Quantcast

LONELY BOY -- [April]

LONELY BOY Dance Number 31 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Andrew Gold and reaching No 11 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 14/04/77 Duration of dance 3.09 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue. (Joined by Floid)

Lulu 31                      Pauline 31                 Rosie 31
Sue 31                       Patti 29                     Gill 28

A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25bspv_legs-co-lonely-boy-totp-tx-14-04-1977-05-05-1977_creation

Cast your minds back 35/40 years ago and think of the school drama and dance classes we were forced to attend. This always reminds me of that, with the girls in their white costumes performing simple dance moves in the school hall. But the parts played by our two siblings here are simply a delight to watch. Sheer masterstroke by Flick to cast Patti in the role of little sister and doesn't she carry it off with aplomb, it would have been so much easier i guess to insert one of the younger dancers for this part.
  As for my friend Floid, well he fulfills his role splendidly and this is by far his best outing with our six girls. Both he and Patti turn in stellar performances. As for the song, well the late Mr Gold was another of those artists whos records were perfect for Legs to dance too, though this particular track may have been the weakest of the three the girls danced too.
  This dance is very watchable but doesn't quite attain top marks, so for me it will be a 9 out of 10.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

PattiForPM
This Dance is inspired IMO and I can hardly think of another routine which fits the song so well.  Flick has illustrated the story of the Lonely Boy quite beautifully and the feisty Patti and beleagured Floid put in wonderful performances and I love the flowing lines of the five beauties in those lovely white outfits.  I do think Andrew Gold is one of those artists whose tunes lent themselves well to Legs dances and Flick's interpretation and this one obviously got Flick's creative juices flowing.  An unhesitating 9/10

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

No medals from me I'm afraid as I don't like the casting.  Better Flick had lost the Greek chorus and given five of the girls a well deserved week off while at the same time developing one of her younger dancers, in particular Lulu.  This is a missed opportunity.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Paperboyplod
This routine most notable for featuring the return to TOTPs of Floid, since the demise of Ruby Flipper. He plays the 'lonely boy', Patti plays his younger sister, they dance as a duet throughout most of the routine, the rest of Legs & Co. dance aroung them in very stylish long white dresses with different pattens on each of them. Patti & Floid are also in all-white outfits, only Patti wears a dress I hasten to add.
I think that Flick missed a trick here though, for reasons I won't go into just now, Pauline would've been better cast as Floid's younger sister, but that aside this is quite an enjoyable routine, & I love the physical squabbling, just like what most siblings do, at the end there!

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Thought this dance may have induced more response, only three sets of marks !

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

bucksby
only just had a chance to rewatch as I can't watch videos on my pc as my mum has been messing about with the browser. Anyway this is a great song for me and I think it is Andrew's best. Great role play by Patti and Floid. a 9 out of 10 for me.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

I'm frankly shocked that the choice of Patti in this role is controversial.  She does such a wonderful job and with Floid there's a definite chemistry and fun element that i just don't see that any other Dancer could have improved on this performance even if they do all bring varied great skills and personality to any routine.  PBP can you elaborate on your comment re Pauline if possible (I know you said you wouldn't but I'm intrigued)

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

As i said in my intro, the choice of Patti for this role was a masterstroke of genius by Flick. I would also like to hear your thoughts PBP on your Pauline angle for this role, most curious ?

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Paperboyplod
Quite simply that Pauline, like Floid has dark skin, in real it's unlikely (but not impossible) that a much lighter shinned person like Patti could be a full sibling of Floid, so long as they both have the same two parents, unless they are of different races, or both of more than one race. I guess that in this case, maybe either Patti or Floid was a 'throwback', whereby somebody of the family's ancestral background had passed their genes downwards, and their recessive nature, through overwhelmingly mixing with another race suddenly comes through.

Please understand that my choice of casting wouldn't be based on me trying to push through a racist agenda, it's just simple biological facts based around genetics.

If Floid in one of these routines was to have a love interest, then it's quite a different matter, it wouldn't matter who he was paired up with, in that case Patti would be an ideal choice to play his girlfriend!

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

PattiForPM
I see what you're saying PBP but i have to disagree vigourously.  I think we have to use our imaginations when viewing a routine like this and factors like colour and age can be overcome by a good performance with relative ease.  Over the years all the Dancers showed their acting skills and humour and I think Floid and Patti do a fine job of impersonating squabblling youngsters and letting us all enjoy the experience. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is exactly the reason for this Thread as Ryan has said.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Suefan
By my earlier post I'm not saying that Patti doesn't do a good job.  Indeed she does a great one and perhaps, given her experience coupled with her physique, is the best choice for the role.  But I would have liked to see Flick make a bolder choice by casting one of the younger girls, for preference Lulu.  If I study the entire canon of Legs on TOTP I cannot help but be struck, albeit ever so slightly, by the notion that some of the newer and younger dancers were not given sufficient opportunities in the spotlight.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

PattiForPM
I see what you're saying now SueFan and I do think Flick waited to put Lulu and Gill into the limelight although later on they had some great roles.  Rosie may be a little bit of a different story perhaps but I like to think that Flick knew her Dancers and their strengths so well that she visualised the right one in the right role the great majority of the time.  I was feeling more than a little defensive of Patti in this guise and I'm glad to hear you endorse the quality of her performance.

PBP your point is understandable but if you want to go back to reality there are lots of "second"  mixed families and adoptions to resort to and still allow the Floid/Patti combo to reflect that but I see fun and skill here and can suspend my knowledge of the double helix when Dancers are this good.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Suefan
Yes FC knew her dancers very well, Gill's gradually increasing prominence in some of the more restrained spots and solos being a case in point, but in this instance while Patti and Floyd, best not forget him, both give first class performances if it had been my call I'd have chanced a slightly less polished performance as a trade off for giving one of the younger dancers this chance and perhaps tinkering with elements of the choreography to play to that girls strengths.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Floid Fan
Mmm,
I've only just noticed that there have been threads put up about individual routines. This is one of my all time favourites. It has such variety. I just love the moves and gestures of the supporting Legs and Co dancers. They look so elegant in those lovely dresses each with a different design to make them distinctive. I love the way that at times, they stand stock still and open out the folds of their dresses and also the way they bound around the stage in a circle and off stage in time to the beat of the song.
I completely agree that Patti plays her role wonderfully in this routine, with great acting. Interesting that in real life she was almost a decade older than her 'brother'. I also love Floid's dance performance in this, the way he goes down on his knees and looks up sadly (to show off his acting ability) and he gets the chance to show off his spins and a lovely pirouette at one point. One of his best performances with Legs and up there with thoseabsolutely amazing shadow dancing grooves of 'I Wish'. 10 out of 10.
Carl

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Suefan
Seems I'll have to throw a mark into the pot in the interest of balance.  As I've said, for me the casting is a mistake and the chorus flitting hither and thither doesn't compensate.  So lets get to the nitty gritty.  I prefer my routines Floyd free so this can have a 2 on 10 from me.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Great stuff guys, love it. I will add your watchable ratings in to the mix.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

If you're referring to Sue and Patti at 2:17, they don't collide. Patti turns to abuse Floid as Sue passes close to her.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Well i watched this over and over again. I accept Patti turns to Floid to abuse him, but im convinced Patti and Sue, if not collide, make contact of sorts. Just looks a messy second or so to me.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

PattiForPM
I have to go with Doc on this.  As we have previously noted there are some properties of Heavenly Bodies (and Lord knows they don't come much more Heavenly than these two) including a mysterious gravitational attraction and I think this explains the not unappealing contact-free "brush" between these two fine exponents of Dance.  I would liken it to the slight eddy current between two beautiful angel fish swimming a complex ritualistic pattern on the sun soaked barrier reef in crystal clear water.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Andeebee
PMPM must of been gobsmacked by watching young Patti in this routine.......I think (and not good for me to say) that the other girls are a bit of a intrusion (must go and flagellate myself now for saying that)