LET EM IN

Re: LET EM IN

JEZ
i much prefer this interpretation on let em in than the xmas one ,of course i realise that flick had to come up with something different the second time around ,and what she did on the second routine was probably all she could do with a song that has the same slow beat throughout ,saying that i dont mind the song at all ,score for this one is 7.5 ,im finding it very hard mr p to pick a dancer ,i was gonna pick patti for wiggling her bum ,or lulu for mouthing certain words ,sue for varoius choreography moves ,so in the end ive decided i cant pick one individual dancer ,i noticed my friend carl mentioned teri scobles choreography in his post ,and its reminded me that ive seen a pic of some of teri's dancers on the pop show ,pop gospel ,and the bloke looks just like floid ,i must ask sue if she knows if floid ever appeared on itvs pop gospel
JEZ
LNV

Re: LET EM IN

LNV
Let us out!! It could be called with the way the Flippers knock frantically on those doors. Another lopsided too literal piece from Ms Colby.  Yet I am at a loss as to how else this could have been better presented:  The doors are de rigueur , and are used for both dance showcases of this languorous song with its too heavy beat. Mr  McCartney on his funny-fags again resulting often in lyrics that are trite and daft and often outright meaningless; but always saved by McCartney’s self awareness of just having a laugh as here on a quiet Sunday afternoon with folks knockin’ on his door. Thankfully he has moved on from his Beatles days, it is not the Beatle-head fanatics outside but the select famous few and family who call at his door now. It is the ‘70’s with oil shocks and three day weeks and of course the just as de rigueur strikes. Gone is the lurve-able Liverpudlian Paul [As sung “All youse need is Lurve.”] but the older and business savvy Macca: Yes the dream is over as someone once said.

The routine is certainly bright enough, well lit and trying to be gaily coloured, well sorta the dried blood stain hued spots on the doors are off putting to me, what a naff colour really. This is the 70’s let us not forget and against the economic doom that knocks at the country’s door we must all do our best to be as merry and cheerful as can be; even if that means a spliff or two is required to get us through the day. In another year from now this still optimistic hangover from the Sixties will look so quaint and cartoonish in its innocence as the musical forces of darkness take centre stage: Anarchy in the UK!  And economically too everyone is aware that “Labour isn’t working.” Oh my how ‘I Wish’ that the men from the IMF hadn’t arrived on our shores to tell us that all the money’s gone!

It is a brave show that the Flippers put on and one can almost begin to believe that all is well with the world, truly a golden moment of the scorching summer of ’76 as Phil and Lulu are framed romantically in the doorway. But after many more viewings on this version of ‘Let ‘Em In’ I am liking the cool and winter’s  gloom of the Legs outing, it is more honest; yes warts ‘n’ all if like PattiforPM the camera gets too close to the ladies unmade-up faces for one’s liking.

7/10 A good try by all to make merry but where be Rosie? That comes at the end of the same year, when the climate has changed politically, musically and indeed the actual weather itself. Young Lulu is as sweet as ice cream to look upon, with her vanilla hair and  for me a certain baby-faced blandness. Sue and Patti her grown up sisters-in-dance play the character parts, Sue as she listens in at the door and opens it to reveal the clinch of many a man’s dream to then close the door knowingly on the Phil and Lulu liaison, just what Sue knows is left to our imagination.  Patti wiggles as she is either opening or shutting a door, which from my past comments you could say it is appropriately ambivalent..?

DotD: Sue. Her smile is radiant, her cameo acting better than you would expect from a ‘mere dancer’ type of Gal. Though the finger to nose/mouth gesture inescapably reminds me of someone looking to pick their nose. Sorry if that offends but I am known for the occasional ‘snotty-comment’.

Re: LET EM IN

PattiForPM
Thanks Jez and LNV.  The changing Let Em In reflecting the changing social climate; an interesting notion LNV.  Being a young teen in the early and mid 70s in London's deepest suburbia I must say all that hardship and financial strife seemed a long way away for me.  This was indeed one of Sue's Oscar-worthy performances in my opinion.  Can't recall if SueFan and I mentioned it in our age-old Oscars Thread but perhaps we should have done.  Oh and I've never heard of that "Pop Gospel" Show Jez, was it really a Christian Pop Show with dancers?

Re: LET EM IN

Suefan
I don't think we did P4pm, although I seem to recall that the dressing gowned, wyncette nightied, water bottled number received an unsuccessful nomination in the costume category, only to be ruled out as constituting a potential fire hazard !

Re: LET EM IN

JEZ
Pop gospel mr p was another of muriel youngs attempts to entertain the younger generation of viewers ,only with this show instead of it being pop based ,she tried to bring some gospel music to the screen ,the show featured berni flint and garth hewitt nearly every week of its 16 weeek run ,but guests like ,cliff richard,dana,nutshell etc made guest apperances ,one series was directed by mickey dolenz,and ms scoble got the job on both series of choreographing the TSD's on the first series ,and a change of name for the dancers to Revelation for the second series,i think with the show being gospel music ,and all the artists were mainly white ,either muriel young or teri scoble decided they needed a couple of black people on the show ,and the dancers included 2 white girls ,i black guy and a black girl ,i take it we are still ok to use the word blaack ,only i dont want to be seen using some word that is not now politaclly correct

Re: LET EM IN

Lookmacinanger
Wonderful track from Wings, the rhythm of the song is better captured in the Legs and Co version at Xmas 76 IMHO, but this Ruby Flipper interpretation has a different approach in that it provides lighter and more humourous moments.
Floid may have been helping out with the set as he seems to have got his hair spray painted or done it for a bet! 7/10.
Dotd Sue

Re: LET EM IN

Sorry P4PM I saw your post on this after I noticed my vote wasn't registered.

Yes Sue can knock on my door as DOTD

Re: LET EM IN

Doc
An ultra literal routine but it manages to stay interesting throughout thanks to "Sister Suzie". An 8.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: LET EM IN

Mikey
I'm afraid i'm on the fence with this one, and actually prefer the legs and co version. I think its the set with its contrasting spots, stripes and circles in danger of giving me a headache, and then on top of that the fuzzy effect each time the bell rings. I'm also confused by the contrast between the serious bits such as Sue discovering Lulu and Phil and the larking about from Floyd and why are not seeing much of Patti at all?. Perhaps a better narrative would have been useful, but no we get wide shots of the dancers walking through doors (one of which seems a wee bit unsteady) and DLT sums it up well, confusing.

The redeeming factors for me are Lulu being all sweet and innocent (well at least at the start ) and Sues reaction to Lulu and Phil after eavesdropping, more of this would have been great.

6/10 DOTD Lulu

Re: LET EM IN

Old Grey Whistler
You have to feel a bit for Flick, having to come up with two different routines to what is almost an undanceable song.  This version manages to inject some humour into the performance and so is my preferred version although the doors were rather less sturdy than on the Legs version.
It was perhaps helpful to Flick that she was able to use the references to Sister Suzie and Phil (and Don) and I liked Lulu's Martin Luther moment. The end result is a dance routine with no dancing but which is still enjoyable to watch, so my score is 8.75 out of 10. Dancer of the day is Sue who is hamming it up nicely with her various facial expressions.

Re: LET EM IN

PansLegs
Not the most dynamic of tracks to have to provide a visual for and I don't suppose there's much else that could have been done although it's been taking very literally with the doors. Not a dance routine in the usual sense so DotD is more like 'best door opener' in this case and I'd say that honour goes to Sue. There's a few good moments but not really enough to sustain the full 3 minutes of a rather dull song. 5

Re: LET EM IN

Dancer
This song was beautiful when it was first released.  It was the second single from Wings at the Speed of Sound and is a true classic.  I would always like to know if Paul McCartney was happy with his records being danced to by the TOTP dancers and if it helped them go top 3.

This dance was truly fantastic and I could watch it constantly.  It is a "feel good" routine and Flick did marvellous here.  All of the dancers were really good.  Phil's hair was not greased back for this routine which had him go slightly up the rung of my ladder and they all fitted their outfits perfectly.  I will award this dance ten out of ten and the best dancer goes to Sue.

Re: LET EM IN

Dancer
Another comment I would like to add on this one too is that Billy Paul recorded this song a year later and made the bottom 20.  I would have liked Legs & Co to have danced to this as he did a very good cover (as he did with all classics including Elton's Your Song).  Billy's version ran for a good length of time and there is about three different versions out there.

Re: LET EM IN

The Rubberband Man
Plenty of doorbell ringing and door knocking going on…. And not a Jehovah Witness in sight

The props man from Crossroads has been hired to provide a series of shaky doors for everyone to open and shut, in a routine that hinges on it being more of a performance than a dance.

It’s wonderful to have a routine that’s brightly lit, has close ups of the Flippers, and doesn’t spoil our view of the dancers with video FX’s, the FX’s being kept to visually simulate the doorbell ringing.

DOTD would have gone to Lulu, but the Phil thing was such a shocking and an unwanted revelation – what are you doing girl ????
Instead, DOTD goes to Sue, who we thank for revealing Lulu’s indiscretion, and also for the fun approach she takes – I really love her friendly, saucy and shocked expressions all the way through.

Re: LET EM IN

Everything'sRosie
I've always loved Let 'em In as a song, both the Macca version and the Billy Paul cover; such a simple and original idea. Likewise I like both dance routines for it too, though until recently the Legs version was far more familiar to me. However, this Ruby interpretation is better. Very colourful and fun, and the girls are so loveable, especially Lulu's prayer and Sue's eavesdropping. Was this really forty years ago!
DotD: Sue
Marks: 8/10

Re: LET EM IN

AC/PD
Credit to Flick and her cohorts for making the seemingly boring task of consistently opening and closing doors anything but. The initial camera meander is an initial asset through a trippy trip towards and away from hinged points of entry with some of the red and cream colour schemes so garish that one half expects Zippy and George to answer one of them. As it is, the doorbell sound is the one heard when visiting the less puppety duo of fellow Thames partners George & Mildred in Hampton Wick.
At no point do us the viewers get to actually cross any of the doorways. For us, it's a case of Keep 'Em Out as Sister Susie leads the Flipper parade of McCartney friends and heroes. The frustration at being denied entry is increased by being enticed to do so in such easily swayed manners. With dancing largely left indoors, Let 'Em In provides a good opportunity for the dancers to show their visually expressive sides. Lulu seems to be the sleepwalker most in need of comfort, a call answered fastest by Phil who's on hand to offer reassurance, much to Sue's shock-horror astonishment.
This might be a case where the door-knocking sequel is too plane to supercede the original.

7/10
DOTD: Lulu Everly

Re: LET EM IN

Legsfan
This has always been my favorite Ruby Flipper routine and I think that it has a more positive feel to it than the Legs and Co version. I'm glad this one survived the wiping otherwise we may have had to use our imaginations which I'm sure wouldn't have come close to the excellence of this routine. This is a very literal routine with all the doors, but personally I think that the literal routines are always the best! All the Flipper gang are on top form in this one and I think the choreography has been done to an extremely high standard, thanks Flick! The only thing wrong with this routine is the length! why couldn't there have been a double length routine just this once, but if I play it back to back it does the trick. Lulu's part was exceptionally great and I must say that Sue catching Phil and Lulu is just brilliant!
Rating: 10/10!
DOTD: Lulu

Re: LET EM IN

PattiForPM
Legsfan wrote
The only thing wrong with this routine is the length!
  Thanks again for your attention and enthusiastic comments LF.  Just to say that at about 3:20 this is a relatively long Dance as far as the Troupes go, even if it flies by due to it's brightness and fun quotient

Re: LET EM IN

PattiForPM wrote
 Just to say that at about 3:20 this is a relatively long Dance as far as the Troupes go, even if it flies by due to it's brightness and fun quotient
Incidentally, the Legs & Co Xmas version was 36 seconds longer, the longest of all the proper Legs routines at 3.56 mins. I wonder what the longest Pans was ?

Re: LET EM IN

VintageVideos
My Sweet Lord, 4.05 mins.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red