LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December]

LIVING ON AN ISLAND Dance/performance number 191 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Status Quo  reaching number 16 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  13/12/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.31 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      173
Pauline 172
Rosie    169
Patti     168
Gill       166
Lulu      164
A link to the dance. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cfy1r_legs-co-living-on-a-island-totp-tx-13-12-1979_creation

Getting on for nearly five years since the last time a set of Totps dancers performed to Status Quo. Then it was to the high octane, fully charged, sexually driven `Down Down` a record that is vastly different to this offering from Messrs Parfitt & Rossi. A gentle song is given a loving touch by Flick as she gets all historical and dresses the girls up to represent certain periods from our sceptred isles history.

I think this is a really neat idea by Flick, shame we cant call the map of our island neat, looks like its a bit of a rush job that. Anyway who are our girls attired to look like ? Well Rosie is Britannia i think, or is she supposed to be Queen Bodica (pronounced Boadicea when i was at school), i think the former of these though. But the next historical Character to join played by Sue caused even more conjecture a few years back when this first came on the blog. I think my suggestion of Queen Guinevere, wife of the mystical King Arthur and lover of Sir Lancelot was about the best guess. They are joined by a rather large Queen Elizabeth played by chubby faced Lulu. It must be an optical illusion that, because under all the padding she is her normal svelte like figure. Just one small point of order on Queen Liz's arrival. If indeed Sue's character was a royal queen, even a mythical one and only a consort at that, she wouldn't bow or courtesy to another queen, protocol wouldn't allow that, so maybe she isn't who i thought she was or Flick didn't give a hoot about royal etiquette.

The next to join the fold is the lady with the lamp, Flo Nightingale. Gill is lumbered with this role in her dowdy dress and hardly any build up. What a forgettable 1979 its been for Gill, at least she gets a nice starring role very soon were hopefully she will pick up some Dotd votes. The 5th to burst on the scene is Patti in her aviators role. She has to be Amy Johnson and makes quite a din which gives the four from pre-history a bit of a fright. But whos this at number six ? Not sure who Pauline is playing, some kind of 60s Mary Quant kind of chick, but her arrival is enough for the others as they depart in horror at our mini skirted minxs dancing antics.

I think this whole thing is a little gem of a routine to a nice song. I really like the way the girls get into their characters especially Rosie & Lulu who display a range of facial expressions.

For DOTD. Im going for the well armed `Rosie`.

Rating. Its a little different i grant you, but very entertaining. Not max territory in my book, but im going to give it `9 out of 10` for ingenuity by the choreographer and splendid execution by the performers.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Click it and feel pride on listening to these words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQQyyMyTHa0

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

The Grinch has been absent a while but he's back.  I can't quite get into this performance I'm afraid.  I find the song a bit low key and the historical theme leaves me a bit cold even though the ladies do their level best to bring it to life.  The flat square map, the trying-to-billow clouds and the disguised ladies just don't work for me this time and I feel like a bit of a heel for this but I can't help it and I hardly ever watch this one to be honest.   I agree Rosie makes a fairly convincing ancient female warrior Queen and gets my DotD but I can only give this one 4/10 even if it loses me my British Citizenship for my lack of patriotism

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

I do like Flick's concept, which she and the girls translate well into a routine, but the song isn't one I would ever bother with in other circumstances while a limited budget means that the historical costumes look a bit drab although possibly a sparkly shiny BBC4 broadcast will perk them up a little.  So a steady 6.5 for this one with Good Queen Bess as the Dotd!

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Yes SF, any early contributors who have score rated this before the BBC4 showing may if they wish, amend their totals once they have viewed it on the box.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

PattiforPM
Yes I'm reminded that I never get to see the widescreen shiny BBC4 version on my 100 inch screen (actually it's a measly 37 but that's another story) but I don't think it would usually coax many more marks out of me although I do recall a few examples of big improvements cranking up the scores a little bit.  One day I'll offer one of you some dosh for your stash of TV recordings......

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Imagine what it'd be like, for Britain to be invaded by giant dancing ladies, dressed up n medieval costumes, by the end of their dance routine those of us based here on the largest of the Britosh Isles would've been squashed like grapes at the feet of the workers at the start of the wine manufacturing supply chains.
The dancing though, is very exquisite, & I like the interactions between Rosie, whom really owns this performance, & the other dancers providing quality support.
There should've been a sequel to this sequence, whereby they dance all over the world.

9/10

DotD a:-

Rosie

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Drat !! I should of stuck to saying it was Queen Boadicea, why i edged towards Britannia i dont know. Pretty pleased with my prediction it was Queen Guinevere though.  Thanks to Mike Read for naming the names at the end of the routine.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Colm
Unlike 1971's "Wedding March", Flick takes a chance to extend her pool of historical women to portray in a routine, to one of Status Quo's nicer tunes. And all the dancers seem to enjoy playing their roles, and carry out their costumes with grace and splendour.

Historical British Woman of the Day: Amy Johnson

(or if you prefer, Dancer of the Day: Patti)

Score: 9

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December]

I waited until seeing on the big screen to see if it looked any better - it didn't.
On the one hand i can sort of appreciate the idea of a romp through history featuring some of our greatest women.
In the end though i have to say it's just not my taste in wine.I'm off to watch 'Stuff Like That'.5/10
DotD:Pauline

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Well having now had chance to see this in BBC4 technicolour splendour I'm going to nudge my score up by a smidgen to a 7.
I do like the concept and I do like the girls acting, particularly Sue and Lulu for that, but the song just doesn't appeal.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Adorable Gillusion
7/10   DOTD...Rosie

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Gorgeous Daze
The rough-hewn Island 'neath Play School clouds makes this a front runner for worst set of the year and I imagine YMG is the least impressed of us all and hope that friends on the south coast survived the cut. The Quo threw a curve ball with the song and Flick continues the unexpected in using it as an unlikely source of humour. The routine's strength lies in surprise and expectation and it works very well as, in common with them all, the disposable performance it was meant to be. Knowing the Island story means subsequent viewings are never as enjoyable, but it still deserves credit as quite a well-painted micro-history and alternative take on the lyrics.

It's fun noting the reactions to each new epoch. No woman is an island so Boudicca is glad of the company of a friend in the form of Guinevere and they engage in some courtly dancing. They show deference when in floats regally the Good Queen of all England with the heart of a lion. Commoner Florence gets low-key acceptance and little camera attention. The motorized age arrives with Amy getting 'high' playing aeroplanes, initially to consternation as life gets noisier but the march of progress is soon embraced. But Pauline (I think she's a generic groovy chic rather than a specific person) ushering in the swinging sixties, perhaps resurrecting some B/W Pan's, is a step too far. There's no going back and they emigrate! When Anita turns up in a burka I think I'll join 'em.

Fun and imaginative. Difficult to assess in relation to most but for my money not of the same quality as the better routines. 6.75/10  DOTD Sue with her under-stated dignity.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Andeebee
MMMM

Not a great track, but I can see the fun side of this, but I'm not really taken with it to be honest.

It looks clumsy and put together quickly as it was wind down time to Xmas.

Above all very tongue in cheek with powerful woman down the ages, nonetheless the routine wasn't powerful enough for my taste.

Scores: 6/10

DOTD: the scrummy blonde Sue

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

PaulF
Not a favourite, not a fan of the girls over dressing up and not a fair share for some as Patti and Pauline only appeared for a short while at the end. 6/10

DOTD Rosie for doing a full shift.
Paul

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December]

The one thing about our ladies with there routines. They would be totally different and imaginary every week. We have our ladies in acting mould. We have a badly drawn map of Britain on the studio floor. The first of our ladies to be seen to dance on this map. Is Rosie who is dressed as the warrior queen Boadicea and carrying a spear and shield. And does a nice solo, she then is joined by a blond haired Sue as Guinevere. Then they do a nice duet together. And then Lulu come on as good queen Bess. Who does a nice dance bit with Rosie and Sue. Then we get Gill as Flo Nightingale holding her lamp. We then get the swooping and flying Patti in her flying helmet as Amy Johnson. Who seemed to be having a good time being a aeroplane. And last of all Pauline as the swinging sixites Mary Quant, with them sixites moves to finish the routine off. As the other historical character rush off the set. With the horror of these modern movement. As Sue rush off, she nearly gets hit in that beautiful face by Pauline.

So for the Dotd will go to Rosie.

The score must be 9 out of 10.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December]

VintageVideos
Well, I do like the song, and I like the idea behind the routine. Unfortunately it doesn't really work. Obviously Flick couldn't quite make up her mind whether the girls had to be actors or dancers. They're trying too hard to be both but it looks absurd and even a bit clumsy. So the score must be

7 out of 10

DotD: I never really saw anyone else as the DotD here than Pauline, who puts on quite a show. Maybe she has the benefit of being on view for the shortest time in the routine.
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December]

Old Grey Whistler
When I first saw that Legs were dancing to this song, I had visions of them performing on a tropical island set. I certainly wasn't expecting anything quite like this, but I do quite like the concept.
The obvious flaw to me is that half of the troupe are seen only briefly. Gill and Patti's talent seems to be wasted although Pauline makes the most of her 20 second cameo at the end. The dancing is fairly simple for dancers of this standard, and I suspect they were busy learning their dances for the Xmas shows at this time, and probably didn't spend too much time on this.
The costumes are quite good though and the girls seem to be having fun and are showcasing their acting ability, and despite its shortcomings I find this quite enjoyable, so I will score it 8.75 out of 10.
DOTD is Rosie for her opening solo.

Re: LIVING ON AN ISLAND [December]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED