LET EM IN

As you will be aware there is no 2nd Beatles Song for Ruby Flipper so I have chosen the next best thing, a Wings song (I know some of you Lennon fans would not agree but there’s no John and Yoko song for the Flippers either).  Let Em In was a McCartney offering from Wings at the Speed of Sound, a successful follow up to Venus and Mars.  The song reached #2 and it’s known for name-dropping some famous people like Uncle Ernie (Keith Moon), Sister Suzie (Linda McCartney in a previous band), Brother Michael (McCartney) and Martin Luther (John Lennon as he was known to the other Beatles).  The song was also infamously covered by Bert Parks, long time host of the Miss America Pageant in a somewhat comedic effort seen here:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBDcb7kq_g

                           LET EM IN     -    Wings                                   August 19th 1976

                                   DANCERS:    Floid, Phil, Lulu, Patti, Sue

   LINK: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ac8g_ruby-flipper-let-em-in-verison-1-totp-tx-19-08-1976_creation

  This is a joyous romp in my estimation, with all the Dancers getting a chance to act a little and laugh with us at their antics and farce-like comedic efforts.  The Childrens’ TV designed doors fit the dance perfectly even if Patti almost shoves one off the stage at 2:25 or so.  There are lots of little vignettes to focus on and Sue makes the most of the “Sister Suzie” parts of the chorus so perfectly.  The pinnacle of the piece is surely Sue discovering Lulu seducing Phil (oh OK so there’s no evidence it went off this way but it’s fun to theorize).  I also love Patti with her wicked wiggling hindquarters but Lulu’s Martin Luther prayer just clinches it for this brilliant teenager over the wonderful wonderful Sue.  I agree it’s not “Dancey” but such a giggle from start to finish and I don’t find the wobbly door-effect at all annoying in this context.  I am awarding 9/10 and as I say DotD to Lulu although everyone is contending.  Ok I’ll open it up to the Floor....

Re: LET EM IN

Andeebee
well I can defo say if Sue knocked on my door I can say I will 'let her in', and I'll do you a favour I will give this a nice round 9.5

Re: LET EM IN

   Absolutely adore this one. Okay there's no dancing as such, but it has plenty more to keep my attention. One thing i crave a lot from all these clips is good quality close ups of our dancers faces, and this routine delivers that. Very difficult to choose between the three girls, but the two lads do fine as well.

  DOTD. Is it wrong of me to be totally seduced by young Lulu and her youthful charm. We see the girl praying in one scene and 20 seconds later she is in a romantic clinch with Phil, mind you Sue`s door opening skills are also good here. I give in, `Lulu` has snared me and im hooked, so she is my DOTD.

Overall rating, well this is one of three Ruby Flipper ratings that will be getting the maximum treatment from me.
 `10 out of 10`

Re: LET EM IN

Old Bill
Well firstly full marks must go to the all the doors for staying on the stage - you can see that they're thinking about going over the edge a couple of times!

But this is a different one. Not so much as dance as has been mentioned, but a performance with lots of opportunities for funny faces! And nicely shows off Flick's creativity when 'normal' choreography alone might not be enough, due to the 'danceability' of the song.

Also, I guess it must be technically quite tricky for the dances running about, with few visual cues as to what comes after whatever door they heading towards.

The dance gets a 7.5/10 from me. And it's so much better than the doom-laden LC version at Christmas - which was performed to a different version of the song for some reason.

Like Ryan I was falling for Lulu for DotD - her prayer sequence is adorable! I was trying to work what she's saying... and then it becomes clear! If you watch carefully you can see her mouthing "Please forgive me for what I'm about to do with Phil...."
Lulu - how could you do this to me?! Oh the hurt!

So my DotD is the wonderful Sue for uncovering Lulu's naughty goings-on... and for being pretty spot-on all the way through anyways - her faces are a good mix of friendliness and innocence and sauciness! Oh Sue! :-)

What's Floid got in his barnet...??
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: LET EM IN

Many posters have argued that this version of the routine's greater than that made by Legs & Co., it's difficult to argue against that, to be honest, in this version, the dancers just seem more animated, but the stripy decor looks like one of those tents that you sometimes see where a road gang are working, & it just looks tacky, but that's not to say that I don't like this earlier version of the Let 'Em In routine, because I do very much.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: LET EM IN

There's some marvellous expressions on display here, although I think the verses are slightly repetitive - but how else could they been visualised or played out?

Score: 8.5 - a bonus point for the "Sister Suzie" and "Phil and Don" moments

DotD: I'm plumping for Sue as she has the sweetest range of reactions here - including so many heartwarming smiles.

Re: LET EM IN

A fantastic routine this and one of my favourites.I just love all the different expressions on the dancers' faces.A great moment is when Sue catches Lulu and Phil,just wonderful.I also love Lulu praying.I like the colourful set too,though it doesn't seem very sturdy.After Patti and Lulu close a door you can see the set swaying until Sue appears to steady it.Love McCartney's song too.
DotD:Lulu

Re: LET EM IN

bucksby
always been a fan of this Ruby Flipper routine a definate 9 and the lovely Sue is Dotd

Re: LET EM IN

PattiForPM
Some great comments lads, thanks.  I quite agree there are priceless moments in this performance and it's really tough to choose the DotD and so far Sue and Lulu are splitting the vote pretty evenly.  ADB can I assume your DotD vote has gone to Sue as you'd let her in if she knocked?

Re: LET EM IN

Suefan
Another enjoyable and innovative routine from Flick with some very good performances especially, as has been said already, from Sue and Lulu who carry this one all the way to an 8.

Re: LET EM IN

Doc
Dotd

Who else could it be!

Re: LET EM IN

PattiForPM
Thanks Doc and SF.  It strikes me that this Dance is a potentially very fertile source of avatars and Sue is looking particularly great in her scenes

Re: LET EM IN

VintageVideos
When I saw this performance for the first time several years ago, I thought it was rather boring. But it has certainly grown on me, and now I like it quite a lot. There's so much going on, and there are so many references to the lyrics, one can say for sure that Flick has made the most out of this song. Everyone's in great shape and it's hard to pick a DotD. Even "Phil & Don" really enhance this performance. The song is good too, maybe a little too long in its original form.

My rating: 9
DotD: it's a close call between Sue & Lulu for me, but in the end I went for Lulu

Re: LET EM IN

BeautifulBabs
like- colourscheme set and the big red spots
gets the best out of a not very dancy song
really pulls off the flipper male female theme
fun face pulling and some snogging
dotd sue
9.5

Re: LET EM IN

PattiForPM
Thanks again friends.  I took a while to appreciate this one too and I have to thank FloidFan and Ryan once again for persuading me to watch Ruby Flipper with more enthusiasm as i know I wasn't that keen on this when I first came on this site.  I think BB is absolutely spot on with the Girl-Boy dynamic working so well in this one and as he implies snogging was pretty much avoided in Pans People and Legs & Co performances (although Martin almost tried it on in "Sandy" and I almost wrote a letter of protest).

Re: LET EM IN

Gorgeous Daze
When I saw this RF routine and their one to Silly Love Songs two years ago it solidified the songs as my two favourites by Wings. The set does look as if it's been dragged from the Play School studio, probably by a man in a brown coat resembling Arthur English. No matter though, it just somehow works with the nursery-like patterns and wobbliness suiting the playfulness of the routine. I love the way it teases viewers' expectations with all the facial expressions and gestures ranging from solemnity to warm and intimate invites...particularly Sue's. But without the routine ever resolving into anything definite mood-wise. Cutey young Lulu was heaven sent to say her prayers at the mention of Martin Luther - despite the obvious mismatch! Most routines couldn't top that moment, but Sue's shocked and then 'let's keep this to ourselves' expressions on finding the romantically coupled Phil and Lulu do just that. Also like the peek-a-boos, and the running from door to door where, cartoon-like, the dancers are always just out of sight of one another. And with our host in mind I mustn't forget to mention Patti's bum wiggle as another plus.

I was going to say that just a little too long is spent on shots of the doors and door knobs with no Flippers. But I've changed my mind on repeat viewing as it creates micro suspense and doesn't waste time in what is a relatively long performance.

DOTD Sue.   9.5/10.

Re: LET EM IN

Floid Fan
That Bert Parks clip from the Miss America pageant is hilarious. Wonder who did his choreography? Had to be Terrie Scobie, surely.
Well, an interesting Ruby Flipper routine this week. I'm a Macca fan, and this is a song from his high watermark Wings period when he had two number two hits (this plus the earlier Silly Love Songs) before finally getting his big number one with Wings the following year. And wasn't Patti's little brother at the recording of this routine?
As has been pointed out, there aint much dancing on display, more like walking and running. Although the tune is a bit of a slow-paced one, I still reckon it could have been 'danced' to. What we also get is a lot of literal knocking on doors with a pair of hands (one hand each from a RF member) on the door and I'm still trying to work out which scene features the best pair of knockers. But alas,  my concentration is distracted by Floid's weird 'stars and stripes' hairstyle that he seemed to keep for this week and next in TOTP 1976 land. (this badger hairstyle also putting in another infamous appearance in the classic 'You Should Be Dancing' routine). Leaving the RF dressing up box  behind for a week, he has clearly found another way to grab attention. But this new look doesn't suit him.
I agree with Ryan that a nice feature of this routine is the close-ups of all the dancers and the little bit of comic acting that is going on (a nice touch), where Flick has injected the proceedings with a light and airy fun filled atmosphere. Highlights of the routine include Sue's facial expressions on opening the door on Phil and Lulu, Patti's backwards step bum wiggling, Floid's 'Are you Crazy? gesture when he comes through the door as the lyric annouces 'Auntie Gin' and Lulu's praying. Didn't she do something like this in 'Heaven's Missing an Angel?' I like the running bits between the doors too as it actually looks a slightly complicated bit of choreography, well executed.
As a couple of people have also said, what a contrast in tone and atmosphere to the bloody awful, dark, Dickensian and funereal 'tubleweed rolling through town' Legs version of the same song at the end of the year.
8 out of 10 and DOTD Floid.
Carl

Re: LET EM IN

Thanks again FF and GD.  I agree Floid's hair markings look as if they were applied by a road-crew or passing seagulls (sorry Doc)  but do not prevent him from performing well in this Dance.  Also the more I watch this the more I think Phil is looking a little too pleased with himself, perhaps anticipating the clinch with Lulu scene

Re: LET EM IN

Not my favourite Wings song by any stretch and I do find both interpretations a little irritating in conception (Shut that door!).
However, this summer routine is warm and bright compared to the dark and chilly winter version.
Suzie embraces her name check with relish and this could be the last time Miss Menhenick is referred to in that way, until Batesy introduces her final ever dance for Top of the Pops. All the little intricacies are so well worked here, I'm going to give 8.5/10 and DOTD Sue.

Re: LET EM IN

PattiForPM
Thanks again Mr Hurll.  I have to agree this is not Macca's finest hour with Wings.  I was a Venus and Mars and Band on the Run man myself and his pinnacle song was Maybe I'm Amazed in my book but Let Em In is certainly listenable.  The Ruby Flipper Jewel in the Crown award is still with this performance but it's close so are there any more comments?