Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Here is something to ponder on. We all know that the Legs & Co footage from TOTPs is all but full, but what about those tantalising missing few minutes that seem to be lost to history. I remember a time on the internet when less than 50% of Legs routines were available to us to view, much was still to be uploaded, or even to be discovered. Anyway, see if you agree with my calculations below and lets tot up the missing minutes.

By the way, i do believe the presenter intro is also worthy of inclusion when it comes to Legs & Co, do im including that too.
Spinning Rock Boogie

This was the show when Legs & Co got named.
No presenter intro.
Routine incomplete.

Id say a minute for the naming, 20 seconds for the presenter (DLT) intro and 75 seconds missing from the routine.

A total of 2 minutes 35 seconds.
Do You Feel Like We Do

No presenter intro.
Routine incomplete.

More of this routine is missing, so ive gone for 90 seconds of it lost. Add to that the 20 seconds of Kid Jensen's intro.

A total of 1 minute 50 seconds.
Somebody To Love

No presenter intro.
But the routine is complete.

So just the 20 seconds for Ed Stewart's missing intro.

A total of 20 seconds
Never Get To Heaven If You Break My Heart

No presenter intro.
But the routine is complete.

So just the 20 seconds for DLT's's missing intro.

A total of 20 seconds
Sound And Vision

No presenter intro.
I do think the routine footage that survives may have had the first and last second lopped of, i can hear no applause at the end of it. So id say its two seconds short.

A total of 22 seconds
Nights On Broadway

No presenter intro.
Maybe the first second is missing.

A total of 21 seconds
Oxygene

No presenter intro.
Don't know about you, but i reckon a second at the start and maybe a couple of seconds at the end are short.

A total of 23 seconds
Way Down 3rd version.

Kid Jensen's presenter intro is missing.
The performance does survive as it was repeated on a later show.

A total of 20 seconds.
So i make that a total of 6 minutes 41 seconds.

Of that, my guesstimation of actual missing dancing is 2 minutes 51 seconds.

Have i forgot any ? Do you agree with my estimations ? Let me know and i will amend my table accordingly.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Doc
Has video of DLT's intro and outro survived for Boogie Nights. It certainly survives as audio only if not.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Doc
There would also be the intro for the repeat of I Feel Love on 04/08/77.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Not much to add to this list, except maybe:

RYAN wrote
Spinning Rock Boogie
Id say a minute for the naming, 20 seconds for the presenter (DLT) intro and another minute missing from the routine.
As the record is just 2.45 mins long, I like to think they danced to the complete tune, so make that 1.15 mins missing.

And to the best of my knowledge, there is no footage of DLT introducing Boogie Nights. All we have is an audio recording.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

The audio to Peter Powell's intro to Stars on 45 07/05/81 seems to be missing as well.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Well i have heard the intro for Boogie Nights does survive. Must admit ive not got it though.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Ok i will amend that then.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Doc wrote
The audio to Peter Powell's intro to Stars on 45 07/05/81 seems to be missing as well.
Ironically we have the footage though!

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

I did have the audio but appear to accidently deleted it (very BBC of me). I seem to remember it being a rather cringe worthy comment about not shooting ladies. Although he made up for it at the end with the talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve comment.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Doc wrote
There would also be the intro for the repeat of I Feel Love on 04/08/77.
Best not bother with repeat or repeat intros minutes. Just the original.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Interesting what TV Brain shows for 10/02/77: Digital Betacam Copy of a D3 digital videotape. There is no use of the One or more sequences exist comment which suggest that they believe that there is a complete copy of it somewhere but not in their collection.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Yes im 90% sure the intro is out there.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

Suefan
Yes I'm sure it is as well but when every dance second is gold it gets left on the cutting room floor!

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

I wonder how much of the 3rd `Stars on 45` when the girls wore green was left on the cutting room floor. Its obvious that the girls were only instructed to dance to the first portion of the song due to the truncated nature of the show that day, but there must have been more than the 27 seconds that we saw.

Id suggest that they started dancing from the commencement of the piece and around 16 seconds into it was what was actually broadcast. So simple maths tells me that 16, plus 27 and say another 10 seconds or so before the director said "cut" gives us around 53 seconds of which 26 seconds was disposed off.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

PansLegs
If you extrapolate these musings to the multi-layered performances with separate shots edited together for the final version, then there's bound to be countless minutes that were recorded and ended up being discarded. As well as any rehearsal footage that might have been surreptitiously recorded.

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

PansLegs wrote
As well as any rehearsal footage that might have been surreptitiously recorded.
Yes, like you say, loads of rehearsal footage and other multi layered footage for Legs & Co must have ended up on the cutting room floor and then disposed off. My musings are mainly dealing with the footage that was broadcast on TOTPs back in the day and sadly seem to be lost forever.

Maybe you PL via your vast archive can shed a bit more light on any of the missing minutes ? Screencaps of missing Legs & Co presenter intros will be gratefully accepted !

Re: Legs & Co's lost minutes.

PansLegs
RYAN wrote
My musings are mainly dealing with the footage that was broadcast on TOTPs back in the day and sadly seem to be lost forever. Maybe you PL via your vast archive can shed a bit more light on any of the missing minutes ?
As far as missing minutes broadcast on TOTP go, I'm afraid not.