Quantcast

Legs and Co, Who were they and how to recognize them.

Legs and Co, Who were they and how to recognize them.

Who were Legs and Co?
Every wondered who the dancers in Legs and Co were or do you struggle to put a name to a face. Well it was the same for me in the 70's, I could only ever remember Sue! Now that I know who they are I've created these pages to help out others with the same problem.

Legs and Co were formed in 1976 to be the regular dance troupe on Top Of The Pops after senior people at the BBC objected to the mixed sex dance troupe Ruby Flipper. 3 of the Flippers, Sue, Patti and Lulu were kept on and were joined by 3 new girls, Pauline, Rosie and Gill. One other ex Flipper Floid would occasionally come back to make guest appearances with them. This line up remained constant until 1981 when Pauline decided to leave. She was replaced by Anita. They usually performed with 6 dancers, however it was not uncommon for only 5 and sometimes 4 girls to be used to allow for holidays and sickness. Late in 1981 the Top Of The Pops producer decided that they were no longer the 'in thing' and they were replaced on the show by Zoo, a constantly changing roster of dancers that were hired for each show. After leaving the TOTP 3 of the girls continued on the cabaret circuit with a number of new dancers. In 1983 the troupe's name was changed to Smax and this lasted until the they finally called it a day in 1984. They appeared on TOTP over 300 times.
There were seven dancers that appeared during their time on Top Of The Pops and they are listed below.

Dancers that appeared on Top Of The Pops
(Showing years on the show)

 Sue Menhenick 1974-1981
 Patti Hammond 1976-1981
 Lulu Cartwright 1976-1981
 Pauline Peters 1976-1981
 Rosie Hetherington 1976-1981
 Gill Clark 1976-1981
 Anita Madhadervan 1981-1982

Dancers that joined after Top Of The Pops
Floid Pearce (Occasional)
Liz Green
Sandra Easby
Patricia McSherry
Tanya Lee

(Tanya replaced Liz and Sandra)

Choreography
Flick Colby 1976-1981

Manager
Ruth Pearson 1976-1981
Self managed from 1981

Guest Dancers
On TOTP very occasionally guest male dancers joined in with some routines, Floid Pearce was the only one to appear more than once. There are no known occurrences of any guest females.

A list of when other dancers joined them

Floid:
Stevie Wonder - I Wish (23/12/76)
Andrew Gold - Lonely Boy (14/04/77)
Bo Kirkland and Ruth Davis - You're Gonna Get Next To Me (16/06/77)
Donna Summer - I Feel Love (11/08/77)
The Real Thing - Let's Go Disco (25/05/78)
John Travolta and Olivia Newton John - You're the One That I Want (25/05/78)
Sylvester - You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) (21/09/78)
John Travolta and Olivia Newton John - Summer Nights* (25/12/78)
* - Also with five unknown male dancers

Alex: Startrax - Startrax Club Disco (13/08/81)
Jeremy: Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie - Endless Love (24/09/81)

(There are some occasions where they danced with the audience at the end of the show, these are not included).

Legs in disguise
How to tell who's who in routines where it's not easy to do so.
(coming soon!)

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Sue Menhenick
Pan's People 1974-1976
Ruby Flipper 1976
Legs and Co 1976-1983
Smax 1983-1984

Sue

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Patti Hammond
Ruby Flipper 1976
Legs and Co 1976-1983
Smax 1983-1984

Patti

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Lulu Cartwright
Ruby Flipper 1976
Legs and Co 1976-1983
Smax 1983-1984

Lulu

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Pauline Peters
Legs and Co 1976-1981

Pauline

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Rosie Hetherington
Legs and Co 1976-1981

Rosie

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Gill Clark
Legs and Co 1976-1981

Gill

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Anita Madhadervan
Legs and Co 1981
Zoo 1981-1982

Anita
Recent

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Flick Colby
Pan's People 1968-1972

Choreographer
Pan's People 1968-1976
Ruby Flipper 1976
Legs and Co 1976-1981
Zoo 1981-1983

Ruth Pearson
Pan's People 1968-1976

Manager
Legs and Co 1976-1981

FlickRuth

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Floid Pearce
Ruby Flipper 1976
Legs and Co occasional guest appearances 1976-1978, 1981-1983
Hot Gossip 1978 to 1986

Floid

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Patricia McSherry
Legs and Co 1981-1983
Smax 1983-1984

Patricia

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Liz Green
Legs and Co 1981-1982

Liz

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Sandra Easby
Legs and Co 1981-1982

Sandra

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Tanya Lee
Legs and Co 1982-1983
Smax 1983-1984

Tanya

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Doc
spare

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Doc
spare

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Doc
spare

Re: Legs and Co, Who are they and how to recogize them.

Doc
Don't post here - it's under construction!