LOVE HANGOVER

Welcome to the second Ruby Flipper performance in my series.  I agonized a little over the choice then I put my money on Love Hangover as it's a full ensemble piece showing the Troupe in high gear.  Love Hangover was recorded by Motown Diva-in-chief Diana Ross and was responsible for transporting her, apparently a little reluctantly, from Soul to Disco.  She also sang it on the Muppet Show and it earned her a Grammy nomination despite this perhaps.  Please Mark out of 10 as usual and I'll do my damndest to try not to influence your choice of Patti as the DotD.

            LOVE HANGOVER  -  Diana Ross                      May 13 1976

            Dancers:   Cherry, Sue, Patti, Lulu, Phil, Gavin, Floid

        Link:   http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bpzq_ruby-flipper-love-hangover-totp-tx-13-05-1976_creation

   From DLT's Groovy Kipper Intro to Patti's classic Four-Poster moves to Cherry and Phil's "arch over my shoulder and we'll both look great" manouvre to Patti and Sue high kicking in both directions this is just like a highlight reel with tons of wonderful scenes.  It has a great sensual vibe and totally fits the song.  All I can say is "If There's a Cure for This, I Don't Want It."   The only tiny detraction is that it seems to me that Gavin looks a little uncomfortable at times whereas Phil and Floid look totally into it but maybe it's just that I know his future.  Anyway it's a definite 10/10 for me and Patti is Dancer of my life, never mind the day.  What do you think?

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

Andeebee
Hangover??? I ain't got no cure, but Ruby Flipper does, and this is deserves a 10 (could of dropped to 9 cos of DLT & rubber friend - but was being to picky)  Cracking song and great routine.

Hard choice for DOTD, but I will choice Patti, what an opening

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

I'm not sure that DLT would get away with using the phrase 'Ruby Slipper' these days, I refer you to the Urban Dictionary for the contempory definition.
& so on to the said routine, & there's no questioning who really steals the show here, Patti's partial solo, was truly wonderful, with sensuality in spades. But all of the others are very entertaining as well, proving how advantageous a mixed-gender dance troupe can be, with some great duets going on, there'd be more such routines to come.

9/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

A routine that leaves us catching our breath and wanting more.

From that tantalising opener with Patti - how many men watching wish they could clamber onto that bed? - IMO, *this* is her proper welcome statement to TOTP viewers.

Then comes the marvellous multitude of movements and musters when the song picks up its pace, containing so many stunning scenes worth a mention:

- Another glorious hair-flick from Cherry at 1:23
- Commander Phil lifting the smouldering Miss Gillespie at 1:37
- Sue immersed in the rhythm at 1:59
- That first magical piece of synchronicity between Mrs H and Miss M at 2:07
- Lulu and Floid shimmying with such vibrant energy at 2:15
- Phil looking more comfortable with his handful than Gavin at 2:29 (and more shimmering follicles from Cherry and Patti)
- That final shot of the glorious Patti on Phil's shoulders among the revelling melée at 2:55...

It takes many a repeat viewing to take it all in and fully appreciate Flick's stunning choreography.

My score: 10

My Dancer of the Day: Patti without a doubt.

(Following PBP's comment, I wish I could now unsee what I read on Urban Dictionary.)

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

PattiforPM
Great comments guys.  At this rate Love Hangover might just give Alright Now a run for its money.  I was even hoping it might entice FloidFan back from retirement but not yet it seems.  So far Patti is unanimous as DotD and I want to reiterate that I am almost completely impartial on this one

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

This multi faceted routine is a good advertisement for a mixed gender troupe and Patti handles the intro with great style but it does go on rather.  In consequence this results in an insufficiency of Sue, Cherry and Lulu for my liking so its another 7 from this quarter.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

bucksby
A brilliant routine that despite only been shown 2 years ago on bbc4 I had largely forgotten about. No arguments of the dancer of the day to Patti but Cherry looks fab too. Just imagine if only the first minute of this routine existed you may have thought it was just a Patti solo outing! A 9 for me.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

  Well we are being spoiled this week on OFTDs with quality routines from Pans, Legs and now Ruby. If ever a performer nailed DOTD in the the 30 seconds of a routine then its Patti here. She is quite irresistible cavorting on her circular bed.
   This is one i clearly remember from all those years ago and remember thinking how at the time that this was a bit risque for TOTPs. It didnt really bother my teenage mind or indeed now, but i guess this performance would have been rather disconcerting for the good ole boys who had enjoyed many years enjoying their weekly fix of the female only Pans People. Im not sure they were ready for guys in white cowboy hats with a girl on each arm, or a sailor hoisting their fav Pans Girl Cherry aloft, or just Floid full stop.
   Still, Arlene and her dance troupe a year or two later rather corner the market in mixed troupe dancing and thrived on the shock element of it. Whilst she could be considered smutty, Ruby here were very sensual and not a trace of smut can be found. The performance matches the hypnotic feel to the song perfectly and all dancers bring their A game.
   Like most Ruby Flipper routines, i find this enjoyable and a rating of 9.25 out of 10 is my score.
   Patti is DOTD, no question of that.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

VintageVideos
Every so often Ruby Flipper performed routines that consisted of 2 or more separate dances, sometimes even at the same time. This is one of those, and if it were just for the first part - the lovely and graceful Patti - this would be a favourite on this side of the Channel. But I do not find the second part particularly appealing, granted there's a lot going on but it lacks some consistency. Everyone's just doing their thing and it's too much free style for me.
So the averaging rate for this dance from the German jury is an 8 out of 10, with DotD - who else - Patti.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Rating 7/10. DOTD Gavin…………sorry I meant Patti.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

PattiforPM
Thanks again for all these reviews chaps.  How interesting.  It never occured to me at all that some people would find this many dancers and multiple scenarios a bit disjointed and chaotic but thinking about it this is  a very reasonable interpretation, if not one to which I myself subscribe.  Now SueFan I hope you're not winding me up by this contention that the perfect Patti overture "goes on" a bit, although I realise it does delay the appearance of your own Dancing Queen a little.  There are several classic Sue moments too though I would contend.  I was actually shocked at how many fine scenes there were when I watched this a few times over and as Col has ably listed.  It's almost like looking through different shop windows trying to find your favorite sensual dance but clearly some people are more keen to choose an item and examine it in detail and not window-shop.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

Suefan
It is certainly a multi-faceted routine with an abundance, one might even argue perhaps an over abundance, of scenarios, some of which contain the hint of dances to come.  And it is a cleverly conceived routine from the mind of our not quite native New Yorker but, I suppose in part because of the somewhat disjointed nature of the piece, it doesn't captivate me.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

PattiforPM
I'm hoping for some more voters.  Any more Love Hangovers out there?

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

The first minute or so is brilliant,with Patti looking lovely.Another favourite bit is when Phil,Lulu and Floyd flick their heads from side to side.Floyd and Lulu have a good dance about 2.18.Gavin just never looks comfortable in any dance.I like the structure of the song.Perhaps the beginning represents quiet reflection on the love she feels,whereas the second part represents the wild abandonment of the 'sweet love' she feels.
Star dancer - Patti.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

This starts off with Miss Hammond in her boudoir, waiting for Patti4pm to turn up with the Bollinger on ice.
She eventually becomes bored with the delay and joins the rest of the chums for a variety of dance turns, the most famous probably being the head swaying of Lulu,Floyd and Captain Phil.                                                                                                                                                                        Cherry's looking good here and has provided an avatar or two from this performance and I always like it when the dry ice appears on stage.
However, I do feel some marks have gone a little over the top and it's another 7.5 from me.
Dancer of the Day: Patti.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

PattiforPM
Thank you chaps for your wise words.  Oh SuPALu I don't see a mark from you for the performance.  Could you oblige?  Meanwhile I have finally opened the Bollinger so hopefully it's not too late.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

I dont think some marks are over the top. My criteria for marks is how much i enjoy watching a routine. Sometimes the routine dosent have to be a masterpiece to receive high marks in my book. If i have always enjoyed viewing it, like this one, then i will mark it high.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

PattiforPM
I agree Ryan, for enjoyment and watchability this ranks very high indeed.  The way I am marking 6s and 7s are good but only slightly above mediocre.  I give mostly 8s and 9s I think as most Legs, RF and Pans performances are fine entertainment.  I'm sure we all have our own systems though and this adds to the fun.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

VintageVideos
Generally I tend to rate routines in the 7.5 - 9.5 range, just because I like most of them. A 6 would already be a rarely watched routine and everything between 5 and 1 is more or less a dud. Guess I'm more of the charitable kind when it comes to rating but as you say, everyone has its own system and that's fine for me.

Re: LOVE HANGOVER

BeautifulBabs
its Ruby Tuesday and I'll watch this later