Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Doc
Pan's.
Partial rehearsal of Feels like Makin Love with white trousers instead of shredded jeans.
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Doc
Legs: a number of routines with start up errors that didn't make the show.
My favourite was Ma Baker where Sue spun the handbag and it went flying off screen just before the start, followed by an oops and a giggle from Sue.

Others: Everlasting Love, multiple remakes including Gill getting tangled up.
Feel the Need In Me, extra footage before the start.
Feel Mighty Real: False start and a bit more at the end.
Enough is Enough, a few extra seconds at the end including a tired Lulu.
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Legsfan
I'm sorry I missed the famous Mr Singh, but unfortunately I have an earlier train, reasons explained in a previous post.
Sorry I wasn't sat near anyone,  I'll make sure I make myself known next time.
Enjoy the rest of the evening!

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Cherry mentioned in an interview a routine where white trousers had to be replaced, perhaps this was the one she remembered.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Well what can i say other than what a bloody brilliant day again with good friends and splendid fayre supplied by Kaleidoscope. I will leave others to talk about the music side of things, i was more interested in the Pans/Legs footage. I spent the last 12 months or so in the doldrums as it were lamenting that no more rare footage of Legs & Co will ever emerge, and then we get this, which i dont mind saying blew me away it was so unexpected.

We were promised 55 minutes of this stuff by Kal, i was very dubious we'd get so much and i reckon it lasted around 35 minutes.

Starting with Pans People. Now i knew this existed (as a few of you have got this and annoyingly i haven't) but rehearsal Footage of Pans dancing to `Feel Like Making Love` started us of. What was so different to the actual TOTPs end product was the girls wore the same tops but white trousers instead of the torn jeans they wore in the shown version. We only saw around 90 seconds of this and didn't get to see any Babs smiling face or Sue solo at the end.

Next up was Ruby Flipper with Robin Sarstedt dancing to MRIL. Yes Kaleidoscope who know next to nothing about our niche subject obviously thought this was also Pans People. Some of the guys thought this may also be rehearsal footage and to be honest some camera angles did look different. One thing that was the same was the big smile Robin gave at the end. I may have to watch the version we are familiar with and decide later on that.

Next up was Pans dancing to `Walking In The Rain` and i could see nothing new on this and i started to fear the worst at this point. Next was Pans dancing to `Down Down`. Most of us serious collectors have this but it was nice to see it on the big screen.

So that was the starters, now for the main.

Legs & Co dancing to the very uninspiring `An Everlasting Love` by Andy Gibb. Truly remarkable footage as it showed a member of Legs & Co getting completely wrapped up like a Xmas turkey in the tinselly tape that the girls had to walk through. No prizes for guessing which member, the accident prone Gill didn't disappoint. After she unraveled herself they started again and it appears the girls had a problems a plenty getting the routine to flow as more false starts were shown. It got to the stage were the Kal compare asked the audience whether he should fast forward it. I of course howled my disapprovement but as most of the audience had no interest in the Legs footage the fast forward button was pressed.

Anyhow they then moved on to `Feel The Need In Me`. We didn't get the false start we are all familiar with, but what we did see was the extended ending with the girls finishing the routine and basically standing about ready to exit the stage.

Next up was Legs and ole bob-a-job Floid dancing to Sylvester's `You Make Me Feel`. The routine starts and all is fine for 20 seconds. Something goes wrong which i irritatingly i missed and the routine is stopped with the audience looking on. The thing that was most noticeable is a peeved Patti throwing her arms up in frustration as they march backwards to their starting positions. The routine then progresses with a good 20 seconds or so extra than what we see on the broadcasted version. I always thought it was a weak ending anyway to that routine with the dimly and ineffective glowsticks and the extra footage doesn't really add anything.

Next up is Legs dancing to `Ma Baker`. Whats remarkable in this is Sue manages to somehow throw her handbag off stage before they get to the "Freeze Im Ma Baker` intro. It must have slipped through her hands. The routine we know then takes place and again the camera keeps rolling at the end to show a puffed out Sue looking a bit sweaty.

The final thing was the routine we all know to `Enough Is Enough`. Nothing to much happened until the very end, when again the camera kept shooting to show Lulu drop to the floor. All quite extraordinary and well received by the dance fans in attendance, with yours truly leading the applause.

It just makes me wonder how many more routines didn't go smoothly and how many more extended versions of routines were cropped back to fit into the programmes. Im just grateful we have had the opportunity to watch what we have today and its kind of raised my spirits we may see more, especially as Kal reckoned they were sent these by the BBC. Here is hoping for more goodies in the future at Kal events.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

The performances on Get It Together were:

Dead End Kids: Have I The Right
Berni Flint: I Don't Want To Put A Hold On You
Showaddywaddy: When

Linda Fletcher was lovely BTW.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

The Rubberband Man
^ ^ ^ ^
As has been said above, a fantastic day yesterday, and seeing the PP and L&C rehearsals and out-takes was fabulous and a real privilege.
It is remarkable how time flies at these Kal events, there's just so much going on and to take in.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Everything'sRosie
The day started off chaotically for me as trespassers on the railway line caused all trains south of Brum to be cancelled or severely delayed. However, things got increasingly better after I arrived. This was definitely one of my favourite Kal days. I prefer the Parkside building anyway, it's a terrific venue. Great to meet up with the gang again, of course. As for the order of the day, special mention for guest Linda Fletcher who seemed genuinely touched by the warm welcome she received, especially when two ladies in the auditorium revealed themselves to have been in the audience on the first recording of Get It Together back in 1977. A lovely moment. So to when she finally got her hands on The Look-In award after 40 years.

Naturally though, the highlight of the day was the cutting-room floor footage of Legs, Pans & Ruby. It would be great to think there's plenty more of this stuff back at the BBC. I'd love to see all those clips again to spot the mistakes, some subtle...overs, ahem, somewhat more obvious. Yes Clarke, I'm looking at you!

I also enjoyed the Razzamatazz compilation. Amongst all the custard-pie mayhem there were some decent clips of stars of yesteryear. So too the Top Of the Pops performances which never made it onto the show...including Paul McCartney, no less! That would be unthinkable these days. The Beatle-heavy (3 songs performed) edition of Ready, Steady, Go was a later treat, with the lads at their cheeky best.

As I said, a great day, and I even managed to finish off a curry for the first time in living memory.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

There's little to add to Ryan's fine report on the footage of our dancers. The Legs & Co part was fascinating, sheer gold dust and it certainly exceeded expectations. You just didn't know what you were getting next and I wanted it to just go on and on.

When You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) got halted the face on Patti really was one to behold! A new side to her depths, but she soon switched that broad smile back on when it got underway again.

I better mention the Zoo dance to Donna Summer's Love Is In Control that was shown in the "Unused 'Top Of The Pops' Inserts" section. We couldn't decide if it was a rehearsal or simply the one broadcast, but the date given was 29/7/82 which is a week before the edition the routine featured on.

I can only chime in with what a good time we had yesterday!

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

From Facebook :-

Linda Fletcher and Vicky Salvador

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Gorgeous Daze
Nice one (or should that be two?) RBM.

If Carlsberg made photographers.. .....
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

I don't think Love Is In Control was a rehearsal. The viewing yesterday looked like an extended version, like the Sylvester Legs & Co routine.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Linda's a lovely lady. She replied to my FB comment very quickly. And the camera certainly loves our fave PA.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Yes i agree with that Legsfan.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Legsfan
Something I also noticed was that the clip of Patti and Sue talking in No More Tears wasn't included yesterday.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Thanks for your report on Kal Ryan, interesting reading on our ladies.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Mikey
Found this on facebook, can anyone spot themselves?

Also does anyone know if they are doing a show at the BFI this year?

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for the account of the event. Would like to have been there.  I would imagine there would be quite a few dance routines where an extended version was filmed as not many routines have a clear cut ending. I am surprised that the extended versions were kept though.

Re: Kaleidoscope Music Event - 2nd June 2018

All the OFTDs crowd were on the back 3 rows towards the right. So the picture somehow misses us.