Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

This was brought to our attention on the chat thread, but i think it deserves to have a thread of its own. The entire TOTPs from 6th June 1974 will be shown at the Kal music event. Of course this date is well known to Pans People fans as it marks the on-screen dancing debut of Sue. Although we have all watched the routine many times, i will be intresting watching it in the context of the show. Have we ever seen Noel Edmonds intros and outros to it, does he give a mention about the new dancer ? We shall see.

This and other rare music finds will be screened on Saturday 27th May at Curzon Building, Birmingham City University, Millenium Point, Birmingham. Unlike the old Stourbridge days you cannot no longer just ruck up and gain entry. You need to register for a free ticket. This is a simple process and you dont even need to have a paper ticket, you can just show them your phone that displays your ticket. Though paper tickets can be sent to you.

If you click the link below, it shows the run-down of what they are showing. The screenings commence at 10.30 and end just before 6pm. The link also contains how to register for a ticket, simply click the green `free register` tab.

I do hope a few from here will go. There is a cafe & bar on-site and a couple of local pubs i recommend, so dont shoot of home, come and have a jar or two with us.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/parkside-for-pop-tickets-33955855879?ref=estw

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Everything'sRosie
Some interesting stuff (and oddities too, Ed and Zed, indeed!) lined up here. And not just Pans but Hot Gossip too. May 27th FA Cup day, hope that doesn't affect numbers as in my experience archive fans tend to like their footie. I might let some of you guys talk me into coming to this in a couple of weeks time. Reading the blurb I see Peter Adamson appears in one of the shows, I wonder if this is the same guy who played Len Fairclough...and will it be Yewtree'd as a result!

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Gorgeous Daze
Gary Glitter on the TOTP edition too. To their credit Kaleidoscope don't believe in rewriting history.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Everything'sRosie wrote
May 27th FA Cup day, hope that doesn't affect numbers as in my experience archive fans tend to like their footie.
Yeah i like my footie too. Back in the 70s the FA cup final was unmissable, but now with so many matches on TV, its just another match.

As for Peter Adamson, surely it must be the same guy who played Len. `The Tube` appearance will be 3 months after him being cleared in court of indecent assault.

Just on Yewtree stuff. When Kal showed the Vicar stash in June 2014, they made no attempt to edit out the Jimmy Savile intros. This at the time was meeted with a mixture of gasps and a few cheers.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

PattiForPM
Sorry I'm missing this.  I do hope Sue gets a good intro from Tidybeard and that the footage is in the top nick it is said to be.  Keep us posted please attendees

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

I note that there appears to be no special guest for the event. `Heres hoping`,  he says whilst desperately searching for a praying emoticon.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

PattiForPM
Now that would make it truly painful to miss

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Legsfan
I'm gutted I can't attend the OFTD meet-up earlier in the month
However, If I shuffle some things around I should be able to attend this event  I have always been a fan of older television, so I will see what this is like and as Sue's debut edition is going to be ahown I think that this is unmissable!
I look forward to seeing some of you at the event which will hopefully make up for me not being able to attend the Birmingham meet-up.

Maybe Sue could be the special guest?

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

PattiForPM
I see from Chris on the Kal FB site that this 1974 TOTP show comes from the PVL, which Kal finally has after all these years.  It seems some of this has been lost/destroyed now but at least the right people have what remains now

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Doc
Only 5% of it left. It seems like Mrs 'Ken' binned the rest of it after he died.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

I note that there appears to be no special guest for the event. `Heres hoping`,  he says whilst desperately searching for a praying emoticon.
I think they had someone lined up, but the change of date meant they couldn't come and they couldn't find a replacement.

Of course I very much doubt they would realise the significance of the episode. It's just another recovery to most of them.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Doc wrote
Only 5% of it left. It seems like Mrs 'Ken' binned the rest of it after he died.
It's been quoted that the show is in far better quality than the PVL digitisation, it will be interesting to see if the Pan's routine is clearer as it's one that's always seemed too dark.
I wonder how many of the shows were actually complete. I'm guessing the PVL split them up into song segments to maximise their revenue.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Doc wrote
Only 5% of it left. It seems like Mrs 'Ken' binned the rest of it after he died.
I make that something like 400 tapes surviving out of 8000, hope she kept the good ones!

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

The Rubberband Man
Kaleidoscope have posted this on their twitter feed today :-

RECOVERY UPDATE 4: The Music Collection of Ken Holmes (often referred to as the PVL Collection)
Many years ago people used to search a website offering a vast amount of BBC material for sale. The so-called PVL Collection was mainly on obsolete formats and the seller wanted £20,000. Sadly, this was outside the price bracket of many people. The seller was Ken Holmes, an ex BBC employee who had spent a lifetime recording the shows he worked on and felt he should receive some reward for buying the tapes and storing them. Eventually, as Ken became older, he was approached by someone who 'offered to help him' and transfer the older tapes to modern formats. Ken agreed, handing over the rarest music tapes and equipment. They were eventually returned to him, but the digital copies were promised but didn't arrive.

Then suddenly those individuals who had offered to help Ken, popped up on music groups selling his PVL footage. People were sold clips from missing Top of the Pops shows and paid vast sums. The quality was poor in 99% of cases though people thought they were getting the best quality copy available. Ken died without receiving that money and his widow wanted the original tapes to be disposed of. She started to destroy them. A mutual friend of Kaleidoscope stepped in and took the original tapes. They were a mixture of Shibaden and Panasonic reel to reel tapes; with some Umatic and Phillips 1500 cassettes. Since then the tapes have been lovingly restored. They contain more footage than currently circulates on youtube or various trading groups. Indeed it contains whole shows only previously sold as short clips. And now it's in much better quality, of course.. We are showing one example - a missing 1974 Top of the Pops at the Parkside for Pop event on 27th May 2017. Kaleidosope looks forward to showing you all of the collection over the next few years.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

CoffeeThing
I'm a bit naive of what happens with all this material. Looking forward to showing it over a number of years? What is the aim of Kaleidoscope? Clearly they save rare old footage and restore it, but with what aim? Selling it? Making it freely available for viewing in some way? I'm not really sure how it all works.

Not referring to the above but somewhat relevant to the back story, it always seems such a shame that historically important material beloved by many becomes unattainable to most because things become monetised with, in some cases, astronomical arbitrary values. Art becomes lost to people and disappears from the collective consciousness. Very sad indeed. Human nature at its worst.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

The Rubberband Man
CoffeeThing wrote
I'm a bit naive of what happens with all this material. Looking forward to showing it over a number of years? What is the aim of Kaleidoscope? Clearly they save rare old footage and restore it, but with what aim? Selling it? Making it freely available for viewing in some way? I'm not really sure how it all works.

Not referring to the above but somewhat relevant to the back story, it always seems such a shame that historically important material beloved by many becomes unattainable to most because things become monetised with, in some cases, astronomical arbitrary values. Art becomes lost to people and disappears from the collective consciousness. Very sad indeed. Human nature at its worst.
In their own words CT - Kaleidoscope is a voluntary, non profit-making group devoted to the appreciation and research of vintage television in all its forms.
Ordinary people discover old recordings of tv programmes, they hand them over to the Kaleidoscope enthusiasts, the films are cleaned up and restored, their work is showcased at event like the one coming up in May, broadcasters can buy the restored footage as Kal only sell to the trade. Occasionally they'll do a run of DVD's if they think a programme has a sufficiently big enough public audience to make it marketable.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

I'm afraid that's not very accurate!
As far as I'm aware they don't sell any material as it's not theirs to sell in the first place. They also don't put it online unless they have been given the correct permissions. It is made available for the original owner to use if they so wish. The material is also returned to them if they want it. So the BBC could show all of the recovered TOTP material, but they've not been interested in doing so other than a few clips.
Because they have a good reputation with broadcasters such as the BBC they are allowed to borrow stuff from the archives and show it at charitable events to a limited audience (that's why the events are free and there is charity collection at them).
They have only produced one DVD set that was financed through crowdfunding and it was only made available to contributors. A lot of what they hoped would go on there had to be removed because of problems getting permission to use it.

Before anyone points it out, events that are run with the BFI are charged, but that's to do with the BFI, not Kaleidoscope.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Here's their current website:
https://www.tvbrain.info/
Some of it is free and some is subscription based (to try and raise some money to continue their work).
The subscription part will eventually have some clips of what they have found.

Here's a BBC new item including talk of a TV channel they don't run anymore.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-34075649

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Doc wrote
I'm afraid that's not very accurate!
Well, I only took the info from their web site.
If you want to hire the services of Kaleidoscope, or buy some of our lost footage, then apply now for a Trade Account (coming soon)

I've always thought it strange that the events are free as I'd willingly pay a fiver at least for the day, just to cover the costs. The charitable status thing makes sense though, and a contribution to the charity of the day is a simple way of saying thank you for the fine work they do.

Re: Kaleidoscope are showing the entire TOTPs when Sue made her debut.

Doc
I think the 'coming soon' is the relevant bit here. They have very little income and are looking for ways to raise some money to continue their work, hence the subscription on the website.