, which we all like. Our new fav girl Rosie has a number of technical issues in the first minute of the routine. A wrong turn seems to unsettle her, and then a slow turn make it look very untidy. I also didn't think Sue had one of her best days either.

But on the plus side there was a simply superb segment in this when all six produced a great 30 seconds. The part im referring to is towards the end of the routine at the start of the middle eight instrumental section when all six dance in perfect synchronized precision. I find that part a joy to watch.

DOTD. Well with Pauline finding herself once again back in shadows, Sue & Rosie for me not having a great day, its going to be one of the other 3. So i will go for `Gill`.

Rating, for me this is a middle ranking routine, so im going to give it `7.5 out of 10`

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Paperboyplod
The most interesting thing about this latest effort, is not so much the actual dancing, which is fairly ordinary for this disco track, but the dress-code, & backdrops, it looks like the inside of a care home, look at the wallpaper, & the cleaners have gotten together for a dance, with the added extras of bridal hats, & chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, actually this must be a rather posh place.

7/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Lookmacinanger
Legs and Co musical odyssey through 1979 certainly seems reach new territories at this point in time. While given another text book disco track from Gary’s Gang to work with we are moved drastically away from the almost surrealism of Tragedy to something that was set in the lounge bar of the local and the ladies are dressed accordingly for these surroundings. The actual dancing during the routine is superb from this sextet and I’ll put Rosie’s minor slip down to thinking about that interview that will take place in 35 years’ time being on her mind. 8/10, Dotd Lulu

Get a move on ladies the darts team have got a match on later!

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

They look very elegant,and i think this is a beautiful dance.The lighting department did a good too.9/10
DotD:Lulu

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

I agree this is in the Legs & Co middle range for enjoyment but they do look good in their slit skirt bridesmaid outfits and certainly would have attracted the attention of any self-respecting Best Man.  Rosie does have a bit of a rough start but the rest of the routine is smooth and good to watch and there is indeed some lovely unison in the second half of this Dance as Ryan notes.  For Dotd it is definitely the right hand row of three who catch my eye and I think Lulu just shades it from Patti and Gill with her lovely smiles and somehow the costume seems to suit her the best.  The mark for me is 8/10  as it's very watchable but not a real stand-out as far as I'm concerned.

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Adorable Gillusion
5.5/10   DOTD...Rosie

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

PaulF
An OK 7/10 routine, and despite being at the back Gill catches my eye for DOTD.
Paul

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Not your typical outfits to the local disco mind you, why on earth are they dressed like this, it does restrict the movements slightly, but saying that the sextet bottom shimmy is worth the price of admission alone.

Tight dance steps, smiles all round from Lulu/Patti & Gill, but one slip up by young Sue on the timing side makes the last 5th of the dance a bit scrappy ()

Overall a decent stab at Gary's Gang first hit, but it was the two follow up's to pay attention too (Let's love Dance Tonight - sampled by Soulsearchers- and Do it at The Disco sampled by Flat beat star Mr Ozio)

Scores on my doors: 8/10

DOTD: all smiles - Patti

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Colm
I can't decide if the girls are more wedding reception or airline stewards here.

DotD: Lulu

Score: 7.5

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

This routine has grown on me a lot since I first watched it, on an admittedly rather dark copy.  The lighting still slightly lets it down but the dance is very nice to watch and the costumes are a delight.  With her forward line position it is Lulu who gets my pick for Dotd with a score of 8 for the dance.

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

VintageVideos
"I love those outfits" says Mike Read, and he gets so upset that he messes up his link, "from 23 to nowhere: Gary's Gang..." Ah, and I thought TOTP was all about new entries and climbers!
Well I do not like those outfits, in fact they remind me of "You're The First..." (Xmas version) and that's not a particularly good thing in my book. As been said, one of the girls has quite a rough start here, but the routine itself isn't very exciting either. With just a so-so song, this only gets a

7 / 10

DotD: Lulu
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp
Stu

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Stu
Not sure about the outfits, dressed for a day at the races, songs not great, routine's ok.

6.5/10

DOTD   Lulu

Stuey

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Old Grey Whistler
The chandeliers last seen in Don't Leave Me This Way have been dusted down and are back in situ. The girls meanwhile look as though they are attending a low key wedding. I think this is quite a good dance, but suffers a bit in comparison with some powerful routines which have preceded it.  As has been mentioned, Rosie is strangely off form at the start although recovers well.  Some of the others struggle a bit for camera time, but Lulu shines and gets DOTD.
I will score it 8.5 out of 10 as although a step down from what they have produced recently, there is still some nice choreography to admire.

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Gorgeous Daze
The girls do like they're dressed as the bride's mother, especially with the gloves. If they had walked off with a slice of cake wrapped in tissue at the end that would have settled it. But the chandeliers and hangings are reception ballroom enough for me. And the lighting is at the right ambient level for romance.

The routine is nothing special, but it's a nice formation dance all the same. I really like the mid-tempo disco number; the percussion is particularly good. The proggy keyboards of the instrumental section are its slight weakness, but as Ryan has said this is the best bit of the dance. I imagine the mini drum solo was the most challenging bit for the girls, but they manage that whole section with aplomb. Even when we're back with Mike Read they just keep on dancin'. The champagne and Cherry B's have clearly kicked in.

DOTD Lulu. Who seems to be sharing a private joke with the cameraman.  7.5/10

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Mikey
Not really feeling this one at all. The track sounds very dated, with the kind of synth that sounds like its from a schools science programmes title sequence and also the tinny percussion does not help. The vocal is fine, but there are much better disco tracks around from that year. After recent highs, there is not a great deal here to warrant repeated viewings, the moves are fine but the outfits are as bad as the ones Pans People used for Barry White.

5/10 DOTD Lulu

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

AC/PD
Fresh from Ladies Day at Royal Ascot, six satin-clad sultries stop off on the way back for a shimmy on the dance floor. Each unique may or may not have a betting slip beneath it: there are certainly no slips on display when they execute left-legged high kicks in those skirts, the slits allowing for freedom of movement.
Looking highly sophisticated, the gloves add a touch of elegance which would not look out of place in the tea-room of a high-class establishment.
Love the synchronisation of the dance from about a minute in onwards, and the 'BBC Schools' synth is certinly more agreeable than the brief snatch of zylophone towards the end in a song which is really right up the Legs & Co. street circa 1979.
The only negative aspect of the moody lighting is that we're denied a few classic close-ups, Lulu excepted.
7/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Old Bill
Hmmm a most dire of tracks, sounds like Gary's Gang has just pinched a few samples and things they thought might be popular with the kids at the time. I'm just glad we didn't have the 7minute version.

The dance... slow but pleasant. Not an awful lot to get over excited about. The outfits look like someone's saucy aunty at a wedding. Not entirely unappealing, but not very disco-ey.
The en-masse high kicks in those high heels deserve applause! But the shadey lighting deserves none.

6/10 and DotD is Lulu, working the camera as ever to bring some delight to an otherwise ordinary routine.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

Doc
8/10 and Lulu for dotd.
Still living in 1979

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

This is going to be a short comment for this routine. The ladies are wearing White satin jackets and dresses with a split on one side. That showed one of they fine legs. With a round pillar box hats with a vail and shoes. The ladies do a good routine to this song. There are no solos at all in this routine, so no one stand out.

So for my Dotd will go the smiling Lulu.

The score is 7 out of 10.

Re: KEEP ON DANCING [March]

bucksby
sadly this is one of the big disco hits I just don't like. Not sure why. Also the routine just doesn't grab me either,. Having just viewed I want your love I can only assume Flick has weddings on her mind in March 79! Hard to pick a DOTD, no one really stands out but that cheeky gal Lulu's smile did catch my eye so she gets DOTD. Routine just a 5
12