Quantcast

LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- [May]

LOVE IS IN THE AIR  Dance/performance number 102 by Legs & Co
Performed by   John Paul Young and reaching number 5 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   18/05/78  Duration of dance --  2.28 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Patti, Pauline, Rosie,Sue

Pauline 98    Gill 94
Rosie 95      Lulu 94
Patti 94       Sue 93
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2387t1_legs-co-love-is-in-the-air-totp-tx-18-05-1978_creation

Not a routine to set the pulses racing, but its pleasant enough and as ever the girls look quite lovely. The set is sparsely decorated, infact the only decoration looks like a loads of hanging toilet rolls. The dance moves are quite basic, but i do enjoy the sideways walk or crab walking as i like to call it. Gill`s hair looks amazing, the bouncy look suits her. Gill & Patti have little solos were they advance on the camera, but Rosie & Pauline don't feature to heavily. As we have learned this week limping Lulu could not take part in this one. Star dancer in this for me was Sue, her 30 second solo was executed to perfection with such ease. She sure was a joy to watch and made it look so simple.

DOTD--Sue

Rating--Very much a middle of the road kind of song and dance, so its 7.5 out of 10 from me.

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Andeebee
Song grates after over 30 years exposure, but still a fine song, the BBC liberal usage of hanging bog paper kinda spoils the over all feel and mood of the dance.....

Sadly not a great dance......rescued by 'the lovely' Sue.....I can't take the routine, but I can take the sight of Sue any-day.

6.5 for me

DOTD: Sue

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

I quite like this one.  The ladies are smooth as silk flowing through this very danceable number and although the ceiling could quite happily be redecorated, all the other factors are positive for me.  Sue's solo is indeed very good and so are the other two mini-solos.  I like the loose off the shoulder outfits too and with a few more close-up shots this could have been even higher up my hit parade.  Anyway I'm giving 8/10 and DotD once again to Sue

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Doc
Being stuck on a busy train with a crying baby nearby makes watching the routine a bit tough at the moment. However I already know that thanks to the solo that Sue will get my vote for dotd.

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Suefan
Flick's predilection for paper hanging comes to the fore again but even so I do like this dance and will give it an 8.

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Those dangley bits again, reminiscent of Pauline's, solo I Wanna Get Next To You routine, from the previous year, except that this time, the studio set's a kind of bile-green colour, but apart from that, & the fact that this routine's Lulu-less, it's pretty god-damn fine one, it the rest of the ladies here, complement their dresses, with pants underneath, & imho, they manage it rather nicely.
A brilliant Sue solo sub-routine also in there, just enhances an already respectable routine even more so.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

PaulF
Set decor was rubbish. Typical Flick routine well matched to the song. Girls performance was faultless. 7/10
Nice solo from DOTD Sue.
Paul

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

On what other occasion did bits of dangley paper adorn a TOTPs dancers set ?

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

VintageVideos
Here's a clue:

Vin

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

PattiForPM
Here's another:

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Yep i asked this question on PDs TOTPs thread last Wednesday, which three routines but didn't get a response.

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

VintageVideos
somehow this reminds me of the nightly dance pic...
Vin

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

I never look at PD's Threads on principal since he beat me on the Silly Answer points

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

I'm not keen on the outfits; when the ladies dance with their arms behind their backs, it gives the impression they are wearing strait jackets. Also, given Sue's revelation this week about what happened to Lulu, when watching this routine now I find it easy to spot where she ought to be during parts of this routine - that the remaining five recover the routine is testament to the collective skills of everyone.

DotD: Sensational shimmying Sue.

My score: 7

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

VintageVideos
Nice but not breathtaking. I much prefer the original loo roll performance from 1975. And the straitjackets crossed my mind as well.
7.5/10
DotD: Sue
Vin

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
PP with a nice flattering introduction!

Top Of The Pops as Sue has reminded us recycled everything (Don’t go there).

A gentle routine, to a feel good song 8/10.

Dotd, Sue
Stu

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Stu
Did my eyes deceive me or did Pauline take quite a bad tumble (she was at the very right of the screen) just as she joined the circle with the other girls? Well she certainly recovered well enough if she did.

There seemed to be some new little intricacies to this routine which I quite liked, and overall I found the whole thing to be quite fresh from recent performances, however it's never quite right when there's someone missing, especially when that someone is Lulu.

7/10

DOTD - Sue

Stuey

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
I always think of this song as the spiritual chart brother of Never Let Her Slip Away. Here, the white blousey trouser-suits give a more subtle flavour of summer time than the routine to NLHSA. With the white streamers, I suppose Flick thought we better have something - anything - in the air. The arms behind backs thing is a bit weird: as if they're fated to be placed in bondage by the streamers. All tied up in love. It looks awkward. Which can't be said for Gill's mini solo and that saucy little look,  which is the second best bit. I think it's good they're limited to one high kick because in those outfits it looks unsuitably like a karate move! Then we have the highlight, DOTD Sue's solo where she continues the puppet-like shoulder movements and spins, shakes it, and loosens up to perfection.

Not one I will come back to often. 5/10.

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

VintageVideos
This routine hasn't received a single vote yet on Popscene, this probably says it all.
Vin

Re: LOVE IS IN THE AIR -- 1978

Well i will pop over there and remedy that !