LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

LETS GO ROUND AGAIN  Dance/performance number 217 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Average White Band  reaching number 12 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  08/05/80  Duration of dance 2.42 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 197
Sue      196
Rosie    194
Patti     191
Gill       190
Lulu      187
A link to the dance Blog-http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1549

The Average White Band will always have a certain affinity with Legs & Co fans, as it was they who first provided music for our scintillating six to dance to in 1976. 3½ years on, Legs & Co have developed in to the well oiled, slick dancing machine we see in this routine. I think the host Peter Powell's reaction at the end tells it all, a look of `wow, these girls are good`. Not to sure about Petes comment before the routine though, saying hes never seen them so scantily dressed. He must be referring to Sue & Gillian's brief two piece outfits. Why did only those two get them ? Surely the routine would have been even better with all six attired like that. Maybe it was a case of Flick thinking that would be pushing it to far, with the blue rinse Whitehouse brigade in full flow around that time.

I quite like the sparse set with a few leaves blowing about, but wouldn't it have been even better with one of them large dancing areas that were used way back in the olden days 10 years previously. At the end of this, the girls finish up marching on the spot as it were with the stage at an end.

I really like this song, as i do most music in 1980, what with that and all the slow hip gyrating, this particular routine is amongst my favourites of this year.

Rating--`10 out of 10`, no danger of me awarding less then that.

DOTD--Another easy peasy choice, `Sue` by a country mile. Love the way the girl showed of those abdominal muscles ___________________________________________________________________

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

Suefan
Together with 'Silver Lady' this is my favourite Legs routine.  And this time all that Indiana rain has gone, as have those bead skirts, as the girls perform a sizzlingly hot and sexy routine in a sizzlingly hot and sexy range of swimwear that gets the temperature rising!
The mirrored movements play well and fit the theme of the song nicely, while Sue and Gill in their skimpy bikinis are more, much more, than a real treat.  They are absolutely gorgeous!  I could have lived without the leaves/tinsel whatever floating about but I rather like the slightly restricted stage area as it concentrates attention on the two leading ladies!
Last week Gill was my Dotd but this time it has to be Sue with the sexiest dance ever seen on the show which, if it was up to me would score 100, not just 10!

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

This is an enjoyable routine but there are better DANCES than this.If it weren't for the bikinis this would be a very ordinary routine.9/10
DotD:Gill

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

I'm somewhere between SueFan and SuPaLu on this one so I guess I'd be SuPaFan    Seriously though I've always been a onepiece guy with it's functionality and promise rather than the overt gifts of a bikini but that all changed when I saw this Performance and there's no denying the charm of the two bikini clad beauties.  I also think the Dance is rather good but I don't find it quite as creative as some of Flick's finest efforts either.  The song is pretty good and I like the elevated stage too.  I do wish the ladies at the back like Lulu and Patti had been able to come to the fore once or twice but this is a rather minor gripe and overall this is a fine visual feast so I'm giving 9.5/10.  DotD is definitely between Gill and Sue and in the end that lithe Menhenick form factor wins the day with me (although I would say I now owe Gill some consideration after depriving her of my vote despite very strong outings for the last two weeks)

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

This is the sort of dance routine you get when one forgets to don their dancing costumes, or that's how it appears at first sight, with the girls in just their underwear, it seems very 'Hill's Angels', all that's missing is Benny Hill himself, being chased by the girls, & their partners chasing after them, going around the stage, for the sake of some kind of literal theme, to accompany the soundtrack.
There's nothing else really worth mentioning, except for the falling confetti, presumably enabled by a wind generator, but I'm not sure what sort f precipitation it's meant to be, it seems our of season for autumn falling leaves.
I like the Sue leadership here, but I'd have liked to see all dancers get some time at the front of the dance formation.

7/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

I certainly like this routine and I'm not complaining, but for me some of the outfits over the last few weeks have created a bit of a flesh feast, don't get me wrong the girls always look lovely but I think sometimes a bit more covering can be just as sexy!

Having said that a nice routine despite the leaves/confetti blowing around.

Rating 7/10

DOTD Gill, she looks fantastic!

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

brandonb
10/10 DOTD: Sue

For me the Average White Band are a one hit wonder - "Pick Up The Pieces" was a fantastic record and captured that funk sound perfectly. Problem is nothing else I've heard by them has passed muster much of it being well... very AVERAGE. This is no exception. A record that's instantly forgettable for me anyway.

Not so this dance routine which burns itself into your eyeballs and again is another scorcher. Here the movement is fast and the girls at the top of their game are perfectly synchronized and dazzle with some pretty amazing footwork IMO. It must have taken quite a bit of practice to get everyone as tight on that as it turned out to be. Perhaps this fine technical team work suited Sue and for me as with others here she's my DOTD. This routine is perhaps a bit heavy on that technical edge and so consequently possibly different to some of Flick's other routines that rely more on costume and expression than being technical - but this doesn't bother me and is more than made up for in it's brilliance. I loved it and the girls... I had no problems with bathing suits either - in some ways (obvious sexiness aside) they enhance being able to see those moves in detail rather than concealing them with glitter, feathers and tinsel as is more normal - so anyway overall 10/10 was inevitable from me. Loved it.

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

Funny isn't it. The Popscene guys (music fans) who are not usually to endearing to our dancers, yet to a man they all are giving this routine the thumbs up. Yet a couple of our guys (dancer fans) are not feeling so generous in their assessment of this routine.

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

brandonb
Perhaps it's the bikini's - too much flesh makes some feel uncomfortable and feel they ought not to be too positive (not to be seen to be enjoying it too much ;)). Mind you you might expect to see the same effect at Popscene if that were it. But can't really think of anything else that might be causing the difference? Maybe need to wait and see more ratings here for this to even out a bit more... For me the bikini's weren't a problem.

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

The bikinis for me were a problem, in the fact they only had two of them attired that way instead of all six.

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

After much soul searching I have decided I'm ok with the bikinis

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

brandonb
The bikinis for me were a problem, in the fact they only had two of them attired that way instead of all six.
I'd be inclined to agree with that. Perhaps you've hit on the reason why we aren't getting 10/10 across the board?!

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

brandonb
PattiForPM wrote
After much soul searching I have decided I'm ok with the bikinis
I'm sure that must have involved watching this routine many times over to make sure. In fact maybe I should go back and double check again to make sure I really don't have a problem with the bikinis?

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

Just to confirm..... I've always been ok with those bikinis :)

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

PaulF
One of my favourites, perfect 10/10. Out of the six beauties my choice for Dotd is:

Paul

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

Nothing average about this band of friends but I do doubt that the white is purely coincidental. Their lightly ethereal breezy beach-wear idyll is ideal for a song that rides a wave of hope soaring above the home of the singer's natural vocal range. But who knows? As the Argentinian welcome had crossed the Atlantic perhaps we're in Weston-Super-Mare on a good day. Oops - shouldn't reference the World Cup. The AWB were Scottish.

Enough of this joviality anyhow, this is seriously good. Poetry in motion shoaling from side to side in beautiful unison like a school of paradise fish from yonder sea. Bikinis audaciously to the fore, the only peeling off left permissible is one-by-one from the tight-knit body of dancers and it gives an extra sense of freedom to an already highly liberated dance. Turns, hip rotations and sundry moves are performed in slow motion against the tempo of the song, a shrewd and skillful technique bringing a lingering sensuality. I've decided it wouldn't be quite true to go the max because a slight frustration niggles, solidifying in the realisation that camera-time spent on backs could have been a close-up or two to compensate those in behind and their fans. But there's no denying it's top quality and among those I would use to impress the uninitiated.

DOTD Sue.   At her finest.  9.75/10

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

VintageVideos
The Average White Band provided the soundtrack for a trio of really great routines: Pick Up The Pieces, Queen Of My Soul and now Let's Go Round Again. The AWB's stunning mixture of soul and funk was featured best on their self-titled album and its successors "Cut The Cake" & "Soul Searching", all three indispensable for any serious lover of black music. Unfortunately they lost their touch in subsequent years, boosted by a change of label and producer - David Foster! - who was guilty of turning the AWB into a faceless and mediocre, indeed average, band with no discernible direction. The result - 1980's "Shine" - was an album of MOR mush which featured just a single stand-out track: "Let's Go Round Again". Whilst far-off from the funk of "Pick Of The Pieces", it was still a good disco record, even released as a 6 1/2 min 12'' single. Nevertheless, in my opinion, it is musically the weakest of the three AWB records that our troupes danced to.

The routine however, is better than "Queen Of My Soul" (which I love) and possibly even better than "Pick Up The Pieces". In fact, it's hard to find a niggle. Maybe it's just that I do not mind bikinis at all...? The lighting is good, the camera work is good, the dance has a nice and steady flow to it, the music is still good, the girls all look lovely, so what's not to like?

10 / 10

DotD: For me the DotD in this routine is Gill.

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

Another very well written piece as usual GD, although if I may be so bold you end with a contradiction in terms.  Sue at her finest is always a TEN !

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

mojo2007
I can't  give a top score to any dance where Patti is hidden away. Not much of Pauline either. Lets settle for   9 with the lovely Gill deserving a score.

Re: LETS GO ROUND AGAIN [May]

Old Grey Whistler
I do find it strange that only two of them are in bikini's. It almost gives me the impression that there was a mix up in the costume department, although I'm sure that wasn't the case. Even the one piece costumes don't look absolutely identical.
For some reason, I don't feel as enthusiastic as most of you do for this one. I agree that the girls all look great. I would like to have seen some close ups, and for the dancers at the back to have had a bit more of a look in. The dancing is fine but by Legs & Co standards not exceptional, and I think this is only memorable for their costumes. I do like the song though.
My score is 8 out of 10. Dancer of the day is Sue.