MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 03/09/1970

Make It With You
Performed by Bread and reaching number 5 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 03/09/1970 Duration of dance - 3.06 mins
Dancers: Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP7_ikWHg_Q

The Pleasure Fair – what a great name for a late 60's pop band! You've never heard of them? Well, that's because they never had a hit. They did release one album though which was produced by a guy called David Gates. David was the son of a band director and piano teacher and had recorded his first solo single in 1957. Even though a string of further releases would follow, success seemed to elude him. When the Pleasure Fair's album flopped as well, he recruited one of their members, Robb Royer, and added song writer James Griffin to form a new group. As they weren't afraid to say that they wanted to make lots of money they decided to call themselves "Bread". Their first self-titled longplayer came out in 1969 but it was their second album "On The Waters" ("Bread … on the waters" is actually a play on Ecclesiastes 11:1) which became their breakthrough. This was mainly due to one song on the album: "Make It With You". Released as a single, it went all the way to No. 1 on the US charts and it also achieved a respectable No. 5 in the UK.

"Make It With You" is quite far removed from the psychedelia of the early 70's. Instead it's an almost saccharine ballad with a haunting melody which appealed to younger and older listeners alike. The double-entendre of the lyrics made it probably even more attractive.

"Make It With You" had just climbed from No. 15 to No. 7 on the UK charts and the American band obviously wasn't available, so this was the ideal choice for Pan's People to dance to. We're lucky that we can still watch this routine today, as the TOTP episode for that week was wiped. I couldn't quite figure out how this performance was saved but one theory claims it's been on a tape that belonged to Flick Colby and was handed to the BBC for the "Digging The Dancing Queens" documentary. Whatever the origin, "Make It With You" has been available to the public for many years now, and is one of those treasured early routines that belong in every decent collection.

For some reason, Andrea wasn't present, but the other ladies perform a very memorable dance – if you can call it a dance at all, as we can hardly see any moving feet. Instead, the girls are moving their hands, their heads, their hips, well everything that belongs to the upper body really. Their dresses look like nightgowns, with flowers and all, the hippie movement was still in full swing, you know! And the wallpaper - some psychedelic drawing of a tree possibly? Needless to say I'm more than happy that we have a colour version for this routine available! These things really take me back to that time when we seemed to have flowers everywhere. It may look a bit strange today when you consider that the song itself isn't psychedelic at all – but at the time those flowers just had to be there!

This routine is definitely one of the best of the 'early survivors'. Those slow moves are quite appealing, in fact I think the girls look very attractive. It's also great to see so many close-ups. The dreamy and sensual atmosphere suits the song very well, and I like the music too.

My rating for this routine is

9.5 / 10

DotD is really really difficult here but in the end I couldn’t resist Louise’s beautiful eyes.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Sue Menhenick
Its not really my place or business to comment on any of the 3 groups routines on these dance threads and certainly not for me to pick DOTD.... however, this PP number stands out for me as I will always remember seeing this on TV when I was still a ballet student and years before the reality of actually becoming one of this iconic group happened for me. Also someone asked me at the 'Book and Kitchen' PP book signing, what was one of my earliest and memorable memories of a PP number before I joined.... this is one of them.
Bread was one of my many favourite groups at that time, and especially that song...... You didn't often get to really see these stunning ladies up close and performing in such a laid back fashion...but it stood out and gave the audience a chance to see each girl individually... its also one of the few with Flick still dancing with the girls, and before she turned to being the full time choreographer. Its a song and routine that mirrors the softer and more vunerable side to each of them.
DOTD ?   All of them.
                                        Sue.

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Andeebee
Do I believe my eyes, Sue commenting on and offering a DOTD on a Pans People thread, surely not, but yes....can we tempt you to rate a Legs routine perhaps??

My take is shorter, I do like this song, and agree with Sue, it is one of my favourite's from the Bread repertoire. Still the routine is dreamy, sensual, and all of Pans look adorable and well frankly ha cha cha in this. This will make DOTD a bit more harder to do for me to choose, but will we see.

Not overtly classic Pans jigging, but laid back and mellow, nice to view with a cuppa and a chocolate finger with the vicar around.

Scores this week on ADB's door: 10/10

DOTD: well it has to be the hypnotic and gorgeous Ruth

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

GaryH
'Make It With You' was indeed a beauty. I recall seeing this originally on a B&W TV & then being completely blown away after viewing it in colour for the first time (probably from TOTP2 in the 90s). Flick did occasionally experiment with routines of expressionism devoid of dance & this, in my opinion was never surpassed. Who could ever forget beautiful Louise following the camera round as she turns her head? Quite stunning. I'd have to rate this a resounding 10/10. DOTD; Love 'em all but I'll have to go with Louise

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Old Bill
Firstly VV, I was thinking about yesterday's clue... "money...?? you want to make money with me!?" but don't worry - the penny dropped pretty quickly! ;-)
Secondly cracking write-up. We are very lucky this still exists in super quality and full colour. Although why would Flick have kept just one dance? Surely if she was in the habit of keep recordings she'd had have loads - if not all of them? And it's the handing of the tape to the BBC that caused it to leak out? I'm not convinced but of course I have no other alternative theory - it doesn't look like a rehearsal - but that said, I hope many more recordings are in the attic at Colby Towers!

Thirdly - Hi Sue! I would say that as a bona fide forum member and dance expert your comments would be very welcome and hugely enlightening. They certainly would be for me! I'm just so relieved that I don't disagree with you about this dance! Phew. :-)

The dance - and indeed the song - are both just simply beautiful, and to be honest seem to be made for each other. Every now and then when I hear an old song on the radio, I can't help picture the Flick dance that goes along with it and associate the song more with our girls than the artist. Get Down, Sir Duke and Love's Unkind are good examples. And now this is going to be another one I'm sure.

The simple psychedelic-lite set is lovely. It seems that post-hippy-height and summer of love and all that, around this time the swirling multi-coloured flowers that came out of it had soaked into the popular culture. I'm sure there weren't many ordinary terraced house back-parlours that hadn't been modernised out the 60s gloom with wallpaper like this. Anyways that's my take on early 70s pop culture and interior design anyways!
The frocks are lovely too - I really like those muted autumnal colours.

The "non-dance" nature of the dance, ie. the seated waving and swaying is to be marvelled. To me it seems as if this kind of dance - to do well - must be so much hardy to choreograph and to perform than an "ordinary" skipping and hopping about kind of dance to a funky designed-to-be-danced-to disco beat. I particularly like the bits where three of them are wrapped like a flower only to blossom before us, and then fading back to sleep after. Just that one movement sums up the whole dreamy intent and feel of the song.

Like Sue says, and thought at the time, it's so nice to see all the girls individually and close-up, with their gorgeous smiles lighting up the screen. Beautifully shot and lit although as usual the overlays are a bit of a distraction, but hey. I think I'm coming to expect them... "Oh here's the bloody overlay. Don't worry it'll be gone soon...."

This is one of bits of the Pops that rather than be referred to as a Pan's People "dance" or "routine" or "performance" - all which of course it is - but you could just call it "Pan's People." No other noun needed. It's them being them.

I just love this, and I could watch it over and over and over. It just looks and feels wonderful, and you can't help but be soothed and cheered by it. I'm sure it will be pretty popular with everyone. For me it has to be a perfect 10/10.

As DotD - everyone is gorgeous and brilliant. I wish I could take Sue's option here! Flick just looks dreamy, Babs is stunning with her beautiful hair, Ruthie is so seductive and alluring, and Louise is just heart-warming and heart-melting and heart-breakingly lovely. But after much deliberation my choice will be Dee Dee. Actually, after she looked at me like this at the end, it was a pretty quick decision to be honest!

Finally as a good Bible reading boy VV, Ecclesiastes 11:1 is never very far from my mind when listening to this album.
But when watching Pan's People I often think of Jeremiah 31:13...
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

I too admire this interpretation of the fine Bread ballad.  I really liked the Bread tunes of the early 70s and Guitar Man was consistently high on the "Best Song" charts I used to listen to back then.  The Pans ladies look quite lovely here as others have said and the sensual movements work really well with this song and you don't miss the leg movements much at all.  The long flimsy dresses work perfectly too as does the psychedelic tree in the background.  We are indeed lucky to have this performance in the fine colour version too and for this I give thanks but I don't have a relevant Bible citation unlike OB's good one (I had to laugh when I got caught in a loop with the Bible sales pop-up though).   I know we seem all over the map with DotD but I really like Flick in this one and the early shots of her are just breathtaking.  The mark for me is 9/10 and this was great to see again so thanks Vin for your work and for choosing this one.

Finally it's great to see Sue on this Thread and please Sue any time you have a comment on any of the Dances please don't hesitate.  TVC15 comes to mind!

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Yes its nice this clip survives, and it good to see Flick & the girls in all their glory. But i would never choose to play this as it just means little to me. Im not much of a classic Pans fan, but i much prefer their faster tempo routines. I find the song a bit yawnsome, and the routine the same. Im not surprised though at the string of high marks by the way as this is one that the `good ole boys` will like.  Sorry, but im not going to big up something that doesn't float my boat, even if its recommended from on high

DOTD, Flick.

Rating, 6 out of 10.

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Perhaps Andi was on holiday as she was back the following week.  Either way five works well for this recumbent routine and Flick's choreography fits the song nicely.  The close ups are the highlight and I'll score this as a 7.5 with Flick for her invention as my Dotd.

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

There's a camouflage theme going on here, & I do like it, the ladies look like five uber-cute-looking chameleons frolicking around on the edge of a forest, moving very slowly, & their arm waving looks rather sensual, what with their long hair intervening every so often, this is certainly a 'dance' routine that makes it's views feel nice inside them, & that's including me.

9/10

DotD:-

Flick

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

VintageVideos
What a nice surprise to come home from work, realizing that Sue has commented on this routine! I'd like to say, thank you Sue, and of course I am more than delighted that you took the time to share your valued memories with us. It goes without saying that your comments are always welcome!

Thanks also for the first batch of comments and ratings. I knew this would be popular with some but I did not expect three '10''s in a row. That is quite amazing! As is quite common with classic Pan's People routines, there's a wide margin between the different ratings and I understand this one may not go down so well with fans of the latter Pan's era. Anyway, let's hear some more opinions about it!
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Colm
This is a routine where Flick's choreography changed what for me was a non-descript song into something truly special.

The routine is delicate, welcoming and oh-so-passionate without being sordid, and no doubt appealed to all TOTP viewers; young and old, male and female, music lovers or passive followers. This routine is timeless, and never have the participating dancers looked so serene and beautiful.

Score: 9.5 (half point off for no Andi, sorry)

DotD: A difficult choice, but for those beautiful looks to camera towards the end of her part, I'm going for Dee Dee

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Vin i'm speechless surely some midtable dross is due soon like the one with babs and the horse from john denver

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

mojo2007
Always been a favourite for me  10.
 All the dancers look lovely but Ruth makes me want to know what she is thinking
mojo

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Lookmacinanger
There is a great deal to admire from this presentation but I can’t get that misty eyed about it. On the plus side the routine certainly captures the laid back mood of the track but the stage looked a bit uncomfortable to be lying across so I think some cushions would have been a nice edition.
Also I did enjoy the close ups of all those long eyes lashes and at one point thought one of Louise's was coming through the camera. 7/10, Dotd, Louise

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
I do understand that this may split the pack but I really think this one is like no other
Maybe I do dish out pans 10s too much but this is because my faves have popped up early.

Likes:
60s vibe typical look of early pans but in colour and one of the best at that time
slow song with fantastic slow dance to pull it off
no legs on show but somehow it doesn't matter
makes me want to hug the tv
costumes
Louise's hair
Sue likes too
Unique ( ok even more unique than ghetto child)
Big hair in general
sexy yoga class like
chilled out
camera work- girls framed individual or as pairs not as complete group
dee dee with hair like bobby gentry

Would be a desert island ten if Andi was not off sick and I didn't actually prefer faster dances

10 and dotd Lovely dearly departed Louise

hose me down

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Lovely review again BB if I may say so

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

thought the horse was John Denver

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

Hi p4pm I confirm sir Humphrey has lifted all sanctions over tensions for justin bieber and commonwealth games

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

I am a big fan of later Pans, but some the earlier ones I do like alot (not many mind you)

Re: MAKE IT WITH YOU -- 1970

This must surely be one of the most beautiful performances Flick ever devised, and certainly one of my favourites. Its very hippy cult worship inspired, but on the basis of this i'm in, if only someone would hurry up and invent time travel....please!. I've mentioned before i'm a fan of the hippy chick look, and these outfits must be from the nightware section of the 1970 catalogue, although maybe a little too sheer?.

The song is nice and dreamy and compliments the routine, mostly consisting of lots of writhing around on the floor, hair shaking and long lingering sultry looks to camera.

A wonderful performance, oh and its got a psychedelic tree too, what more could you want?.

10/10 DOTD Flick