LONELY BOY -- [April]

Stu

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Stu
Well as before I'll be basing my scores purely on how much enjoyment I got from the routine and I really liked this one. For those out there who don't like Floyd's involvement in Legs & Co well I think his presence was required for the story for this routine, and to be honest I for one don't have a problem with Floydy tipping up at Television Centre every once in a while to have a boogie with his old mates. :-)

9/10

Stuey

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

I agree to some extent about Floid. When theres a role for him like in this dance i dont really have a problem. Its when theres no need for him to be there, thats when i get wound up and fortunately that only happened on 2 or 3 occasions. I shudder to think what my comments will be for `You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)`, he completely ruined that one for me, might just see me awarding zero points for that one

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Old Bill
There are some great moves in this, almost balletic (is that a word...?) and Patti & Floid get to do some fun acting.
Although I'm not sure why the boy is lonely - is it because of his sister or despite her?

Anyway, they all look great in white. And Patti's face pulling is wonderful. I'm not happy with Floid for kicking her up the harris though! Tsk tsk Floid! ;-)

Not a bad song, and nice fun couple of minutes. 7.5 / 10
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

7 for me thou

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

VintageVideos
A classic song (though not my favourite). We're treated with a lot of Floid and a bit of comedy. For most of the song, this isn't a routine in a strict sense, more some kind of musical drama. Unfortunately all those 'funny' moves are wearing thin rather quickly. Good for the occasional view, but nothing to hit the repeat button.
7.5/10

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Doc
Another fun routine and the return of Floid to generate a bit of controversy. As for marks there is one scene that is worth 10 on its own but the whole dance is not quite that good and gets a 9.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Who's That Hurll

'Lonely Boy' has a clean and clinical stage, almost futuristic looking and to this, we see a melodrama played out before our leaping barefoot princesses. I also like the 'tit for tat' at the end.

7.5/10    DOTD  Patti.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
This is  a fun routine which perfectly captures the essence of the song and enhances it. I think this was probably Floid's finest hour, certainly with Legs & Co, and he turns in a sublime performance as does  his 'sibling', Patti.  There is good movement from the other girls as well. Nice song. 9 out of 10.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Colm
Outstanding interplay here between Patti and Floid - who seems to have definitely been upping his game since we last saw him the previous October. They are credible in the roles of mischievous brother and sister. They must have had a right ball rehearsing this!

And kudos too to the other five girls, whose supporting role shouldn't be underestimated.

Score: This one deserves another 10 from me; I know I've rated "How Can This Be Love" as my favourite of the AG routines, but I'm marking this higher, in consideration, purely down to Patti and Floid's dynamics.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
With all this dashing around and disputes being fought out Legs and Co once again show that dance can be used the even if the subject this week is the issue of sibling rivalry.  (Occupying Andrew Gold’s mind) 8/10

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Angie
Good fun routine to a great song......and with added Floid too! Nice! Not one of my top routines though.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

We have a really good routine by the ladies and one floyd. The dance routine is dominated by Patti and Floyd. Who take on the characters in the song. This of rivalry between two siblings, and the other ladies a sort of barrier between them. The solos by our two lead are fantastic. There one moment in this song, when we see the other ladies going round Patti and Floyd. And then going off the stage. The last person in the line is Sue who as to speed up to get off the stage. She was a good runner, wonder if Sue did the 100m.

The Dotd will go to the wonderful Patti, for some great facial expression, and the great dancing. A true great dancer.

The score is 9 out of 10.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Mikey
Ooh this is a bit good!. It looks to me like there are 2 separate routines taking place here (Patti and Floyd, and then the other Legs and Co ladies acting like moving scenery), and interesting that they overlap but never quite acknowledge the existence of the other directly. The main focus of course is Patti and Floyd (I guess Flick had lost Phil's number by this point) and he proves a worthwhile addition with the comedy fighting and supporting Patti with the lifting. Good acting by both of them too.

I do like the outfits worn by the others, with the various different black patterns, and they give a very energetic supporting role with their own stop/start performance, even acting as a wall between Patti and Floyd at one point (i think some of them especially Lulu got the giggles though, naughty!).

Very creative and enjoyable 9/10

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Gorgeous Daze
Patti's versatility and ability to totally inhabit seemingly any part comes to the fore again. She's returned from her tennis lesson still full of energy to play out a very familiar vignette of childhood. Floid ain't too bad either. I think it's a fantastic performance from them, as good as anything they did with RF and so convincing. The black and white design symbolizes their yin and yang sibling duality. The other girls act as a calming presence to offset the squabbling, forming a peace line in their cooling summer dresses and skipping around barefoot like merry maidens. I've tried but I can't find any fault with this including the good song with its quite dramatic instrumental section. To me this is the perfect routine for it, Floid's inclusion was never more justified. I think it deserves 10/10

Go join The 20 Club and be lonely no more.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Suefan
Having reflected on my low score for this one have decided it deserves more.  That is not to say that I don't still regard this as a missed opportunity... I would have argued with FC until we were both blue in the face that she should have cast one of the younger and less experienced girls to help develop her talent....... but that said, it is what it is, so my revised mark is a 6 with Patti the Dotd..

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

SF, ive included your vastly improved score rating of 6 out of 10 for `Lonely Boy`. The extra points you have awarded it, means it gets into the top 75.

Re: LONELY BOY -- 1977

Your reappraisal is much appreciated on this side of the Atlantic SF

Re: LONELY BOY -- [April]

The great interaction between Patti & Floyd is the highlight of the routine.Yes there is not much in the way of dancing but it is a lot of fun.8/10
DotD:Patti

Re: LONELY BOY -- [April]

To be honest this this isn't a routine I've watched that often, and although it isn't in the usual style of a Legs & Co performance, having just watched it a couple of times recently it is quite enjoyable. I'm not usually too keen on anyone sharing the stage with our lovely girls, let alone taking one of the lead roles, but I must say Floid does put in a splendid performance alongside Patti.  The white costumes look good on all the dancers, but especially on Patti who arrives about 1 minute in looking like she's came straight off the tennis court. I also think the fact that even though all the other girls are present, and do a mix of dancing and still performance, they are more low key in this routine and don't distract from the two main characters.  All in all something a little different with some fun thrown in too.

Rating 9/10

DOTD Patti

Re: LONELY BOY -- [April]

Dancer
I really loved this song when it was released, the instrumental riff in the middle was pure genius.  The dance itself gets a big thumbs up from me.  I really enjoyed Floyd in this dance.  He was dressed so well and his dancing was perfect and equally Patti was lovely too even though she came on part way through.  The girls looked lovely in their outfits too. I will award this dance a big ten out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Floyd.  It would have been Patti but Floyd did more for the routine.