Legs & Co picture from Aberdeen

This picture and the relevant article was posted in the picture section by YMG, where it has attracted a bit of comment. As topics for discussion are much rarer these days ive also posted the pic here and a link to the article. Ive also moved over the discussion posts that were posted in the pic section, as id prefer to keep that just for images.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/dad-two-who-cheated-death-7473655

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

GiLuRo
I have seen the photo before but not on here, it was when I was looking at some Legs & Co pictures online and was directed to the same article in YMG's link. Any idea when it was taken? Looking at Pauline's, and especially Lulu's perm I'd say it was probably 1978

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Yes with no Rosie in shot (unless shes behind Pauline) id say this may have been taken in the first half of August 1978 when Rosie was away from TOTPs for 2 full weeks. Once again its Lulu in the driving seat (this time for real) and i assume she was the only one who was qualified to drive back then. I wonder why the three girls standing are decked out in bikinis, yet a nervous looking Pauline whos hanging on, isn't ? I would like to find out more about the picture too. We know so much about Legs & Cos TOTPs appearances, but we dont know so much about Legs & Co activities away from Wood Lane.

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Suefan
The night club owner, the chap who came up with the more secure container design and whose name now escapes me, had lent the girls the jeep to drive around the grounds of his pad while they were up in Aberdeen for the weekend. Why Pauline is so covered up remains a mystery.  Perhaps she had forgotten to pack her swimwear.  After all heatwaves in the granite city are something of a rarity even in August!

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

We know so much about Legs & Cos TOTPs appearances, but we dont know so much about Legs & Co activities away from Wood Lane.
Very true Ryan, there seems to be very little information about the girls away from TOTP's, as individuals they don't even have a Wiki page, yet far lesser 'celebrities' these days seem to. It was almost as if they turned up every week to do the show then disappeared off the face of the earth until the next time. We know so much about the performances and appearances, but it would be nice to know a little more about the girls away from the studio, having said that I do appreciate that people in the public eye are entitled to their privacy too.

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

It looks a very hot day and if Pauline had worn swimwear, i would imagine that her legs would have been burnt on that jeep bonnet, so maybe the fully clothed option was best.

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

GiLuRo wrote
 We know so much about the performances and appearances, but it would be nice to know a little more about the girls away from the studio, having said that I do appreciate that people in the public eye are entitled to their privacy too.
Yes its important to stress that im only concerned with professional activities away from TOTPs, like appearances and other TV work and only during the times when they were active dancers. There must have been loads stuff we would be interested in that we do not know about. If only the Sue, Lulu or Patti diaries would be published

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

mojo2007
Aberdeen and its real heat-waves.  It's my wife's home town and I've seen topless sunbathing on the beach.  On the private life matter is there not an interview  when Pauline talks about not being recognised in a bus queue ?

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

mojo2007 wrote
On the private life matter is there not an interview  when Pauline talks about not being recognised in a bus queue ?
Mojo, i think you may be referring to TOTP [True Story] transmitted in 2001. The Pauline/Rosie segment about the bus stop starts on the link below at about the 2 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX-FSP8jpmA

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

PattiForPM
A couple of points leading from this picture:

How much fun are these girls?

...and with Lulu's hands off the wheel and Paline looking distinctly concerned on the bonnet I think we have to consider the possibility that Rosie has already been thrown  from the vehicle (safely as there was no long term Dancing absence)

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Didn't Radio 1 have a week up in Scotland? Seem to remember Peter Powell saying something about it on TotPs. Scotland was high profile in 1978 as England, the football team under Don Revie, had failed to qualify for the second World Cup in a row, while Scotland were again the banner bearers for the UK. Whenever it was, they were blessed with fine weather, though Pauline might beg to differ. Nice photo, though.

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Say When
I can shed some light on Pauline’s attire and less than ‘sunny’ facial expression in this picture. She had been feeling unwell on this trip – some sort of shivery stomach bug, she recalls – and, although she was willing to go along with the photo shoot, she didn’t feel up to stripping off like the others. She also remembers missing out on a Hot Air Balloon trip in Aberdeen for the same reason although isn’t sure whether this would have been before or after the above picture was taken.
Mike

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Sue Menhenick
  Yes Say When (!😉!). I remember the Aberdeen trip and it was such a shame that poor Pauline wasn't well ......it was a really hot weekend hence so some of our attire !   We did do a balloon trip  but it was later in the day .... The sun was starting to go down as the balloon took off and the Aberdeenshire countryside looked incredible from high up above. Incredible experience ..... It was definitely one our more enjoyable working weekends !
We were most certainly spoilt by some very kind people ......

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Everything'sRosie
Hi Sue, do you remember what you were pointing at. Had Rosie fallen off or something?

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Sue Menhenick
Hi Everything's Rosie ...... I think it might have been one of our hosts who was larking about !   Also , just or the record, the only 2 at that time who didn't drive, were Patti and Gill .... the rest of us (as well as Ruth and Flick)  all drove , but we're very happy to be chauffeured by the very capable Lul !

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Thanks to Say When & Sue for your input (nice to see you both posting on OFTDs again) and for filling in the blanks regarding the photo. Also thanks Sue for the additional info regarding who could drive back then, every titbit of info is always welcome

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Sue Menhenick
Lulu used to drive a Volkswagon Polo to begin with .....
Rosie drove initially a Citroen 2CV,   A great car you could push with one hand if it needed a push start (!) which wasn't very often ! Then she moved on to a bigger Citroen model .....
Pauline had an Alfa Romeo to start with I believe .....
Flick drove a sporty Fiat 19
Ruth had a 'half timbered' car ! The classic Morris Minor !
And I drove the humble Fiat 127 !

And none of us were guilty of road rage !! 😉

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

PattiForPM
Thanks again for the run-down Sue.  Some interesting matches there. Somehow I really like the picture of Ruth in a classic Morris and happily I think I might have had a fighting chance of catching several of you in my clapped out orange Ford Escort if only I had known who to race in the late 1970s

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Great car the 2CV.  A group of us once took a Sahara from Lusaka to Dar Es Salaam and it only broke down twice there and back.

Re: Legs & Co 1980 and beyond

Sue Menhenick wrote
Ruth had a 'half timbered' car ! The classic Morris Minor !
I always thought it was a bit odd to make cars out of wood, but it certainly gave them a unique look. I do remember being fascinated by the trafficators that used to stick out to indicate which way you were turning!

Sandy Borne Appreciation Society