MA NAH MA NAH -- [May]

MA NAH MA NAH Dance number 37 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Piero Umiliani and reaching No 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  12/05/77 Duration of dance -- 2.02 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Pauline 35                      Sue 35
Rosie 35                         Gill 33
Lulu 35                          Patti 30
 A link to the dance--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgUAbHhpTo

  Whether one considers this a fun filled routine or just plain silliness, it never fails to bring a smile to my face, infact it gives me rather a `Buzz`. Once again FC turns an annoying, yet catchy on the ear tune into something worth watching, with her creative juices working overtime.
  Im not sure what the tune is supposed to represent, but Flicks interpretation of it with the Bee and flower theme is spot on. As ever FCs go-to girl for these humorous roles went to the ever willing Sue, always up for a bit of fun. She plays the part of the eager to pollinate, yet keen to annoy Bee with great gusto. Loved her dancing big feet !
   The five pretty petal heads played their part too. With looks of bewilderment, annoyance and those delightful smiles, and not forgetting those kiss curls which gave them an even cuter look, their role in the routine makes this a regular play for me. I expect some of you to not mark this one to highly, but for sheer creativity and imagination from Flick and the starring role by Sue my score will be high. So its 9.5 out of 10 for me.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah

PattiforPM
This is a tricky one for me.  Flick's creative Theme, Sue's comedic Empress-Bee and the lovely Flower Girls all appeal and this is surely one of the best results for a goofy song in all their canon.  I just find it hard to mark out of 10 and when I consider some of the classic dances to come I can't put it in their league despite all these strengths.  7.5/10 but they all did the absolute best they could with this pig's ear.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah

bucksby
Great fun routine. I love the Muppets so this song although silly brings back good memories for me. TOTP showed it twice so they must have liked it too. a 9 out of 10.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah

Paperboyplod
So when Flick was lumbered with this little ditty to devise a dance routine for, she must of been totally baffled as to how to interpret it through Legs & Co. on stage. In the end it was a no-brainer, a silly song has got to have a silly routine. On the track itself the 'verses' if I can call them that, sounded like a bee buzzing away, & so the concept of a bee trying to pollinate a few flowers was born. In the face of such embarrassment that Sue may have suffered, she really gave this her all. The other girls are dressed as different coloured flowers, & they seem to have an avertion to sue coming along doing what sh does best as a bee. A nice fun routine this one, with the added bonus of pleasant garden scenery!

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah

Suefan
I do like this routine which transform an awful tune into a little treat.  Ryan has covered all the base but could I add a word to the costumes, in particular the extra large flower petals and above all those wonderful giant foam feet.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Floid Fan
what was that quote from Rowan and Martin's Laugh In:
'Very interesting, but stupid'.  A real quirky oddity, this one and a very humorous interpretation. Love Sue trying to punch the flowers. Great fun to watch. 8 out of 10
Carl

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Andeebee
8 for me, the girls look adorable as flowers, but Sue in a bee outfit I find mildly erotic.....
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Stu
I think this was always gong to be one of those marmite love it or hate it numbers. For me... well... the first time I saw it I thought 'what the the hell! this is bonkers!' the second time I thought 'Is it good or is it bad? I don't know but it's definitely quirky' the third time I thought 'this is bloody brilliant, just look at their faces' and that's pretty much where I stand now, I think it's fantastic and probably gives the girls more character than any others up to now. Easy scoring decision.

10/10

Stuey

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Old Bill
Except Stuey - unlike Marmite - everyone loves this one!

Flick's wonderful creativity has really pulled the rabbit out of the hat. And made a pig's ear of a song in to a real silk purse of a song. The dancing is of course not the most fancy, but it's not about that. It's fun and silliness and kiss-curls! It shows off the girls doing a bit of acting, and the close ups of bee-worry are super.

Sue if just the most adorable with her little tounge poking out determined to get at the flowers... I wonder if she ever did?!

Of course this will be one of the routines that modern-day smug illinformed tosspots will choose in the clip shows when they want to poke fun at 70s pop-culture or suggest Legs (or PP) were somewhat ridiculous. But what do they know?? And so what.

I love it. It seems we all love it.

A buzzing 9/10! (Would've been 10 if Sue had bought the outfit from Auntie!)
Jeremiah 31:13
LNV

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

LNV
Ma, no no no! That is what the words should be to this deplorable disaster. It is the aural equivalent of those horrid flashing lights that I detest in Routines as ‘Disco Inferno’ and ‘Got to Give it Up’.  Like those two visual cock-ups here we have a similar one but in sound. I can’t watch the damn thing till the end because of the so called…music??  However I do like the visual part of it, even though it seems no one is willing to admit that the ladies do not look too impressed with what they have been given to do, yet for us as a viewer they are attractive to look upon, in their colourful costumes and surprisingly brightly lighted setting that they sort of perform in. If I forget the aural annoyance and focus only on the appeal of the Legs Ladies I can persuade myself to give a decent marking but this has to be taken as a whole unfortunately. We are here to review the dance routines as originally broadcast, or else I could use my own favourite tunes as backing tracks and award top marks to all the Routines, more or less.

4/10.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

VintageVideos
Now this may not be everyone's favourite but it's maybe the most original routine I've seen so far. Besides, I love the song (yes it's silly I know). Not a real dance, more like Sesame Street. But my rating is no less than 10 /10 (no kidding).

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Very silly song and a pretty good comedy effort to do something with it. An 8.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Belt up!.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Mah Na Mah Na was my winner for the May 77 vote. The choreography might not be the smoothest and the original version of the tune sounds a little dated compared to later versions, but who can resist Lulu's frowns in those pale green stems of hers, whenever Sue's mischievous apoidea buzzes into view?.
9/10 DOTD Lulu.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
36 years ago I found this tune really irritating, and time has not been a great healer as it is still really irritating.
However, Flick has done a good job coming up with a routine which is memorable and original, and the girls do about as much as they can with it. The costumes look good and we see a range of facial expressions from the flower girls. Despite all this though, I can't score any higher than 7.5 out of 10.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

This tune as always been irritating,but our ladies do a good job on this tune. The setting is a garden and Pattl, gill, Rosie, Pauline and Lulu play flowers. We see these ladies in a row dressed as flowers being pested by a black yellow bumble bee. Played by the fabulous Sue. Who as a wonderful comic timing alway through the dance. The wonderful pulling of the face at the begin of the routine.

The score for this is 7 out of 10.

The Dotd will go to Sue. To me Sue could have become a good comic actress.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Suefan
This is a real triumph over the adversity of the song and warrants an 8 for invention and performance.  All the petals smell very sweet but Sue is the bees knees and gets my Dotd pick.

Re: Ma Nah Ma Nah -- 1977

Colm
One routine that will always make me smile - and appreciate the comic timing of the ladies. I love all the face-pulling and "forced smiles" that go on, in particular Sue's mugging of the camera during the "Doo doo da doo doo" bits, and Pauline and Lulu playing the perfect deadpan.

Score: 9.5 (I want to give it ten, but I just can't...)
12