Quantcast

LOVE'S THEME -- 14/02/1974

Love's Theme
Performed by Love Unlimited Orchestra and reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 14/02/1974 Duration of dance - 3.30 mins (app.)
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance (B&W version):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mg7aT9u9JA
A short snippet in colour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49dZvg842EU

The Love Unlimited Orchestra was the brainchild of Barry White, founded as a backing unit for his solo efforts and for the recordings by Love Unlimited, a female trio featuring Barry's wife Glodean. But the orchestra also had a life of its own, releasing about 10 albums and a number of singles between 1973 and 1983.

"Love's Theme" was their first single, originally released in the US in 1973, and reaching the number one spot of the Billboard Hot 100, a rare feat for a purely instrumental single. I think it's safe to say that the orchestral piece was definitely an influence to the upcoming disco music. Love Unlimited recorded a vocal version of "Love's Theme" in 1974.

In the UK, "Love's Theme" entered the charts in the week ending February 2, 1974, and reached its peak of No. 10 just three weeks later. Quite likely, the record got played a lot around Valentine's Day, which was a Thursday in 1974. That evening on Top of the Pops, Pan's People danced to "Love's Theme" in possibly one of their most memorable routines.

Dressed in mini skirts, each of them had a big heart attached to their backs and another smaller one to their left chests (yep, where the heart is!). The performance is a wealth of small romantic gestures interspersed with close-ups of the big hearts.

I have to say, I wasn't quite sure whether I should feature this routine as the colour version is not publicly available. But on the other hand, most of our members have seen it, either it's in their own collection or they watched it at Ryan's get-together last year. For those of us who have yet to see it, please forgive me, but even though I fear that the ratings for this performance may suffer from its unavailability, it is definitely too good to be missed. You just have to love those girls!

Much could be said about all the lovely details but I will leave that up to you. Let me just say that I absolutely adore this dance, and I am more than glad that it was privately recorded so that it has been preserved for us to enjoy. In my view, there can be no other rating than

10 / 10

DotD: All the girls look so lovely, but my "Queen of Hearts" is Cherry

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

PansLegs
If ever there was a message to the fans of Pan's People through one of their routines, this must rank as one of the most appropriate, with a broadcast of Top of The Pops falling on Valentine's Day in 1974. Even better, that such an ideal record for which they were called on to produce accompaniment should be in the charts, although I won't go as far as to say that's a happy coincidence as I expect the record company pushed it around that time.

It took me several viewings of this before I fully appreciated Flick's planning of the various different camera shots and the staging of the dancers in order to achieve, what might look at first glance an edited piece, when in fact of course it's a continuous performance as per the vast majority of routines. Only the occasional hastening of one of the dancers to make sure they get into the next position in time for the following shot (for example Cherry at the end of the 3-shot with Dee Dee and Ruth) gives the game away.

What I love about this is the simplicity and therefore charm it has... almost a throwback to the earlier days of Pans, without the use of any visual effects. The rainbow set has never seemed more appropriate, the costumes too are simple but oh so perfect for display on the girls and not forgetting the hearts, with the large one placed... on their posteriors! One of Flick's touches there again?

It contains a rare loss of concentration from Louise during the last shot, where she almost forgets to turn around, but that doesn't detract at all from the result. It's a great instrumental track and a beautiful visual display by five very lovely ladies meaning a straight 10/10 from me. DotD for this is one of the most difficult choices ever... after much deliberation I'll say Ruth, but really everyone is fabulous in this.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

PaulF
Fantastic routine and all the girls looking gorgeous, pity about the quality but I wont let that stop me awarding a 10/10.

DOTD Ruth at her most raunchiness.
Paul

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

This is a lovely routine which evokes thoughts of their earlier years on the show.  It fits the mood really well so a charming 9 for the dance with Dee Dee my Dotd.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

They've got hers quite literally in the right places, & are they meant to have heart shaped backsides also?
This  'dance' routine's appropriately a gentle group sashay about the stage, & it's all rather topical for this time of year, with St. Valentines Day, & the girls' beauty, & elegance are really dealt justice by the full-colour snippet, that I also needed to aid my dancer of the day nomination, see below.

8/10

DotD:-

Ruth

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

A truly iconic Pans performance, dare i suggest its the quintessential Pans performance also. Everything that was so very right with them was captured nicely in this routine. Ive been trying to think of ways not to give this a max and to be honest i cant think of any.

Maybe it would have been nice to see the original six tackle this or how about the later Pans but the middle Pans girls just nailed it completely.

`Ruth` is my choice for DOTD

and for my rating, `10 out of 10`

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 197

Detailed review to follow but this is a desert island ten and cherry dotd absolute  present from heaven  thanks flick
I could go on forever about this  Vin you have screenshot the best here good thanks

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 197

VintageVideos
BeautifulBabs wrote
I could go on forever about this
Be my guest. Good to have you back.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

I do hope I haven't said this before but for me this is the ultimate pre-Sue Pans performance and everything from the costumes to the wonderful close-ups is handled just right.  All the ladies look so darn scrumptious that the whole caboodle reminds me a perfectly constructed box of chocolates.  Babs is really tasty nougat, Dee Dee a smashing coffee crème, Louise her usual dark chocolate delight, Ruth a really naughty nut crunch but it is Cherry who steals my heart with her rich sweet caramel so that's DotD sorted.  Hang on I have to loosen my tie.  Seriously though this is an absolute solid gold classic and I know Ryan talks about showing newbies Legs performing Love's Unkind to introduce them to these great Dancers but I'd give them Pans' Love's Theme as well and then they'd be hooked as sure as eggs is eggs.  After all that I can only give this 10/10  but it deserves more.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

I could gush and gush and gush over the actual track itself, this particular track kick-started my love for Disco again, after finding it in a charity shop in the early 90's for bout 10p in mint  Pye company sleeve.

The single clocks bout 3:30 whilst the LP cut is over 4 mins in length.

This track, by The Love Unlimited Orchestra, is a masterclass in lushness, gorgeous strings and hypnotic catchy beat, and to boot an instrumental, and a bloody good one. Whilst the UK was churning out some old dross from across the pond comes this classic.

So brings me to this particular routine.

Actually presented in near enough the full 7" runtime (a rarity on TOTP nowadays), but it deserves the full attention of the full version.  It has been said but this is undeniably a first class routine, and one that still sticks in my mind (and one of the only Pans routines I can watch again and again and never tire of it), and I do agree oh yes I do agree.

The whole routine is so simple and I haven't seen such a bevy of wonderment as presented by this beautiful group of girls.  You can't keep your eyes off any of them from the get go.

I can't add anymore to what has been said.

Quintessential Pans, oh yes.

Eye achingly stunning to look at, yes.

A must routine to see (be it in full colour or black and white), the power to captivate and behold is all in the stunning visuals a heartfelt missive to the broken hearts and snubbed Valentines of youths all over the UK in 1973 and even now when you watch this.

A huge collective sigh or phoaaarrr up and down the country from the Dads.

Scores: 10/10

Valentine: Ruth, oh it has to be Ruth.

i do echo other comments, i would of liked to have seen later Pans dance to this as well.

I will  probably dream of this tonight, dreaming of Sue in a small dress with a heart shape on the rear and and and.......cold shower time and lie down in the dark moment.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

Ultimate music for lurve and romance finds its perfect meld! Those preparatory swirling strings were just made to conjure up something rather special and from the moment the girls appear we're putty in their hands. It's basic and there are many more impressive performances, but few press the right buttons this firmly. Simply delightful dresses and the most memorable of accessories. The changing shots cater for everyone and work really well. Smiles and dinky waves alone are enough to zing an arrow direct from heart to heart, while those pillow hands and saucy bum rolls bring a subtle promise of Valentine's night naughtiness. It all captures a moment in time beautifully.

Quintessential alright and if ever there was one for the fans this is it.  10/10  DOTD Cherry again.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
I'm hoping that one day the full colour version will become more widely available, but I have to say that even the monochrome version is very enjoyable to watch. It is packed with nice moments and is all very easy on the eye.
They all get a good amount of camera time, and although it is quite a long dance my attention is held throughout, so I will give it a well deserved 10 out of 10.
DOTD narrowly goes to Ruth.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

PansLegs
Fantastic to see this at the top of the ratings charts! Some brilliant comments and summing up of the dance from the members too.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

Wonder if it still will be at the top when its had 20 sets of ratings like `WWISYA`, rather than the 11 its received right now. Lets hope so because its a fine routine. All we need now is some of these fans of Pans to join in with the PPCS.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

VintageVideos
Yeah I agree it would be nice if it received a few more ratings, but I'm sure in time it will. Will it ever make the 20 though, I'm not so sure.
This is one of those routines that I would love to see on a Pan's DVD. Judging from a few screenshots posted on this thread, it seems to exist in broadcast quality

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

Doc
From what I remember the colour version off the Levine tape now safetly locked in the Kal vaults is also in good enough condition to broadcast.

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

Whilst this version is clearly not the best representation that is out there, the dance is lovely, cute and charming and a perfect valentines winter warmer.

A heartfelt performance in more ways than one, and a soundtrack that is epic and funky in equal measure.

10/10 DOTD Ruth

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

PattiForPM
I see you're having a short skirts night Mikey; something we all need from time to time methinks

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

I absolutely adored this routine.  I (along with the girls) copied this in the playground next day and I think it ranks as one of the best Pans People dances ever.  It was so beautifully choreographed.  I still copy it now (which I am pleased about).  The whole dance had me mesmorized.  Classic
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: LOVE'S THEME -- 1974

Doc
A fine routine let down by the ropey B&W version that I guess the PVL leaked to promote what they had. Fortunately I've seen the version off the Levine tape and the colourful set adds a lot to the dance. Now BBC the next time you want to represent Pan's People throw away those tedious Get Down clips and show this and give us normal people a chance to see it again. 10/10