LOST IN MUSIC [August]

LOST IN MUSIC  Dance/performance number 177 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Sister Sledge  reaching number 17 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  30/08/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.30 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      160
Pauline 159
Rosie    157
Patti     156
Gill       153
Lulu      152
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22v4p8_legs-co-lost-in-music-totp-tx-30-08-1979_creation

This is the only occasion on TOTPs that Legs & Co performed to a record by Sister Sledge, we have to wait another 24 years on TV until we see them doing so again when they switch channels and give Geraldine Russell a huge surprise ! But as for this performance, well it once again certainly highlights to me how how Legs & Co do `sexy` without it being overtly in ya face. Flick and Legs & Co were such a class acts, knowing just how far to push boundaries and never crossing them, unlike another dance troupe around this time.

I have to say that this particular track is another great disco sound for our girls to perform to and by far my favourite sound from SS, but i was surprised to see it only reach No 17 in the charts. Another routine that had lots of thought given to it and good to see the props department coming up trumps again with the fake steel rod cages, even if they looked easily escapable. Completely love the outfits too, seeing sexy girls showing off their midriff regions never fails the please does it !

DOTD. The total sex goddess that is `Pauline Peters` take a bow. Seldom has a DOTD selection been so simple for me (though Lulu does put up stiff competition). I wonder if Mr Say When asked Pauline to come home in her work gear that evening ! Lucky man.

Rating. Well i reckon this might be well be right up there with the forums favourite routines and so it should be. Not much to dislike about it. If i were to be a bit picky i could grumble that our 4 birds who are caged dont get much of a look in and that there's way to much cross fade in the routine. Also this is a routine ive watched so many times in the past, so i wont have the instant wow effect that some of you watching for the first time will experience. Im just shy of a maximum, im at `9.5 out of 10`.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Paperboyplod
An interesting concept here, the ladies are caged like zoo animals, but Lulu's separated from the others in a cage all to herself, as is she's a different species, either that or she doesn't get along with the other 'animals' @ the park, & has to be separated, for both the safety of her, & her peers.
Their costumes leave little to the imagination, but of course animals are normally naked for all intents & purposes.
The close-ups of Pauline, show some serious bling there, I like those pearls.
If only thy were all let out of their cages during this performance, I'd have loved to have seen them all run riot just like wild animals would do as soon as they're set free.

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

This is one of my absolute favourites.  A classic disco tune and all our ladies in fine form in the world's most beautiful musical aviary make for a truly entertaining and to me quite breathtaking few minutes.  Pauline is at her most sultry and Lulu has clearly misbehaved and has opted for a writhing appeal to solitary confinement.  The four other slave girls are in beautiful unison and for once I like all the interesting overlays.  I could watch this all day and never get bored at all.  DotD for me is very close but I have to give this one to Lulu who is quite exquisite in her sexy anguish and for me just edges past the wonderfully expressive Pauline.  The mark for me can only be a 10/10 .  Lastly may I say I am quite horrified to learn that this song only reached #17 and this is a real indictment of the British Record-Buying Public

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Suefan
A memorable routine with Lulu and Pauline to the fore which makes a nice change.  However, good as both these ladies are, and clever as the concept is, I'm unconvinced that the 4:1:1 formation was the way to go and so am only giving this a 9 with Lulu as my Dotd.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Old Grey Whistler
I'm a bit surprised that 'Legs' didn't dance to more Sister Sledge songs but they do a very good job with this one.
All the girls are looking very sexy and turn out some great moves. The four in the main group look to be in almost perfect synchronisation, but my dancer of the day is between the two in solitary confinement. We get some close ups of Pauline which showcase her beauty, but the camera is a little too close to appreciate her dancing. For that reason I choose Lulu, who is absolutely sizzling in this. Could this really be the same girl who was such a cutie pie just a couple of years earlier?
I was tempted to give this a maximum but I find the overlays a touch irritating so instead it gets 9.5 out of 10.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Colm
Of all the Sister Sledge songs which could have been danced to, I think this has to be the ideal choice.

I can say so many good things about this routine, but I'll instead mention that the shaky bars slightly undermine the performance...

DotD: While Lulu is absolutely on fire here, my vote goes to Pauline for her confident and delightful composure

Score: 9.5

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Gorgeous Daze
Yes, Legs & Co have waited until Sister Sledge's best single to grace them with a routine and it's a performance most worthy of the song. The synchronous dancing is punchy and appealing. Lulu's great and the trapped/liberated paradox is illustrated by her in solitary confinement searching for a way out while the foursome dance away regardless. But Pauline is transcendental: ultra seductive and totally convincing. Luring us siren-like from some place else, she's reminiscent of a smouldering beauty in Star Trek who would transmogrify into a deadly alien once unlocked from her prison by a mesmerized rookie crew member.

And oh yeah...they're all looking hot aren't they?  The skimpy silver costumes with lashings of Arabian beads blend with the bars and contribute to the sense of losing themselves. The overlays heighten this perception, but at a price. With the bars appearing on an industrial scale the visuals become too compromised. So I think this could have worked better had the foursome spread their wings free from any cage. Seen against the caged birds they would also tip the balance towards the free-spirited theme of the song.

Lulu tempts but Pauline owns this one and she's the clear-cut DOTD. Unique in the fact we never see her lower half, let alone a dance-step!

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Adorable Gillusion
7/10   DOTD...Lulu

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

VintageVideos
Super disco track by Sister Sledge which I think is better than 'We Are Family'. Even back in 79 I was surprised it didn't get any higher than No. 17, it took 5 more years until the 1984 remix set the record straight and peaked at No. 4, deservedly. Another remix went to No. 14 in 1993 which just goes to show that the track has lasting appeal.
The routine could have been great but due to their caged nature, Legs & Co. are a bit restricted in their moves. Even the slinky Pauline cannot avert the rods starting to bug me towards the second half of the performance. I'm torn between 9 and 9.5 so I will award

9.25 / 10

Although Pauline is very present and very seductive here, we do not see a lot of actual dancing by her, whereas Lulu is putting up a good show all by herself.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

In this routine we have two dominate ladies, these are Lulu and Pauline. The other ladies Sue, Patti, Rosie and Gill are in a large round mock cage, like a trap. On the opposite side another small mock round cage with Lulu in it. The ladies are in silver sexy costume and sliver dance shoes. All the staging goes with this fantastic song by sister Sledge.

The Dotd go down to Lulu or Pauline in this routine. So why I go for Lulu this slim beautiful lady. Who does some great sexy movement in that small space, especial her hip movements. You are saying why not Pauline, she only superposed on the other ladies with a close up of her beautiful face looking out of the fake bar and few sexy movements.

The score is 9 out of 10.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Gorgeous Daze
I suspected that a couple of Lulu's biggest supporters would prevent Pauline getting her first DOTD clean-sweep, but I'm very surprised to find Lulu 7-3 up at this stage. I don't begrudge it her though, the girl dun good. Dancing is, after all, the name of the game and that's being put before sultry perfection.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Yeah im truly surprised how Pauline hasn't scored more DOTDs in this particular routine, to me she was a no brainer choice, but thats just my opinion. It appears Pauline's lack of actual dancing in the routine has contributed to this. But what we do see is her looking smoking hot with her selection of seductive faces. She looks so much better visually in 1979, than what she did with her poor choice of hair that she had a year earlier.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

AC/PD
If DOTD was based purely on actual dance performance, then Lulu and her little solos would surely see her as receiving a clean sweep for this routine.
However, seeing as it's based on overall enjoyment garnered from the performers, the current ratio is more than a little astonishing.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

I don't think I could claim to be in the camp of Lulu's biggest supporters but for me this one has always been, first foremost and forever, a Lulu fest.  Just not enough actual dancing from Pauline, or rather we don't get to see it.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

What can I say?  Lulu put the moves on me and Pauline made eyes at me so what could I do?  You think I could still exercise free will or practice logical thought??  I was absolutely flipping helpless

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

PaulF
I don't think there's no doubt that this is a great routine worthy of a 9/10.
The question is over the Dotd and Lulu and Pauline would both be worthy winners, but after a few viewings and after much deliberation those hips of Lulu win me over.
Paul

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Old Grey Whistler
It doesn't surprise me at all that Lulu is polling so well. I regard this as one of her finest performances at least up to this point in time. It's not just that her dancing is great. Her whole stage presence is mesmerising.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

You can't get away from Pauline who is superb in conveying a sense of being trapped/caged.But i think Lulu is utterly fantastic,gripping the bars of her cage and throwing her head back almost in despair.She looks so good and moves so fine i can't keep my eyes off her;a mesmerising performance from her,and a very stylish routine overall.10/10.
DotD:Lulu

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

Mikey
This is a great record, but somehow i felt the routine is not quite up there with the best. I think the wobbly-barred cages are not a great set piece, Lulu is stuggling for any room to move at all but gets on with it like the trooper she is and gives a fantastic performance given the space allowed. Pauline is mostly used in close up as an overlay of the performance and it would have been nice to have seen her a bit more of her actual dance. The larger cage set up is ok and i do like this section of the four although they are in the background a lot of the time. The outfits here are ace so a 10 for them, but overall just a 7.5/10, DOTD Lulu.

Re: LOST IN MUSIC [August]

AC/PD
An entrapped Lulu sways her hips and four other contained creatures sway in time to the music whilst we get up close and personal with an alluring animal, fully made-up to attract and tempt. All this, during the intro, in the intro. sets the pattern for a carefree song which stays long in the memory. As Pauline 'vamps it up' it would be interesting to know what's going through her mind. 'This comes naturally'? 'Men...ha-ha'? 'Tonight's dinner for Mike...steak Diane and Cadbury's Smash'?
Pauline in particular is superbly lit, with the middling make-up application highlighting just how pretty she is...even when she doesn't smile! The midriff-revealing costumes  are worthy of a Top Ten of Legs & Co. apparel, very Arabian in tone. Whilst Pauline writhes Lulu slinks seductively and would have received the DOTD nomination based upon her moves. However, seeing as the category relates to pure personal enjoyment and entertainment, it's going to be Pauline every day of the week. If only the raw footage of those overlays could be found...
9/10
DOTD: Pauline
12