Lie Down, I Think I Love You

14/10/1970: Opening of the musical sex comedy "Lie Down, I Think I Love You" at the Strand Theatre (now known as the Novello Theatre), London. Described as the UK answer to "Hair", it survived just thirteen performances. The play featured Louise Clarke & Tim Curry (of Rocky Horror Picture Show fame).

LIE DOWN, I THINK I LOVE YOU
London run: Strand, October 14th (13 Performances)
Music & Lyrics: Ceredig Davies
Book: John Gorrie
Director: John Gorrie / Geoffrey Cauley
Choreographer: Geoffrey Cauley
Musical Director: David Cullen
Producer: Daniel Rees
Cast: Tim Curry (Peter), Antonia Ellis (Kate), Ray Brooks (Tom), Vanessa Miles (Anna), Ray Davis, Malcolm Reynolds, Patricia Hammond.
Story: A strange kind of English version of "Hair", where a group of student-hippies, led by Tom and Anna, decide to "do their own thing", which apart from sex, drugs and nudity, includes putting a bomb on the top of the BBC's Broadcasting House. Tom's sister comes up from the country to see her gay brother and is shocked to find him presiding over a house full of drop-outs, but she still manages to appropriate Tom's boyfriend for herself.
Notes: John Gorrie, the original director and librettist, walked out of the show during rehearsals, and demanded that his name be taken off the posters and programmes.
(Info taken from "Over The Footlights")

Now that description did make me wonder about the kind of role that Louise was playing in that musical

And I presume Patricia Hammond is surely not our Patricia Hammond!?

Here are pictures of the Strand Theatre from 1988 and the original poster for the musical:

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
This is a fascinating feature VV, thank you.

It was indeed the 20 year old Patti already under her married name, she did at least one other musical.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiForPM
Yep good find Vin and I think this is new to me

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
I was wondering if you knew. I even looked into my copy of the PP site and there was a reference to Patti Hammond regarding the musical, but it was no more than a mention of the name. I must say until yesterday I wasn't aware of the fact that Louise and Patti played together on stage in 1970.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
It sounds from the other site rather as if Louise had dropped out of the show by the time it ran in October (your footlights listing doesn't have her in the cast list). A mirror article at the start of the year said she was just about to appear, but the production appeared troubled so maybe she was off the scene when it finally ran.

Apologies for OTing, but the reference to Georgie Fame is a bit of a puzzle as Patti's other musical, I can't find any reference to Georgie being in a stage musical.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Yeah I noticed she was missing from the Footlights listing. The Pan's People book says she was "in the cast" though. Another book, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show FAQ: Everything Left to Know About the Campy Cult Classic", also mentions "Pan's People dancer Louise Clarke". On the PP site, Gary Rose wrote in his biography for Louise that she "took to the West End stage when she landed a major role in the play Lie Down, I Think I Love You".
So all in all I think it's safe to assume that Louise actually played in that musical.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Fascinating stuff.

It's not for me to say, but are you not diverting the course of your own thread with this bombshell, Vin?

The "Lie Down" material is easily worthy of a thread on its own. Ryan (or myself) should be able to spin it off and conserve everyone's comments (i think). But it's your thread: so it's up to you.

Cheers

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
Louise's The Stage obituary has her actually appearing in the play

https://www.thestage.co.uk/features/obituaries/2012/louise-clarke/

However I still am a little dubious as to whether she did appear.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Similar info can be found here:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=96264424

But, of course, you never know if one writer does not simply copy from the other.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
Patti was in the Junior school of the Royal Ballet at the same time Penny Fergusson was in the Ballet school proper (they were born 6 years apart). So Patti may well have known the dancer Louise replaced in Pan's People.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

This is an interesting discussion but Louise would have been recording TOTP on that date, when they danced to The Carpenters (broadcast 15-10-70). I would have thought doing a play was a full time thing during its run (plus rehearsals beforehand), even if it was only short.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
I think it's quite possible that Close To You was pre-recorded a couple of days earlier (clue: no audience!) before the new charts were announced (e.g. on Monday). That would also explain why this dance was performed at all given that the record had - surprisingly - gone down the charts from 6 to 8.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiForPM
Do we assume that if this had been big success that Louise might have left PP/TOTPs then? (all hypothetical I know but maybe interesting to speculate)

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
I can't imagine she would have returned if it turned into a multi-year West End/Broadway extravaganza.

While I'm dubious Louise's stage appearance ever happened due to the delays getting the show on the stage, it looks like Ruth had a similar furlough arrangement which did take place in mid '69 to choreograph a TV show, and possibly Andi had a similar deal when she fell pregnant (though for whatever reason she didn't return after the year).
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Mikey
Apologies for bringing this one up again but i wanted to satisfy my curiosity and found a more detailed cast list in The Stage dated 22-10-70, although not an encouraging outcome from a Louise perspective, although Patricia was playing a character called 'Patti', hmmm.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
So whether Louise actually took part in the musical still remains doubtful. Thanks for posting this Mikey.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Mikey
No probs, i wish it could have been confirmed but it looks like she never made it to the opening night even if she was involved at an earlier stage.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
Yes, that seems to confirm that Louise wasn't involved in the play when it finally appeared; given its reception she was probably relieved.

Interesting Patricia became Patti for the show. The very well placed source who confirmed this is RF/L&C Patti also said Patti's other stage show was in a musical with Georgie Fame but I never found a musical with Georgie Fame in.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Mikey
I can see if i can find that, do we have any idea of which year?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
None at all unfortunately, as I think she was a jobbing dancer/model from around 1968 to 1976 (the Dougie Squires/Second Generation stuff I don't think was full time).  To say she must have appeared in a lot of things there seems surprisingly little record of her over this period (the lie down record, the snowden pics and the '72 article you found, a couple of Second Generation vids); suspect she's lurking uncredited in a lot of places.
...is she really going out with him?
12