KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

VintageVideos
Keep On Truckin'
Performed by Eddie Kendricks and reaching number 18 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 22/11/1973 Duration of dance - 3.22 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2418

Eddie Kendricks used to be one of the lead singers of the Temptations, lending his voice to some of their biggest hits like "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "Get Ready", and "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)". In 1971 he left the Tempts for a solo career which, however, began very slowly. For more than two years, his highest peaking record in the US pop charts went no higher than No. 66 (while his former mates scored four Top 40 singles in the US, one of them - "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" - even making the No. 1 spot).
The record that provided Eddie's first substantial solo hit was "Keep On Truckin'" which went all the way to No. 1 for two weeks on Billboard's Hot 100 in November 1973. The single was an abridged version of the 8 min. album track, entitled as "Part 1" and featuring the sound of a truck going by, before the coda. Kendricks included a jab at his former bandmates with the lyric:
    In old Temptations' rain, I'm duckin'
    For your love through sleet or snow, I'm truckin'

In the UK, "Truckin'" entered the Top 50 in the week ending 3/11/1973. It spent a number of weeks in the lower regions of the charts before it finally hit its peak position, climbing from No. 24 to No. 18 in its 7th week by Mid-December. The record's chart run is a bit weird as it dropped out of the Top 30 the following week, hovering between 31 and 40 for another five weeks.

Pan's People danced to the track in its first week in the Top 30 (at No. 30). The host was Jimmy Savile, dressed in a skeleton shirt (I decided to spare you the sight) - reason enough that we will never see this show on TV again. This TOTP episode had been wiped by the BBC and was believed to be lost. In 2011 however, a copy of the show was located at the BFI. The quality of the print is a bit subpar but still very worth watching. Two years later, another recorded copy of the routine was found on a tape that Ian Levine had bought (as 'blank') from the BBC and thankfully never used. The Levine version is missing the first couple of seconds of the performance but is otherwise in much better quality.

"Keep On Truckin'" is a very difficult record to dance to with several radical tempo changes. But Flick certainly made the best of it and the girls delivered a real cracker. The routine is one of my desert island choices, one I never get tired of watching. Back in 1973 I didn't think much of the record, but now I just love it. My favourite part is the jazzy xylophone solo in the middle. Due to the changes in tempo the routine is rich in variety even though the final minute or so looks rather simple. Now I think you will probably have to like the song to love the dance so this performance could well be another marmite routine. Anyway, my verdict is nothing less than

10 / 10

Pan's People kept "truckin' on" with T. Rex just two weeks later.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Legsfan
I really like this routine and find it one of the most enjoyable Pans People routines that I have ever watched. I had watched this routine a little while back, but I never realised that it was from a 'wiped' edition until I couldn't find it in the routines thread. I'm glad this one survived and I really do hope more routines like this surface in the future.
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Cherry

Also thanks Vin for continuing the Pans People comments section

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Great to see this one finally on the Blog and now on the revived and appreciated PPCT and I love the ladies in their heels, voluminous white trousers with black figure-hugging tops and mobile shiny jackets.  The varied rhythm of the song gives the choreographer and dancers lots of opportunity for different moves and they take full advantage in this thankfully fairly lengthy performance.  My favourite parts are the "now you see us now you don't" shoulder moves at the 0:25 mark and the priceless "cameraman can't bear to leave Cherry" episode at about 2:10 (sorry BB).  I too find Cherry mesmerizing here so she's my DotD and I really like this Dance so it's 9.5/10  for me.  The end is not quite up to the rest of the performance for me but I do like the almost My Sweet Lord-like audience participation section nevertheless (sorry Vin) and I'd much rather have clapping or even a procession than one to one dancing with Hoi Polloi so well done Pans People (sorry Legs and Ruby)

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Doc
One of the first rare Pan's performances that I got to see. I remember being quite excited when it was shown, even more so when the improved Levine version was shown (despite the rough cut). That feeling's rather worn off since then, It's a very decent routine but for some reason it doesn't quite hit the heights (for me) of some of the others 8/10.
Dotd: The camera closing in on Cherry helps her to stand out

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

mojo2007
Thank you anon, another great addition.  Not perfect but close, say 9.5.  I do not feel that I want to pick out a DOTD.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Not keen on the song or the outfits, but i do like the clapping close-ups and the walking about the place. Certainly no duffer, but it wouldn't be any near to being a favourite Pans routine of mine. Im at `8 out of 10`. Not much point in picking a DOTD .

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

PattiForPM
Just to say that I like the option to award my own DotD even if it's not being tabulated.  Hope no-one minds.  I have learnt not to feel pressured to nominate one however and that's good too.  Yes my World is full of hummingbirds, flowers and butterflies

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Doc
Just joining in

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Old Grey Whistler
The first thing to say is that I don't like the song at all which maybe colours my view on the whole production. It is a bit of a game of two halves. It all starts off well and there is plenty of nice moves on display, however it ends rather weakly with rather too much walking and clapping.
I think had this routine been a minute shorter I would have scored it higher than the 7.5 out of 10 that I am giving it.
Good to have it in the archives though.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Something of a curates egg of an offering.  Resorting to hand clapping part way through is a clear indication that Flick didn't think much of the song, and she was right cos its an absolute stinker.  The camera work also seems a bit hit and miss but the lighting and set work as do those costumes, even if there is enough trouser material on stage to have run up a decent sized tent!  However, because the song is so bad the dance never seems to get going and even the revivalist ending cannot save it.  So it isn't one I watch all that often, even the bright technicolour copy.  Consequently I'm at 5 with Louise catching the eye the most.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

PattiForPM
That Vin Marmite prediction is looking pretty good

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

VintageVideos
Yep just what I expected. Those funky soul numbers are not to everybody's taste.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Gorgeous Daze
Eddie Kendricks even sounds like a haulage firm but I can't say I'm keen on trouser legs you could drive a small truck down, and though the top halves are stylish the look's more for a night on the town than a dance routine. But with the hazy late night feel of the record the low lighting works well as does the structure and ingredients of the routine with the proggy soul. It starts off with the kind of standard fayre that doesn't excite this viewer but after they've turned their backs there's a languid part where it begins to grab me and thereon you don't know where the signposts are heading. Sure, the dancing subsides with the clapping but I like the mood. Good to see the lengthy stage that was denied Legs & Co utilized, it would also have been interesting to see the later troupe leading the crowd in this untouchable way.

The song's not my service station cuppa and this era of dance/dancers can't hold a candle to Legs & Co in my estimation and affection so I wouldn't even take this to Clacton-On-Sea, but with as usual some objectivity. 8/10

A subtle quality in Cherry hitches DOTD even if some drivers ain't stoppin' for no-one.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Everything'sRosie
My bete noire of the early 70s (bell bottoms!) strikes again. Fantastic to see this routine though. That looks like a mighty big stage to me, and the studio looks abandoned in the early part of routine. I was starting to think it was one of those rehearsal clips until the crowd suddenly appeared. Not a fave I'm afraid. Cherry looks delightful as ever and so is my DotD. But who is that mysterious man who dresses in bones and speaks the words of seals?
Marks 7/10

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Mikey
So the truck finally started rolling leading to an upturn in blog related Pans goodness, hurrah. Whilst not previously familiar with the track itself which is a great funky soul piece with a nice string section, it also led me to check out a few of his other works particular favs being Girl You Need A Change of Mind and Date With the Rain, which i prefer over this one, but nevertheless KOT is a neat choice. I like the ever changing structure of the routine, some segments see plenty of energy with those little shuffling and hopping motions nicely integrated in, contrasting with the quieter parts and the clapping finale which shows the audience joining in creating a pretty joyous atmosphere. I'll give it a 9/10, are we still doing DOTD?, if we are then its Cherry.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

VintageVideos
Just to clarify, anyone who wishes to do so can of course choose a DotD. But I ceased updating the DotD ranking table on Jan. 1 for several reasons and I don't intend to start updating it again as the same reasons still apply.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Mikey
Thanks Vin

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

Dancer
I have this routine but unfortunately in black and white.  Irrespective it would not be up there as a desert island routine.  I think they could have done a lot more with this.  What springs to mind is the girls in a racing car as in Legs & Co's Roadrunner routine.  The audience participation was good.  The outfits were relatively drab - like something out of an Ambrose Wilson catalogue with emphasis on maternity wear.  It did not light my fire.  I will award this eight out of ten.

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

BeautifulBabs
i think I could find myself up for my own meanie of the week award here and I'm a bit surprised how popular this is though Katie did say at the last meet it was one of her favourite pans so Katie if you are reading please score this too.

What ruined it for me is that the early copies were very soft and the one we finally have now is still not that great.

Likes-

its the girls

its not wiped

no-one is off sick

its better than I can't stop

Downers :

I not a great fan of the song which reminds me of that annoying convoy record and the film. Eddie's falsetto is a bit over the top.

Could be a frisbee routine

Too much clapping

Costumes like a freemans catalogue

No bikinis

of the ones in this style I much prefer the love I lost.

Maybe a more literal trucking conger would have been more fun.

I don't play this much

Not very sexy.

so sorry flick and the girls I can't go more than a 7- I think this was an easy average day at the office for you

Re: KEEP ON TRUCKIN' -- 22/11/1973

CoffeeThing
I love the early 1970s and this just embodies so much somehow for me. I think 7.75 and DOTD is Cherry, but only because the close-up featured her. These were the days of few solo parts within routines it seems. Actually, scratch that, it's an 8/10 for me!