L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Old Grey Whistler
L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT
Original Broadcast Date:  17/04/74
Troupe: Pans People
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise & Ruth
Link: http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2050

By the end of 1973, Pans People were firmly established on British TV, mainly due to their weekly appearances on TOTP and also appearing on various variety shows. Such was the esteem that the BBC held them in, that they were given their own 35 minute show – Pan’s People in Concert. This allowed Flick a lot more control as she was able to choose the music that they danced to and had full control over the sets. It also gave her plenty of scope for experimentation with varying results! It was recorded on New Year’s Eve 1973  and eventually broadcast on BBC2 on the 17th April 1974.  It is as well that they didn’t delay transmission much longer as otherwise Louise would have left, Sue would have joined and it would have been a continuity nightmare.

L.A. Resurrection was the last performance of the show. It features some rather odd looking costumes with what appear to be Christmas Tree baubles hanging off them. Dee Dee mentions in their book that the costumes were uncomfortable to wear and as we can see, some of the baubles worked loose and ended up on the floor. They could have done with the Wimbledon ball-boys scurrying on to scoop them up. It is good to see the audience getting involved. We are led to believe that the dancers appealed mainly to lads and their dads but there seems to be quite a few women in the audience to me.  Most of the men look quite senior, not too many adolescents on display, and not looking like a typical TOTP audience, so perhaps they didn’t know what they were coming to see!

As for the performance, well it’s okay but not one that I really get into although it is nice that each of the girls get a brief close up. It wasn’t a bad way to end the show and the whistles add some novelty value, but it definitely wasn’t the highlight of the concert. I will score it 7.5 out of 10 and await your comments.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Everything'sRosie
Were the set builders on strike! That's a big floor to fill but the Pan's ladies put plenty of energy into this. I've never seen the full show and at first I thought they were dancing in an empty studio, but then we see our audience...with their hanky waving whistle blowing participation. I shouldn't laugh, but they looked like they should be watching a recording of The Generation Game or The Golden Shot. Bingo-playing grans and old boys in de-mob suits. Bit harsh, but few looked like they were under thirty five. I quite liked this though, and we get some nice close-ups so I'll give it a 7/10

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Doc
The outfits do have an interesting similarity to Get Down Tonight.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Yes there are much better moments in the concert than this. The sparsity of the setting, the silly costumes, the tune that im not all that familiar with make this a bit of a hard slog for this watcher. No doubt if i was in the `bus trip` crowd who have turned up hoping for some entertainment, id be wearing my party hat and blowing a whistle like the rest and enjoying myself into the bargain. But 43 years on infront of my computer, after a couple of views, im just not getting those vibes. I get the impression that the five girls are not as tight say as a TOTPs performance and dare i suggest they are phoning this ending in slightly, with a view to saying cheerio to the audience and heading for the showers.

Just `5 out of 10`.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Its an odd choice of music to end this show with and the hangar like space only adds a sense of directionless to proceedings, epitomised when the credits roll to the backs of the girls and not before their smiling faces.
On the plus side I'm happy with the bauble adorned costumes but less enthusiastic towards that bête noire of mine, audience participation.  And here we have them chirping like a bunch of inebriated crickets which doesn't help one little bit.  Some of the dances from this show are well worth a maximum but I'm afraid this is a 5.5 at best.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Well I really am a bit disappointed with this "climax" of the Pans People Concert and think it could have been much better (as do my colleagues it seems).  The ladies look lovely but beyond that it's difficult to see much goodness in this piece.  The music is uninspiring; surely the last number on a once in a lifetime chance to feature Pans People deserved better than this Flick.  Maybe there were budget constraints in obtaining better music but citing Two Rons precedent I wonder if Flick's taste in music is rather unique.  The moves seem rather generic too and the ruddy John Denver audience seem to have been resurrected for no good reason. It's difficult to be entirely critical of what was a great opportunity for these ladies but overall it's nowhere near as much fun as it could have been so I'm a 5/10  too, sorry.  Not even a DotD from me in my sulkiness...

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

mojo2007
Something silly to wind down from  some of the earlier sensual  numbers. Not Flick's finest  arrangement  but the dancers  are beautiful.  It could have been much worse, Ruth in a gorilla suit,  so lets say a 6.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Gorgeous Daze
Balls laid on and like the proverbial striker Pan's People find themselves in acres of space only to let the chance go begging. Blowing the whistles is an incongruous demographic whom one could believe were given the wrong Studio number for The Black and White Minstrel Show. If it ever existed. The girls look great, like one of them is due a snog with William Shatner before the night is out, but from this exciting initial impression it mainly disappoints. The music isn't exactly hip and it makes them seem to search around for direction, and it all becomes like a protracted lap of honour for their ad hoc supporters while they turn their backs on their real fans. United in celebration with that crowd just comes across as fake. There is at least enough nice viewing and flair displayed in the first half to merit it 6/10

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

VintageVideos
Well, I like it. Oh to be there in the audience!

8 / 10

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

The Rubberband Man
It’s like Pans People are leading a giant aerobics class for OAPs towards the end, what with all that arm waving going on.

Clearly no expense was spent on the staging or scenery. This routine looks a bit of a low budget affair, don’t know if the preceding routines in the show were the same. The costumes look great however, and so do PP.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Thanks for all of your replies so far. Plenty of interesting comments and diverse opinions which is what we are all about. Doc makes a good point about the costume being similar to the one used in Get Down Tonight. I think the costumes for LAR were maybe a bit of a prototype that was refined for GDT to make them a little more comfortable to wear.
Anyway we are perched on 9 ratings at the moment so I am hoping that someone can supply a 10th one as soon as possible so that we can progress further.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Old Grey Whistler wrote
Anyway we are perched on 9 ratings at the moment so I am hoping that someone can supply a 10th one as soon as possible so that we can progress further.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs
Wearing half of the silver Two Ronnies "Altar Rock" costumes with different tops and the addition of appropriately coloured baubles, the finale of PP's In Concert programme springs into life to L.A. Resurrection. Recorded on the last night of 1973 I expect there was a fair amount of atmosphere in the studio with the audience certainly getting into the spirit of things.

Ruth loses a bauble or two early on but otherwise the routine starts quite well and I like the single camera flowing around the studio (not so easy to achieve in those days). There's a certain lack of synchronism at times which makes you wonder if the recording was up against it time wise... I imagine everyone was looking at the clock keen to get away to their New Year's Eve parties.

It's a nice idea for each dancer to effectively have a solo shot and take a bow which works well for the end of the show and I can appreciate the idea behind this closing with audience participation, however that's where things take a downward trend. The whistling outstays its welcome especially when the rhythm is lost and sound is produced both during inhalation as well as exhalation, turning into a shrill cacophony on the soundtrack. In short, it all becomes a bit of a mess from this point but it is very interesting to see a reverse camera angle looking out at a studio audience with the view that performers usually see.

The first 2 minutes is pretty good but overall the result is dragged down by the latter part - 6.5/10.

Thanks for your comments PansLegs. It's great to finally get the elusive tenth rating. I have to say as well that you always manage to produce good quality screencaps. I'm quite jealous really!

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs
Old Grey Whistler wrote
Thanks for your comments PansLegs. It's great to finally get the elusive tenth rating. I have to say as well that you always manage to produce good quality screencaps. I'm quite jealous really!
Thanks OGW, I'm pleased you like my screen grabs. I'll get around to reviewing the Dana Jack Jones eventually.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Mikey
I have to confess i've never watched 'In Concert' in one sitting, although i have watched bits of it over the last 4 years to an often 'hmmm' reaction. I don't think i've ever seen too many positive comments about it either although this is the first time we get to do this by means of a dedicated comments page, so where better to start than right at the end. Of course all the elements of In Concert are completely different from each other, and this is of course the rousing bit to finish off the night with some added audience participation. First off the outfits look great, the dancers wearing regulation colours by the added bauble things that add a touch of sparkle but may otherwise be unnecessary.

The dancing is good if a little uninspiring, i think the space probably could have been made a little smaller as the vast stage area looks very bare, although this makes more sense when the camera then shifts behind the dancers to view the audience waving enthusiastically. The last minute whistle blowing is probably enjoyable while your sat in the audience joining in but through a laptop speaker is pretty awful and drowns out the music which was pretty generic to start with. For sheer enthusiasm at the end of a long recording I'll give it a generous 6/10.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for your rating and review, Mikey. Ideally I would probably have started at the beginning of the concert but I don't have an individual link for that particular dance at the moment.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

AC/PD
Although broadcast on the non-commercial channel, the impression with this number is that it's an interim one and a way of keeping the audience entertained during a commercial break. Perhaps they're waiting for the set to arrive... It's much more of a warm-up than a warm-down spectacle and does outstay its direction somewhat with the ladies continuing beyond a prevoiusly envisaged point due to a 60 second delay in getting the end credits rolling. The 50/50 overlay is the correct choice.
The costumes are to be admired. One could say they were certainly different for precisely one year until PP were similarly adorned with spherical objects for Get Down Tonight on the same date in the Spring of '75.
I do like PP's initial approach for the commencement and from that moment onwards, the eyes are drawn towards cheery Ruth who'd be my DOTD were such an acolade in active service in this neck of the woods.
Can't recall the Teflon track though.

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Legsfan
This is quite different than what I am used to in a Pan's People routine, but personally it just isn't to my liking. The routine just seems a bit too fast and hectic. The ladies do certainly look very beautiful, but those baubles on the outfits just look ridiculous!
Rating: 6/10

Re: L.A. RESURRECTION - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Doc
Positives
Nice outfits.
Decent dance that would have looked a lot better had it been shot better.

Negatives
Too many long shots.
Music a bit rough.
Audience seen to be listening to another tune.
That whistle!

Spotted:
Detached balls.