LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Old Grey Whistler
LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW
Original Broadcast Date:  20/01/1974
Troupe: Pans People
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise & Ruth
Link: http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=764

We are heading back to the Jack Jones show this week.  One thing that I must say straight away is that the quality of the clips from this series is superb. If some of the clips from other shows were in this condition then I’m sure they would be much more highly rated.
I don’t know much about Jack Jones but his website describes him as ‘one of the greatest singers of all time’ so I feel as though I have missed out. He sang the theme tune to ‘The Love Boat’ which was I’m sure a favourite among OFTD’s members. He is performing a concert in California in a couple of weeks if anyone can make it.
This catchy piece of music is by Buddy Miles. It wasn’t the first time that Pans had danced to his music as they performed to a couple of his compositions for ‘in concert’. It seems that when Flick had a free hand to choose the music, Buddy Miles was firmly on her playlist.

Out of all of the Miscellaneous dances, this one feels more like a TOTP performance than any other.
There is not a lot to dislike here. We get plenty of good close ups and each dancer has a good amount of camera time. The costumes are ideal for showcasing some good hip swivelling action. Ruth plays the role of lone striker up front very nicely while Dee Dee as wing-back gets forward to support the midfield where possible.
These multi level stages always look like an accident waiting to happen to me although this was Pans People, not Wakefield on a Friday night.
I am going in quite high with this one at 8.75 out of 10 – Now over to you.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

PattiForPM
I'm a little conflicted.  The outfits are right up there with the hottest these lovely Troupes have ever worn and all that wonderful long hair is to die for and the moves are great too.  I love the playfulness and the solos, duets and trios too.  The music is so so tiresome though; it almost dulls the lovely sheen on all the other action....but not quite!  It reminds me of one or two of the Two Rons dances in being so good despite very poor accompaniment.  I would so love to see Flick's video library but I don't think I'd want to share much of her music collection if these freelance examples are anything to go by.  Anyway I did enjoy this and it was very much sought after at one time and despite my aural pain I'm voting with my optical pleasure and awarding 9/10

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Suefan
I never did book that cruise on the 'Pacific Princess'.  If only Pans had been a part of the floating floor show what a treat it would have been.  As a confessed non-fan of black outfits I will make an exception in this instance.  Great hair and great close-ups as well, but the pseudo podia nature of the set limits interaction which probably contributes to the feeling that a very average piece of music isn't half going on.  However, I'm still at an 8 for this dance offering.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

When they were good, they were really good. This is quite magnificent and its difficult for me to come up with any negatives. Dance moves, costumes, camera work, lighting, close-ups, even the music doesn't irk me, i simply can't fault anything.  I rarely praise Babs on TOTPs but here shes an unstoppable dancing machine, shes really putting a shift in. Dunno if we do DOTD on here but the blonde bombshell would get my vote.

From the opening stare down from Louise to the look of nodding approval on Jack Jones face at the end (well he is on my copy), this in my book is a cast iron maximum `10 out of 10`. Infact im a little surprised my three cohorts before me haven't also succumbed to Max-ville.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Everything'sRosie
First of all, really good picture quality. Love the outfits and the hair. Very saucy too with all those wiggling hips and shaking bottoms. Energetic and fun and good use of the split level stage. The music is very tuneless though, such great effort deserved something much better. Very 1973.

This needs that Sneaky chap to do a makeover on it. With decent music it would be top marks but for now 8.5/10

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

MADMAX
The music grates a bit with me, but this number by Pans is spot on. Plenty of light to give good view of the girls, nice lively move's, nice smart outfits and as always the facial looks and expressions are great. Nice dance from the Pans girls    "9"

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

PansLegs
As I've said elsewhere, The Jack Jones Show afforded Pan's People with the best on screen credit the dance troupe ever had. A large caption over a silhouette of themselves, turning into a shot of them dancing to live orchestral accompaniment conducted by Joe Kloess during the opening sequence.

However, I believe the intro was probably the only section of the show where Pan's performed in front of the studio audience, with other appearances such as Life Is What You Make It (part 2) and even those with Jack being pre-recorded. There's plenty of video edits in this one (including a rather badly mistimed audio edit towards the end) and it would have been impractical and somewhat boring to be resetting things in front of an audience. But I can well imagine there was gathering of studio 'hangers-on' during the recording of this one!

It certainly ticks most of the boxes - great outfits, good selection of shots with close-ups, sexy moves etc. It's a great visual piece and it's no wonder it was highlighted in the Digging The Dancing Queens documentary along with 69 Freedom Special as examples of the raunchier side of Pan's People. As usual though, it retains class and is performed with a lot of fun unlike the sort of the thing that would be served up by Hot Gossip years later. There's obviously some hair extensions/wigs being employed by at least three of our dancers but that's just part of the costume and obviously the look that Flick wanted. The routine certainly provides visual impact as a memorable first spot in the first show of the series, even if the soundtrack is a little odd and somewhat repetitive although very contemporary. 9.5

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

PansLegs wrote
There's obviously some hair extensions/wigs being employed by at least three of our dancers but that's just part of the costume and obviously the look that Flick wanted.
Thats quite an interesting observation and something i must admit ive never considered at all whenever ive watched this. In my ignorance i never even knew hair extensions were prevalent back then and even more amazed that with all that head banging the extensions stayed in place during the performance. But you are quite correct, Ruth & Dee Dee certainly have longer thicker hair for this, but who is your third ? Babs i guess.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

PansLegs
RYAN wrote
Thats quite an interesting observation and something i must admit ive never considered at all whenever ive watched this. In my ignorance i never even knew hair extensions were prevalent back then and even more amazed that with all that head banging the extensions stayed in place during the performance. But you are quite correct, Ruth & Dee Dee certainly have longer thicker hair for this, but who is your third ? Babs i guess.
I believe so.

It's the same situation with Dee Dee in 69 Freedom Special. Personally I don't think it was necessary with either performance but it must be part of the look Flick wanted.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Mikey
Babs has probably just used rollers or similar.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Gorgeous Daze
These costumes are as dangerous as Jack Jones is safe (well as safe as a man can be who's had more wives than there are dancers) so here in 74 what a pity Pan's weren't handed this spot on his show as an opportunity to dance to a good helping of the glam rock they were denied by its dolled up practitioners being only too keen to take up the TOTP invite. Instead we get the likes of this nondescript brass-rock which should have been left behind in the previous decade's Light Entertainmentville and certainly grates away some of the enjoyment for me. Ironic that a subtle switch of an apostrophe for an I brings an antithetical stop-you-in-your-tracks mid-eighties classic from Talk Talk.

As everyone agrees this is very tick-box viewer-friendly. Classic Pan's rolling along at their best. The models-on-motorbikes look inc. voluminous hair is appreciated and those well-used hips and shoulders do it proud. Appropriately enough with the record not due till later in the year Louise and Dee Dee do the Almost Bump at one point.

This is a treat and it takes pretty unappealing music when the end still manages to bring with it a certain sense of relief. 8.5/10

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Mikey
Ah, back to the Jack Jones show (i wonder what the rest of the show was like) and Pans are in energetic mode this time.

There is a lot of variety involved if you look at these JJ shows as a whole but this one is straight down the line pure Pans fun and they know it. Lets see now, leather outfits, silver boots, loads of hair, great looks to camera, solo's, duets, its like i wrote a check list. I see some complaints about the music, to be honest it never bothered me (although i doubt I'll be checking out part 1), and the slightly frantic editing of the various bits is bit dizzying but I'm too busy immersed in the action to care.

9/10

PS those intro's Panslegs mentioned are rather lovely too

http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1852

Thanks for all your replies. There seems to be a lot of critics of the music but I quite like it.  My music taste has always been quite eclectic though Hoping still to receive some more reviews.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Old Grey Whistler
Just another plea to see if we can get any more reviews.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Legsfan
Apologies OGW.
It's always nice to see Pan's People doing something other than Top of the Pops and I must say that this routine was a very good one. Though the song wasn't really that good, the dancers were superb!
Rating: 8/10

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

mojo2007
spot on, music okay, dancers delightful

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks to Legsfan and Mojo for their replies.
Mojo - would you like to leave a score at all?

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

The Rubberband Man
Good quality vid of a fabulous dance sequence from the Pans gang. Great outfits and great moves - there’s even a bit of twerking going on from Dee Dee and Louise.
Terrible music though.
I wonder what Part 1 was like.

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

Old Grey Whistler
Part one goes something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7n2TWy2II

Re: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT (PART 2) - THE JACK JONES SHOW

The Rubberband Man
Old Grey Whistler wrote
Part one goes something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7n2TWy2II