LONELY TOGETHER [January]

LONELY TOGETHER   Dance/performance number 241 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Barry Manilow   reaching number 21 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  08/01/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.43 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue.

Pauline  221
Sue      220
Rosie    218
Patti     214
Gill        213
Lulu      210

Sorry but i find this one a bit of an uninspiring start to the year, mirroring the blandness of the song they are asked to perform to. I guess the routine, with the sad faces and rather shapeless white dresses is whats expected given the song lyrics and i rarely have occasion to play this one. Fortunately there is a lot better to come in January. But as ever, you folk may see it differently and i hope to read your comments on this and others throughout 1981.

My rating is `6 out of 10`, all the girls looked great as ever, (note Pauline's longer hair these days, suits her).
Just to point out im no longer including links to the routines in these comments. Im sure all the members here can easily find the routines in various ways including the OFTDs blog, Dailymotion or Youtube to name but three ways.

I will also only produce one new set of Legs & Co comments per week. The quite annoying current policy of BBC4 double booking TOTPs and the Yewtree'd shows to fit in will make continuity on this look very skewed with what we see on the TOTPs re-runs, but this way i can keep the Legs comments going weekly right through until the end.

Im also packing in with the big collages of pictures, instead im only using the one pic and my comments for this year will be on the brief side. I do feel in a melancholy mood about 1981, knowing that the journey is almost over for Legs & Co.

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Colm
A sad song, and a sad routine to match. I really feel this routine could do with more Patti, though.

Score: 7

DotD: For getting the right mix of emotion, and also for executing perfectly-timed glances to the camera, Sue

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I like some of Barry M's stuff, but there is a reason why I have never heard this song before - it's crap.

The routine reminds me of the over-65's aerobic sessions at my local Leisure Centre on Tuesday mornings.

Sods law we get to see this and Ai No Corrida and the one with bikinis are Yewtreed. Not a happy chap.

rating  DotD simply for looking the most beautiful is Gill
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

I actually like some of Barry Manilow's songs, but not this one, which to me is dull and boring. Flick must have had a difficult task coming up with a routine for this one, so it certainly isn't one of the girls best performances, however they all do look lovely.

Rating 4/10

DOTD Sue

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Fresh from my senior citizens weekly keep-fit class (I'd go every day if the other participants looked as good as the ladies!) its time to sit back, rest the aching joints, and comment on this routine which is one I find I quite like.  The elegant simplicity of the costumes, nicely set off by the dark background, help highlight the choreography which I don't think is quite as simple as the ladies make it appear, while the song actually has a narrative lyric which makes sense, rather than the repetitive nonsense of some offerings, so thats a win as well and overall I'm giving this routine an 8.75.

Pauline's longer locks really suit her and I also like Sue's slightly longer than usual hairstyle.  As usual though it is Sue who has that difficult to define communicability with the audience off to a tee and she is therefore my Dotd.

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Legs & Co.'s interpretation's a welcome distraction, from what they're actually dancing to, which is definitely the poor warm-up to Bermuda Triangle, which I thought Richard Skinner was actually announcing.
It's a simple piece, just to ease us into Legs & Co.'s final calendar year on TOTPs.
I guess that this is gonna be amongst the greatest '81 dance routines, that we'll be seeing here, as Legs & Co.'s gradually become more of an incidental act, before going out with an undignified whimper.

8/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

I like this one.  It's plaintive, pulls at the heartstrings and the ladies look absolutely divine in their simple white frocks.  It makes me want to rush the stage and try to comfort each and every one of them.  I know I'd be carted off by security but there it is.   Mr Manilow is by no means my favourite artist but I don't mind this song at all and I think the Troupe handles this slow dance very well indeed.  DotD for me is Pauline for that early solo.  I absolutely concur with Colm's pont about the underutilization of the wonderful Patti and that moment when she leaves the stage to the four central dancers made me think she would return for a solo or duet with Pauline but it was sadly not to be.  Anyway this is basically my only gripe so I'm awarding 8.5/10  and would congratulate Flick on making a another slow ballad very watchable.

PS: Ryan I do miss the links (although I am a bit lazy!)

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Barry Manilow’s “Lonely Together” is a slow song and a sad song, and the routine expertly captures this mood. It’s nothing special however. Richard Skinner comments that “It’s really great to see mini that skirts are back in fashion” so I guess he missed the DPIDFI routine all those months ago.
There was not a lot of other records climbing the charts that could be chosen to do a routine for this show, so it was never going to be good to come up with a fabulous dance in this week.

DOTD is Pauline for the introductory solo.
6/10 for the lacklustre style of the routine although everybody does look great.

Incidentally, “Lonely Together” reminds me of “We Are The World” in places and may have been an inspiration for the supergroup USA for Africa when writing the charity record in 1985.

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

This routine to start the year off with our ladies. The ladies are dessed in white mini skirs. And dancing to a Barry Manilow Ballard. We do get some nice close ups of our ladies. But all in all it is a middling routine for me.

So for me the Dotd will after to be Pauline. For that nice solo at the beginning of the routine. All our ladies were looking fantastic in this routine.

The score must be 5 out of 10.

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Mikey
Not a great start to the year we seem to be in first gear still, but thats down to the choice of record (bordering on dreary), luckily the next time Legs dance to Mr Manilow things are a whole lot better and i can look forward to that, but for now this is only a 5.5/10. DOTD Pauline.

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

I always found the first edition of Jan that Legs are on to be really great viewing (EWF, David Soul) and some duds (Cool Meditation and this one)

Sorry folks, but I really didn't like this one bit, it was insipid and dull, I find other slower routines like Easy & Three Times A Lady more palatable, but this grates like a sliver of chewed meat trapped in the gaps between my back teeth.

It certainly isn't Legs & Co or Flicks fault or finest moment, it's just a load of old tosh in the chart by then, best of a bad lot.

I do love the new looks and the lovely attire, but that's it, one to watch on mute.

Scores on the 81 doors:- 6.5/10

DOTD : for the lovely looks to the lens that melts anyone's frosted heart - Sue

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Legs & Co. don't exactly look as if they had a Happy New Year. Perhaps they did and it's the return to the daily grind which lends an air of easing themselves back into the old routine, handy for such a leisurely paced song as was the case with the Soul pair with which they began 1977 and 1978. For '79 and '80, without Sue, the openers were somewhat pacier (September and My Feet Keep Dancing). Back she comes, as does another sedate number. In keeping with the tone, the dance is suitably melancholy but is there a slight air of fatigue  and would it be wide of the mark to suggest an air of hearts not being fully behind this routine, as well as 'broken'?
Slightly by-the-numbers  and slightly harsh perhaps but in their favour is how complimentary the lighting is towards the ladies. The costumes (mini-skirts, Richard?) might not suit all shapes and sizes but they certainly suit Legs & Co. As usual, Pauline's just right for the introductory portrayal of a delicate nature, Lulu's just about holding it all in (emotions) whilst Sue stops just short of turning on the waterworks 30 seconds from the end.

6/10
DOTD: Pauline

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

bucksby
the song is awful and the routine is plain. Not blaming Flick or the ladies, but they will have better luck in April with another Manilow track. 5 for routine. DOTD Pauline

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Great to see you on the Legs & Co comments again Bucksby. Hope you can go back and do some you missed

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Dancer
I never liked this routine and always felt it was a rushed job as it was really poor-performing in the charts and was quite a risk to rehearse to it as Barry Manilow's singles did not fare well in this country.  We went wild for his albums and his Manilow Magic was riding high in the charts.  I have gone through the Top 40 of this week and can see none that has gone down unexpectedly.  I could only think that the girls had extended annual leave that week or Flick's plane from New York had been delayed due to the most awful winter we were dealt with.

The dance itself did nothing for me and all the glum faces made it not eye catching along with the costumes.  I did not like Lulu at the commencement of this dance as I felt was far too long here.

I will give the dance five out of ten and the best dancer does go to Pauline - a first for Pauline from me - but she did have a lovely look on her face as she came to the forefront.

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

PattiforPM
You're a bit of a bunch of meanies making these ladies even sadder than they already are.  Don't worry ladies, SF, PBP and myself will always be there for you when times are tough

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

I do think the current average of around 6/10 after 14 of us have placed our ratings for this routine is about correct though. The routine is not helped by such a drab song delivered by Bazza.

It reminds me of `When Im Wet & Lonely` on Not The Nine O'clock News.

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

I quite like this dance,though it's not a favourite and is nothing special.The song itself is OK and has a nice lyric.I think the dancing is sensitive and expressive,and not at all as simple as perhaps it seems at first glance.I especially like Pauline in this so she gets DotD.8/10

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

Gorgeous Daze
So Legs & Co slip into their final year in modest heels, moderately short dresses, with a syrupy heart-on-sleeve charlatan. They should Sue! And indeed there she is for the first opener since 78's Quiet Night In. In this chilly season Lulu's own opening brings a warming recollection of high-summer 1979/2014 and After The Love Has Gone. Wouldn't we all rather be there on the sand than stuck in the cold with this bland, forgettable mid-winter fayre? That was heartfelt longing, this on-the-rebound pragmatism has all the stirrings of a congealed rice pudding. It's not just Manilow's arms which are empty. Unable to immerse themselves in depths that aren't present the girls are forced to tread a surface of slush, and for all their experience the feelings thus emitted come across as similarly superficial. It all gives the impression of going through the (e)motions, with no special moments that linger. There's no connection, I think we best stay lonely apart. And as PD has implied this doesn't look as if it was much fun to do.  Even Rosie's funny bone isn't tickled, something must be up. It's strengths lie almost entirely in us getting unrestricted access to their beauty. That never fails.

My parting thought is you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. DOTD Pauline  5/10

Re: LONELY TOGETHER [January]

VintageVideos
Until a few weeks ago I had successfully managed to eliminate any recollection of this song being in the charts. No wonder as the track is instantly forgettable. Not that it is a bad song as such but it felt so out of place. The kind of music Mum & Dad would listen to, or maybe even worse, Grandma & Grandad. Urgh!

Legs & Co present - not unforeseeable - a rather sedate performance. Even as the biggest L&C fan, you could be forgiven to doze off part-way through (sweet dreams, baby!). Although you'd miss one of the highlights of that week's show: Richard Skinner's muted excitement about the lengths of the girls' skirts!

Poor Richard, last time he hosted TOTP, L&C were busy rehearsing their numerous Christmas routines, so I guess his temperamental outburst can be excused, all the more, as he quickly manages to get a hold of himself again. Yeah, even TOTP hosts are just human!

6 / 10