Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
Now then, now then, as it appens, guys and gals,
Would you believe, we've had to suffer so many incompetent and wooden introductions to our dance troupes fab routines. And would you believe some of them are cringeworthly embarrassing. So my question is who is the least obnoxious of that Smashy and Nicey breed of D.J from the 1970s. I have to say, talking from a Ruby Flipper fan's perspective, the Hairy Cornflake was fun with all his mispronunciations of the RF name and he did at least get into the spirit by joining in the dancing in a couple of routines.
Was Mr Saville really so creepy, guys and gals?
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

PattiforPM
Excellent idea Carl.  Without being too jingoistic my absolute fave is Kid Jensen who seems really into the dancing girls (and boys) without fawning like the awful Peter Perfect.  Of course I love John Peel the most but he wasn't respectful enough of our ladies and gents at all

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
Hi Patti4PM,
yes, agree that Kid Jensen was relatively normal. John Peel had a completely deadpan piss-taking irony about the whole thing which I didn't like at the time, because I thought it looked like he couldn't care less about the show, but I've learnt to appreciate his humour in the meantime. Tony Blackburn has been accused of being way too bland. Anyone remember Emperor Roscoe? He seemed very Smashy and Nicey in an American way.
Now then, now then, as it appens guys and gals, Jimmy Savile does not seem to be too popular in these quarters either.
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Leave mad Mr saville alone Carl. He was my favourite dj on there as he wasnt affraid to do things like getting hands on with the audience girlies on camera. Edmonds always seemed to fancy his chances to with the ladies.
  Worst dj appearance was Simon Bates skipping of stage with Rosie, checkout `Green onions`. Like it was some freaky uncle and niece scene.

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
You can say that again about Mr Saville. It was hands on, but I don't know if the girls half his age appreciated it. But actually, I did think he did a good show. Open brackets, closed brackets, two points if you can say how many girls he attempted to touch on the show. We might need to refer to Dignified Don or Uncle Ted for clarification on this.
P.S. I'm going to see if I can find Green Onions on here.
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
Just watched that green Onions video. At least Mr Bates was wearing a tie! God, what year was this Green Onions, it has really dated- it sounds like it was from 1970, but obviously it wasn't if Legs were dancing to it.
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Green onions was 1979, originally about 1965 . Check out saville on` way down again` posted Jan 29th. Ultra creepy, his he gonna snog the girl ?

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Patti'sdaughter
It was 1980 early 1981.  The video.
amy x

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Just googled Green onions - Originally 1962, didnt think it was that old, And then again on the british chart Dec79 to Mar 80.

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
Yes but Noel Edmonds always ruined it with his corny puns!
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
Yes, ows about that then, Jim is trying to fix it so he can lean it for a kiss with that American girl. She seems happy enough doesn't she? Or do you think that when the camera pans away, she will slap him across the chops?
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
I think Tony Blackburn wins the award for being on TOTP for too long and on autopilot.  He thought there was a group called Tubular Bells and they sang 'The Champs Boys.'
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Suefan
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Were these views really that prevalent at the time I wonder?

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Carl check out Tony Blackburn in `Jungle rock` danced by L&Co . Hes standing in a cooking pot looking very uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Suefan
I can think of a more deserving occupant of that cooking pot Ryan, someone by the name of Hurll.

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
Hey Ryan,
that is another one of the girls' routines that i have already watched. I thought they did really well with the special effects of the animals!
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Suefan do you mean Michael hurll ?

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Suefan
I do indeed Ryan.  With the heads up from Jez I have been watching some of their backing up work on YouTube and I'm not a happy bunny - what a waste of real talent, relegated to the background behind a different bunch of "gawd help me's" each week.

Carl, those are no special effects, that's Ryan, P4pm and me in those animal outfits!

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
i bet there was a fight to see who was going to get the octopus outfit, lol!
Carl

Re: Least Worst TOTP D.J.

Floid Fan
Edmonds always used to put on a plummy voice every now and again. His attempts to chat up the girls on the stage during the 'Don't go braking my heart' routine are so corny.
Carl
123