Quantcast

LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Old Grey Whistler
LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD
Original Release Date:  30/04/1978
Troupe: Legs & Co + Floid
Dancers: Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosemary, Sue & Floid
Links: – Blog: http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1124
Dailymotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mcn1s_legs-co-let-s-go-disco-the-stud-30-04-1978_school

The Stud is what’s known in ‘the business’ as a sexploitation film, starring Joan Collins and Oliver Tobias, and is based on a novel by Joan’s sister, Jackie. It was produced by Ron Kass who was married to Joan at that time. I rather think that Ms. Collins didn’t have to audition too hard for this role!
It’s not really my cup of tea and was widely panned by most film critics, but by contrast the soundtrack is not bad at all so long as you like disco music. It includes classic songs from 10CC and Hot Chocolate as well as plenty of other popular songs from the time. Forum favourite, Tina Charles also contributes. The album would reach No.2 on the UK album charts.

Legs & Co performed TOTP routines to two of the songs from the album - Car Wash and Let’s Go Disco. Two others, Boogie Nights and Lets All Chant were also in the film but left off the album soundtrack.

I wasn’t a fan of the TOTP version of LGD which was little more than a 1981 style support dance but this film version, which preceded it, makes for better viewing I think. Unfortunately Legs and Co are obscured a little at times by the crowd of extras and the shots of the band, however we still get to see a reasonable amount of them. The cameramen are bobbing around like crazy men, and on occasions seem too close, which makes viewing difficult at times, but I imagine the idea was to immerse the viewer into the disco rather than to showcase the dancing, and it probably looks better on a cinema screen than it does on a PC.  I particularly like the brief combo between Floid and Gill.

Lulu seems to be wearing her outfit from ‘Fanfare For The Common Man’ (minus the hat) and Patti and Gill are wearing variations on their ‘Everybody Dance’ costumes.
Flick performed the choreography but neither she nor Legs & Co received an official credit. It was filmed in London at a private members only, celebrity frequented nightclub called 'Tramp', which was co-founded by Jackie Collins husband, Oscar Lerman.
I think this is better than the TOTP version but probably not as good as the other dance routine they performed in the film. I will score it 7 out of 10 and await your ratings.

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Everything'sRosie
Thanks for the upload OGW. Although I agree the crowd get in the way it was, as you suggest, more about a nightclub scene than showcasing Legs and Co. I think the girls look gorgeous here, and the Beeb's wardrobe department has been raided as we've seen those threads before. Maybe the girls were allowed to grab favourite outfits for themselves. I'm almost tempted to get a copy of The Stud from Ebay off the back of this, as it was shot on 35mm film and we're used to seeing the girls only on videotape. Film, of course, has the potential of being upgraded to hi-definition, though the chances of a creaky old Joan Collins vehicle from the 1970s getting a hi-def release is virtually nil. Still, with Legs captured on film for posterity who knows what the future might bring.
I think this warrants 8/10

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Any appearances away from TOTPs for Legs & Co in my book should always be looked on as a bonus, and the two Stud offerings are certainly that. I agree with OGW, that the other performance in the film is the superior one, but this isn't to far behind.

As our host points out 3 of the costumes have been seen on TOTPs and id like to know how the costumes for this were chosen. I assume Patti & Gill really liked the recently worn `Everybody Dance` costumes and they requested them specially for this. What is surprising though is Gill's decided to keep faith with the accompanying neck-wear Dickie, yet Patti's done a Alex Higgins and dispensed with hers. As for Lulu, well maybe she liked the free and easy baggie look from the previous Christmas and sort out the `Fanfare` garb just for this.

But predictably the winning costume for this watcher is Sue. Those tight off-white disco trousers rival the ones worn by Lulu in the 1979, `Aint No Stoppin Us Now` routine. Id wager one or two strips of the proverbial sticky tape was also used to aid the boob tube top stay in place. Also another outing for the sadly soon to be pilfered locket pendent for Sue in this.

Talking of outings, here is another one for Floid who as ever makes us all envious. By the way, hes superb in the other routine.

A couple of things to watch out for. The double-take look by Sue early doors. I wonder what she sees. Also watch one of the dancing men walk backwards into another man towards the end, left of screen, though i think hes got Rosie on his mind.

Yep both this and the TOTPs version are not brilliant in terms of getting good looks at the dancers, mainly due to the fact that the band is supposed to be the main focus, but id say this version is the more watchable.

I will award this a generous `8.75 out of 10`. Just so good to see our six gals really enjoying themselves and looking super-hot at the disco to boot.

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

I like this one too.  Yes the visuals are far from perfect but I love the way the Troupe exudes fun.  The ladies all look great and Floid does a good supporting job too.  I have to single out Sue too; she really knocks this one out of the park with her look and her enthusiasm and deserves my DotD and a whole lot more.  8/10

BTW I did buy The Stud DVD for this and I can't let this Thread go without once again whining about my inability to track down the Stud Soundtrack TV advert which included Legs & Co doing a little dancing and looking great as I recall.  I pray one day someone finds it otherwise I'll just have to keep rattling on about it!

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Everything'sRosie
PattiForPM wrote
BTW I did buy The Stud DVD for this and I can't let this Thread go without once again whining about my inability to track down the Stud Soundtrack TV advert which included Legs & Co doing a little dancing and looking great as I recall.  I pray one day someone finds it otherwise I'll just have to keep rattling on about it!
I can't remember that advert at all. Would love to see it, hopefully it's a curio which might crop up on YT one day. As mentioned in my post above I did venture onto ebay, a copy of The Stud for buying of. Crikey, must be a rarity as the few on offer start at about twenty quid. I've got used to paying about £2.99 for old dvds! It's even had a blu-ray release which surprised me. I'll have to go looking for it in junk shops, car boots, jumble sales etc.

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Suefan
My understanding is that the filming of both of these Stud film dance numbers didn't take more than an afternoon, so one can make certain allowances to the camera crew.  Even so its top work (well 8.5) down the disco from all concerned, with Sue especially stunning in silver and dancing with a verve that puts even the 1953 Final well and truly in the shade!

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

There is a trailer for the film and soundtrack on YouTube, but obviously not the one that you are referring to as it doesn't feature Legs & Co at all.

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

PattiForPM
Yes I've seen the Trailer OGW but you're right that I'm looking for a different clip; it is the Ronco ad for the Soundtrack LP and this pic from our archive reminds me most of the Legs apparel, especially the Patti outfit which I remember best for some unknown reason!

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Legsfan
I remember this film was on T.V. for Londoners a little while back. I recorded it just for the Legs & Co and I'm glad I did!
Although the song is unbearable, I really do like how much screen time the girls get in this film which is always a plus. I do think this version is better than the TOTP one especially that they are looking much better!
Rating: 8/10

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

AC/PD
"Legs Co Disco, Legs Co Disco !" Little more than a couple of years down the line, this scene would have looked significantly out of date but, as with ABBA, the passage of time worked its wonders in sorting the wheat from the chaff, resulting in the costumes, fashions and musical style assuming classic status.
It's so cheery, carefree and without moodiness - the happiness is contagious. THe usage of film offers the advantage of greater realism, ably assisted by close proximity from lower angles as befits a crowded dance floor. We're participating and getting as close to Legs & Co as would a fellow dancer. It's crowded so there's less chance of seeing choreographed moves and a greater chance of seeing the ladies dancing carefree and not, despite the eye-catching costumes (did Lulu have the boots on too?!) the leggy six being as much a part of the crowd as it was ever possible for them to be. Pleasing and exciting.
8/10
DOTD: Silver Sue

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for all of your replies so far. This performance seems to have gone down quite well. I am still hoping to receive a few more ratings though.

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

It's always great to see these appearances the girls do on things away from TOTP's and this is a real gem, and as mentioned by others, the fact that it's on film and not video makes it that little bit extra special too. Can't say i'm a fan of the song, or the TOTP's routine either to be honest, and even though the girls are sometimes a little obstructed by the others around them i really do like this one, partly because it really does have that disco feel to it.

Rating 8/10

DOTD I'm almost tempted to vote for Rosie because of the beauty she radiates in this, but in all fairness it has to be Sue

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Gorgeous Daze
Stuff TOTP for once, let's go to a real disco! I can't help questioning though the Real musicianship when the house band carry one instrument between them. But whatever, on this occasion no grounds for complaint that it takes a while to become a Legs Co disco and it's appreciated that when it did space was cleared before an egalitarian tide of clubbers again engulfed them, which itself made for a good atmosphere and the camerawork really puts us in the sweaty thick of it among the girls.

It's red-hot Patti all the glittery way in the best costume stakes guys! Well either that or it Whittles down to minimalist tendency. The girl in the tight jeans projects the most verve though, natural hairstyle bouncing away the best too. I like the whole assortment of disco clobber - it's as if they've arrived straight from Shepherd's Bush having raided the wardrobe after an invite arrived out of the blue - while finding it surprising to see BBC property turning up...

A little mention from me as well for Gill's delightful headshake-off with her old friend.

'ate to follow the herd but it's another 8/10 and like the band say the night is still young.

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks to GiLuRo and GD for their ratings. This should be quite high up in the score table however for it to feature we still require another rating from someone. There are some of you who have contributed previously in this series but have not yet rated this one, so hopefully that elusive tenth score is not far away.

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

VintageVideos
I'm afraid I'm not as enthusiastic as some of the other correspondents. The song is dreadful to begin with, and the performance features much too much of the Real Thing. The dancing is faultless yet rather basic. On the positive side, the girls seem to enjoy themselves. But I don't think I'll watch that one again soon.

When rating these miscellaneous dances, I try to imagine how I'd rate such a performance had it been in the TOTP studios. There's no way it would have been more than

5 / 10
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks very much for your rating Vin, I really appreciate it

Re: LET'S GO DISCO - THE STUD

Mikey
(Cue Duran Duran) Girls on film....girls on film. An interesting clip here from a movie i've neither seen nor intend to see. Lets look at the positives, it looks great, and so do the girls, a real sense of being there in the thick of the action, and of course Legs are giving an enthusiastic performance in unusual circumstances with a part rehearsed routine and part dancing with the others. The clip seems quite long for a movie scene without any dialogue, getting their moneys worth from The Real Thing no doubt. Its not a straightforward routine unfortunately, edits every few seconds, shots of the band, shots of the other dancers, all rather chaotic, and thus i have to limit my score to a 6/10, plus the song is not great, fine for bit of movie filler i guess but nothing special.